Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun selling certified refurbished 2018 MacBook Air and Mac mini models in the United States and Canada for the first time, following availability in several European countries starting Friday.

refurb-mac-mini-2018-macbook-air-2018.jpg

In the United States, refurbished pricing starts at $1,019 for the base model MacBook Air, down from $1,199 brand new, and $679 for the base model Mac mini, down from $799 brand new. Various other custom configurations are available for each Mac with discounts up to 15 percent versus brand new prices.

While the refurbished higher-end MacBook Air models may be worth considering, the base model is worth passing over, as authorized resellers such as Amazon and B&H are offering it brand new in box for $999 in the United States.

Orders placed today are estimated for delivery by early next week. We recommend using Refurb Tracker to monitor inventory.

Apple says certified refurbished MacBook Air and Mac mini models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, with all manuals and cables included in the box. In our view, a refurbished Mac is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new one. They're also backed by Apple's standard one-year warranty.

A refurbished Mac's warranty can be extended to three years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+.

(Thanks, Jason A!)

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon and B&H. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Apple Expands Availability of Refurbished 2018 MacBook Air, Mac Mini to U.S. and Canada

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
How is it a deal if your own official channel partners are selling brand new units for less??
It’s been like this for years. I never understood why people go crazy over the refurbished items. I find most much cheaper brand new at MicroCenter. I guess it’s good for those with limited local options.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It’s been like this for years. I never understood why people go crazy over the refurbished items. I find most much cheaper brand new at MicroCenter. I guess it’s good for those with limited local options.
I can think of a couple of situations where the refurb is superior, but not many. Only two off the top of my head
  1. You don't live by an Apple Store so you can't just go out and add AppleCare+ to your machine without significant inconvenience (the only realistic scenario)
  2. You are, are friends with, or have a family member who is an Apple employee and you can get an additional 15% off the refurbished price AND get 15% off AppleCare. (small subset of people)
I bought a refurbished MacBook Air because of reason 2. It allowed me to get some amazing specs for a crazy low price. But that's just not normal for people.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I can think of a couple of situations where the refurb is superior, but not many. Only two off the top of my head
  1. You don't live by an Apple Store so you can't just go out and add AppleCare+ to your machine without significant inconvenience (the only realistic scenario)
  2. You are, are friends with, or have a family member who is an Apple employee and you can get an additional 15% off the refurbished price AND get 15% off AppleCare. (small subset of people)
I bought a refurbished MacBook Air because of reason 2. It allowed me to get some amazing specs for a crazy low price. But that's just not normal for people.
I thought you could buy AppleCare+ after purchase via phone? I did a few years ago. They just ran a remote hardware test.

Reactions: uecker87

StarryNights

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
NY
Another reason some people prefer the refurbished Macs is that they actually have more thorough QA and inspection compared to an off the shelf brand new unit.

criticasm

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2017
Won’t get any MacBooks until the keyboards are redesigned
Won’t get any Mac mini until the Bluetooth issue is fixed

Won’t get any iMacs until they refresh them

Isn’t it sad that I have a hard time spending my money on Apple nowadays

Hey Haru, you forgot about the flex cable screen failure on MacBooks. That's the worse issue yet & surprised there's yet no lawsuits or Govt inquiries from consumer protection or even more focus by so called tech journalists for what was clearly designed to fail after a 1-3 years & require expensive repair.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Yup. I waited a couple years for better systems but finally gave up: Built a Linux desktop last spring and bought a Windows 2-in-1 this winter. I think Apple is only interested in one thing these days: iPhone.

I checked the pricing of these refurbs in my country and they're still overpriced for what they are. My 2012 Mac Mini is going strong. I'm actually in the process of installing Linux on it right now so I can use it as a small server for Pi-hole, etc.

Reactions: bigpics

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Hmm tempting for the Mac mini.

The spec I want is $230 off.

i7, 8GB RAM & 512GB SSD.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Won’t get any MacBooks until the keyboards are redesigned

Won’t get any Mac mini until the Bluetooth issue is fixed

Won’t get any iMacs until they refresh them

What is the issue with Bluetooth on the new Mac Minis?

[edit: Good luck getting people to buy Minis with only 256GB—or worse, 128GB (which should never be sold on this computer)—options for storage, since they can’t be upgraded].

Last edited:

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Where is the new MacBook Air for $999???

The links provided show normal prices.
It was all last week. The deal ended yesterday. Both had it for 999. Google Express had it for even less. And these sales aren't uncommon. Much better than taking a chance on someone else's unit they deemed wasn't good enough.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan

[edit: Good luck getting people to buy Minis with only 256GB—or worse, 128GB (which should never be sold on this computer)—options for storage, since they can’t be upgraded].

I have a 2012 Mac mini with a 256 gig SSD and it’s almost empty because I store all my files on an external thunderbolt drive and that works well for me, so 128 gig would be fine for my needs.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
When the price to buy someone else's rejected hardware is more than the new price at Amazon, Best Buy etc there's a problem.

No
When the price to buy someone else's rejected hardware is more than the new price at Amazon, Best Buy etc there's a problem.
uhhh the price listed in the article is not $999 and the refurb are 256gb instead of 128gb. I’d say that’s still a bargin.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018

There’s a design flaw with the hardware resulting in USB ports interfering with Bluetooth. Check the Mac mini forum for a huge thread on it

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
If I were to buy a 2018 Mac mini, I would get the entry-level model. I don't quite trust that T2 chip to not lose all my data, so I would only use the internal SSD for the OS and applications. And 128GB is more than big enough for that. The 2018 Mac mini has four extremely fast ports, connecting external drives to those should be nearly as fast as the internal, T2-locked-down SSD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.