Apple Expands Availability of Refurbished 2018 MacBook Air, Mac Mini to U.S. and Canada

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2019.

1. lowkey macrumors 6502

I bought a MacBook in 2015 and have been using it for 3 years no problems. I love that little machine!

Since then the keyboard has been redesigned twice, now up to rev.3.

It’s possible to come up with excuses for ever. No computer is perfect but the little MacBook is the best Apple laptop I’ve owned.

I’d rather have used it the last 3 years than Be carrying around my 15” 2013 MBP with the old keyboard.

2. PLin macrumors 6502

I usually buy Apple refurbished for custom configurations, which typically aren’t discounted by resellers as much as the stock configs are. I ended up ordering a refurbished i7 with 8GB RAM and 10G Ethernet. Also ordered a Crucial 32GB kit from Amazon for $215 to install myself.

3. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Um no. They are not more expensive.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    Apple Reburbs are basically brand new. They replace everything, have the same warranty and return period as new.. and you can buy AppleCare

4. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

Incorrect. Amazon, BH, and Google had the base Air for 999 or less all last week. The base unit refurbed from Apple is 1019. No one should waste money on a refurb when they can get new cheaper.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    They dont replace everything, and it's still cheaper to buy new when it's regularly on sale elsewhere.Refurbs are also given special serial numbers so if you try to sell them later it comes up as a refurb, which can scare some potential buyers off. Again, cheaper and better to buy new.

5. ibivibiv macrumors regular

This is where I am at right now as well. I'm a very active Apple customer normally but for now I'm going to pump the brakes until Timmy and pals figure "some stuff out". I think I'm good for awhile.

6. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

This.

The article should have said “Amazon OFTEN has the MacBook Air for $999.” Even that is pushing it. I’ve seen it at that price a few times and , honestly, the price should be $999 new from Apple.

A $999 is tempting, especially if it were to go on sale. $1199 is too much- especially with the lack of ports.

7. shanmugam, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

shanmugam macrumors 68020

3. BTO/CTO (build to order/custom to order) Configs generally not available in Amazon/Best Buy (only through some re-sellers like MacMall, B&H and so on) and sales (discounts) on them are very rare and even if exists very negligible compare to the Stock Models; they do go on sales when it is in clearance time only (very limited quantity and the next year model is out). Example MacBook Air -512GB SSD/16GB configs

4. some People have Apple gift card :)

5. very obvious, Refurbished prices are fixed whereas Amazon/Best Buy other re seller discounts vary from time to time.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Thanks. I'm still new to the refurb thing. My next iPhone (should I decide to get one) will probably be a refurb.

9. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Not the Air’s, anyway. Especially with the lack of tax at BH.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    And no tax from BH (if you’re not in NY or NJ)?

10. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

As far as BH technically you’re supposed to pay the sales tax anyway and they now add it to half the states now and soon it will be all states that have a sales tax. I like refurb but I usually buy brand new as soon as it’s released to get the most and best usage case. I might get one of the minis for my business office as I have a 2011 mini still going.

11. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Bingo! (bells, whistles, balloons fall)... I'm 150 miles from any Apple store or MicroCenter, 30+ from even a Best Buy. Staples is allegedly an Apple reseller, but I've never seen anything at the store here. This is the only option for a lot of people looking for discounts and Apple probably doesn't have that many refurbished units to even want to compete.

12. Jack Neill macrumors regular

Jack Neill

13. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

I like the new Mac Mini but the refurbished should be at LEAST $200 cheaper. Else what is the incentive?

14. wdwbunch macrumors newbie

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

You mean Trump it on China?

16. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

I can see 256GB for the OS and most apps, but 128GB might be too tight for me. Unfortunately I have a couple apps that require all files for the app to be stored with the program on the main drive in order to work properly.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:18 AM ---
    I have the same model year Mini. I am currently looking into upgrading my network hardware, so I am curious how you are using / integrating it. Would you mind PM’ing me a bit about your setup?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:23 AM ---
    Some of us live in states outside NY and NJ where you are legally required to pay sales tax on any item purchased from out of state on which you were not charged tax.

Does your state not have a line on its tax form for Sales and Use tax?

17. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

The sales they do sometimes have on BTO’s but are more often for TOTALLY maxed out units.
    Are you serious?

I’ve bought two items from Adorama and B&H; the first Retina iMac and a 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

No, I did not report those purchases and I did not pay taxes.

18. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Yes, I am serious. It is a matter of integrity. “Pay unto Caesar, that which belongs to Caesar,...” I never said I liked paying the tax.

19. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

I don’t have any integrity then. The state of IL shakes me down enough. I skirt when I can get away with it.

You might be the first person I’ve ever heard admit he goes out of his way to pay taxes.

20. shanmugam macrumors 68020

true, generally those machines are not really for people looking for discounts/sales, agreed? very expensive with proportionate discounts (like $300 to $500 off on $2999 plus machines)

Maxed Out machines are generally for Professional use where company bears the cost. I could be wrong.

21. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

For sure. Those high end BTO machines aren’t made for people just looking for deals. When I’ve bought from Adorama and B&H it’s just been base level stuff.