Apple Expanding Contactless Student ID Cards to 12 More Universities in Coming School Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It's about time!

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Make sense. As much as we are all tied into our smart phones and we have them with us all the time, this just seems like more of a simpler solution, which likely has been proven reliable as well.

We use the same entry level for our department that I work for, it’s just more convenient v.s. carrying an ID card with the risk of losing it.

3. Syrgul macrumors member

I use Stocard (https://stocardapp.com/en/ca) for that. I now only carry 2 physical loyalty cards, where they need to do a mag-stripe swipe, everything else has been digitized. If Apple Wallet doesn't support it natively, Stocard's got me covered.

4. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

The worst is the stupid transit in my city. You can add day, weekly and even monthly tickets digitally on your phone yet for your yearly subscription you still need to carry the card. HATE IT

5. MatthewUT44 macrumors member

ID cards are surprisingly a good business for my college. The black strip wears out so fast and a replacement is $36. My college will never implement this

6. whoknows2597 macrumors newbie

From what I can tell, other states are doing pilot programs, but one state in particular uses an App from the App Store for the drivers license, along with a legal fee. With that ID, based on the reviews, not many places accept digital IDs given that some stores are reluctant to accept. Also, there is no mention of it working with Apple wallet.

7. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Me too. Our building at work operates a policy whereby if you forget your pass, someone has to come down to get you. If we could have our passes stored on our phones it would save a good deal of time for those who forgot their pass and for those having to go and collect them.

8. ELman macrumors member

My only issue with drivers license is if you get pulled over or are involved in an accident. Will you need to give the officer your phone so he can copy your license information? I would not want to hand over my phone for this.

9. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

FBI just made a visit to Little St Jeffrey.

Word is they didn’t need no stinkin passes.

10. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Meanwhile the big state university in my city is being constantly defunded by our legislature (I'll give you one guess which party) and has internet that caps out at 15-20Mbps. I doubt the students will get a luxury like this any time soon. What used to be the flagship university is turning into a dump. They don't even mow the lawn half the time, and edging? You can forget edging. And trimming low branches. I'm pretty average height and I have to duck constantly. It's rather embarassing because it used to be so beautiful.

11. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

or badges … LOL :)

12. 827538 macrumors 65816

Agreed, and with Tesla now using your phone as the key I could go about my day with only my phone in my pocket which would be great.

13. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Then I’m not interested. I might be petty but... hey it’s the same reason CurrentC failed.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’d support fingerprint or Face ID technology being tied to implied consent. If you get stopped you get identified by scan.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 ---
    You don’t need to hand your phone to the clerk when using Apple Pay, right?

15. cajun67 macrumors regular

cajun67

Just give me a chip in the back of my right hand or in my forehead.

16. lederermc macrumors 6502a

lederermc

What next RJ45 in the back of your head?

17. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

E-Creds are already being circulated in closed-loop testings. We have a couple contracts with live use of them at the moment, including official government ID's.

They're probably 2 or so years from a slow roll out

18. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

That's been a thing
    for awhile now. Before CVS had their card available in app for scanning, I used some utility (can't remember the name) to create a CVS Apple Wallet pass. Really freaked out the cashiers who didn't know what to do with it (before I gently told them to scan it, like a "real" card).

19. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Issue is you need some sort of dynamic barcode because RFID isn't common enough, and you can't have people screenshotting and duplicating somebody's ID. The issue is that a lot of people outside the state government's control rely on drivers license/id cards: alcohol sellers, cell phone stores, school security, package pickup, airport security, etc.

They'll just switch to billing the people with card readers... $50/month/door, at the school where I used to work.

20. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors regular

In my company, our access badges are also used as ID badges and we're expected to have them visible at all times.

21. BigMacLover macrumors newbie

When the robots take over, will we be allowed to choose if our Master is running iOS or Android?

22. Simm95 macrumors newbie

I am lucky enough to go to a school that offers it. It's so convenient, and has a high rate of usage among students. With express mode activated, you don't even have to unlock your phone or even wake it to purchase a meal on a food plan, use a printer, or unlock doors.

23. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

You can set any Apple Pay card, including ID passes and transit cards, as your Express Card. Has nothing to do with universities.
    Loved using it at OU. Shame it was only for my last year there.

24. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

This always seems to be the question that comes up. No. The officer scans a barcode off of the phone.
    The apps aren’t bad at all. But they need to be secure and verifiable. Hence the proprietary apps rather than Apple wallet.

25. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Great idea, but what would the 'card' look like? Just a picture? If so, you can create an Album in Photos.