Apple Expanding Contactless Student ID Cards to 12 More Universities in Coming School Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Optheduim macrumors regular

2. zhowez macrumors newbie

zhowez

3. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

What you suggest would be really helpful, and I'd like it too, but in the meantime, I've been able to use the Stocard app and/or PassSource website to put most of the cards I want into Apple Wallet (one supports some cards, the other supports other cards, yeah, it's not ideal). This includes my library card and several supermarket/drug/pet store loyalty cards. Once you have the card in Apple Wallet, you don't need the app/website.

My drivers license is the only other card I need to carry, most of the time (still carry a credit card and a debit card, just because, though these days it's relatively rare that I pull them out - I can even activate my bank's ATMs using Apple Wallet).

4. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

This great and truly is the future. I wonder how hard this would be to implement at small businesses?

Oh, and Go VOLS!

Attached Files:

5. lmac33 macrumors newbie

lmac33

Cops take your license back to their car when writing a ticket or filling out a collision report. Do you want them to take your unlocked phone back to their car?

Edit: ELman beat me to it...

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I personally wouldn’t care. That’s just me though. Anything sensitive still requires faceID.

7. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Love this. Wish we had it when I was in school. Also, go VOLS. :)

8. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

Ultimately, pervasive Face ID sensors connected to a global biometric database will let Apple identify you for any purpose, any place, with no physical token. They will only charge governments 30% of GNP for access to this utopia.

9. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

We are EVERYWHERE!

10. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

i don't remember ever losing my student id both in uni and grad, but my driver license on the other hand...hell my dad has gone so far as clipping it to his car key for good measures.

11. GalileoSeven macrumors regular

......good ol' NU??

12. Apple Freak macrumors newbie

Apple Freak

My only hang up with the digital driver license/proof of insurance thing is that if I get pulled over I don't want to hand my phone to a cop. I'd rather just hand them only those physical cards necessary.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

Oh god here we go again. Please do your research people. ALL DIGITAL DRIVERS LICENSES ARE SCANNABLE AND THE COP SCANS IT, YOU DO NOT HAND THE PHONE TO THE COP!

I seriously feel I have to post this EVERY SINGLE TIME THIS TOPIC COMES UP! Louisiana has this now, you DO NOT HAVE TO HAND THE PHONE TO THE COP!

--- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 ---
    See my post above.

14. TrulsZK macrumors regular

TrulsZK

Yes hope to see more use of access cards in Wallet not just payment/transit cards, like Employee ID, Hotel Room key, etc

Still wondering when I can
    - Checkin online and select room
    - Receive Hotel Room key in Wallet
    - Go straight past reception and unlock door by tapping Watch / iPhone on lock
    * And yes I know that some SPG and Hilton hotels offer this with their own app, but you get the point - Hotel Room key in the Wallet app. Not unlocking door via Bluetooth and using the hotel app

15. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

It's getting closer! I was excited to try the "digital key" feature at Hampton but it wasn't working when I stayed there. At Walt Disney World your "magic band" you wear on your wrist is also your room key. I'd love that functionality in my watch at a regular hotel.