Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has leased Tech Place on 101, a 202,000-square-foot building under construction at 2509 Orchard Parkway in north San Jose, California, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The new building is located next to a large parcel of vacant land, owned by realty firm Steelwave, where up to two more office buildings could be built to accommodate around 3,000 workers.

01_techplaceon101_web.jpg
Steelwave render of Tech Place on 101 building in north San Jose

Apple, headquartered in nearby Cupertino, has been steadily expanding its presence in the Bay Area. In north San Jose, it owns or leases multiple properties along Orchard Parkway, between North First Street and U.S. Highway 101, including the 296,000-square-foot 101 Tech R&D building and a massive 43-acre development site approved for up to 2.8 million square feet of office space.

Apple's north San Jose campus could potentially employ up to 20,000 workers.
"They are taking this building to control that entire neighborhood," said David Vanoncini, a managing partner with Kidder Mathews, a commercial realty firm.

If all the sites were built out to their full capacity, over time, Apple potentially could employ up to 20,000 workers on the north San Jose properties.
The company also reportedly expanded into San Francisco for the first time in July, leasing a 76,000-square-foot office space in the popular South of Market (SoMa) neighborhood, and further bolstered its Bay Area presence by acquiring a 770,000-square-foot property in Sunnyvale.

Apple-San-Jose.jpg

Apple now has real estate in five Bay Area cities, including Cupertino, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Clara and Sunnyvale. In addition to its One Infinite Loop headquarters, the iPhone maker continues development on its nearby "Campus 2" project, which remains scheduled for completion in late 2016.

Article Link: Apple Expands in North San Jose With Lease of 'Tech Place on 101' Building

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So, pretty soon, Apple will own San Jose...

When I was out there, I was amazed with all of the property that I saw around Infinite Loop that had Apple logos in front. All this buying and leasing spree makes me wonder what the ring mother-ship is for...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
http://www.wsj.com/articles/unpacki...llaboration-1445372039?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

“These are issues close to our hearts,” said Mr. Ive of the intertwining of fashion and technology. “Our understanding will temper and define future products we’re working on. We’re only starting.”

I wonder exactly what these future products might be beyond the Watch/wrist. With all this real estate Apple is snapping up there must be some pretty big stuff in the pipeline. What do you need all this space for otherwise?

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I know companies have to have a plan that covers the death of executives, but I guess they don't have to have one in the event of major earthquakes. The concentration of your whole business in that area is stupid.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Build a cube on the 45 acre property to maximize space and set up a commuter to offsite parking. When Campus 2 is running, demolish Campus 1 and build a World Trade Center class building on the property. Extend the commuter system to that property and Campus 2. Reclaim Campus 2 parking for more space. Think different.

Think outside the car.

The cube can have light tube tech as well as wall mounted monitors to simulate windows.

Last edited:

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
Are high rises not allowed in this area? It seems to me that it would make more sense to build up rather than have your company spread over the bay area.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/unpacki...llaboration-1445372039?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

I wonder exactly what these future products might be beyond the Watch/wrist. With all this real estate Apple is snapping up there must be some pretty big stuff in the pipeline. What do you need all this space for otherwise?

Well, according to Back To The Future, we should have flying cars, hover boards, dynamic news papers, self drying coats that also automatically size adjust, and weather predictions down to the second.

However, things really haven't changed that much from when the movies were made.

If we ever are visited by space aliens, I hope they don't have a 'prime directive', as our capitalistic society is pretty much stagnant. I'd welcome some really new and Earth shaking technology for a change.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bryan Bowler

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

iHouse

They have to be able to show modular houses.
You don't need keys, just fingerprint. Refrigerator compounds shopping list. Closed will highlight clothes that need washing and presort for dry cleaning etc. etc..

Siri: I want to take a both in 15 minutes will draw a bath (For me it would flood the basement or call somebody)

Problem to be solved: With a SAMSUNG chip the milk will get sour.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I wonder if all this expansion is commissureate with the products they are churning out? I hope these aren't just supervisors supervising other supervisors in a gigantic bureacracy.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Too bad they can't jam pack everyone into the new Campus building.

Not enough public transport or roadways into that site for that number of people. (Yet?)

When Campus 2 is running, demolish Campus 1 and build a World Trade Center class building on the property. Extend the commuter system to that property and Campus 2. Reclaim Campus 2 parking for more space. Think different.

Apple can afford to fund an underground subway or hyperloop transport to nearby Caltrain stations or even to BART.

Are high rises not allowed in this area?

Note how close SJC, the San Jose airport, is to the Orchard Parkway site.

Perhaps this is a secondary site for disaster recovery, in case Campus 2 goes tits up.

That's what might be going into Apple's new Austin Texas site. A large part of the entire SF Bay Area's infrastructure, from SF to San Jose to Cupertino, including lots of water mains, roads and overpasses, could well be trashed by the next big earthquake.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Great. Just what we need. More high paid tech workers in this area. No one can afford to live here anymore unless you work for Apple, Google, or Facebook.

onedsc

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
I live near that location and commute through that stretch of highway every day - 101 is a parking lot, 87 is a parking lot. Sure lets jam another 20k cars onto the highway - do the politicians just rubber stamp these things w/o even thinking of what it does to the people living nearby? Sounds like Levi's Stadium all over again.

Reactions: 12vElectronics

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Not enough public transport or roadways into that site for that number of people. (Yet?)

Apple can afford to fund an underground subway or hyperloop transport to nearby Caltrain stations or even to BART.

Note how close SJC, the San Jose airport, is to the Orchard Parkway site.

That's what might be going into Apple's new Austin Texas site. A large part of the entire SF Bay Area's infrastructure, from SF to San Jose to Cupertino, including lots of water mains, roads and overpasses, could well be trashed by the next big earthquake.

Don't believe every movie you see. 99% of Bay Area office buildings will survive a major earthquake. Even the century old downtown San Francisco apartment buildings were reinforced after the last big one. As a SF resident, I feel like this is the safest place on earth after Japan to be in a major earthquake.

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
I live near that location and commute through that stretch of highway every day - 101 is a parking lot, 87 is a parking lot. Sure lets jam another 20k cars onto the highway - do the politicians just rubber stamp these things w/o even thinking of what it does to the people living nearby? Sounds like Levi's Stadium all over again.

If Apple didn't use that location, some other company would. At least most Apple employees use commuter shuttles, which is much better for the highway traffic.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Are high rises not allowed in this area? It seems to me that it would make more sense to build up rather than have your company spread over the bay area.
I'm not entirely sure if there is a law, but the density of skyscrapers and tall buildings definitely seems lower in California, presumably because much of the Bay Area is on the San Andreas Fault, so earthquakes are an architectural consideration. I'm not very well versed on the subject though.

dklcheng

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Santa Clara
I know companies have to have a plan that covers the death of executives, but I guess they don't have to have one in the event of major earthquakes. The concentration of your whole business in that area is stupid.

Um... you don't actually understand how to live in an earthquake area do you? I mean... it's not like we're constantly dealing with rubble and falling over. Most quakes are small and even major quakes don't devastate the entire population. We don't live in a 3rd world country where buildings crumble instantly. Most of our newer buildings are designed for seismic activity (Regulations!). Statistically speaking we have yet to lose a lot of executives to an earthquake and as you say, plenty of people to take their place.

Not saying it wouldn't be terrible, but it's still way better than places where you have constant extreme weather (hurricanes, tornadoes, snow) yearly or employing people who are not Bay Area people (i.e. really smart, creative, quirky, ambitious, generally kind and awesome).

Reactions: redmac

dklcheng

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Santa Clara

Parking. I know it sounds weird but a high density building would require just as much parking as sadly, much of our South Bay Area still drives to and fro from the burbs. It was the "grand design" of some stupid mayor long ago who thought San Jose should be the northern version of Los Angeles. Also, it's right next to the airport and pilots get wiggy.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Great. Just what we need. More high paid tech workers in this area. No one can afford to live here anymore unless you work for Apple, Google, or Facebook.

Would you rather have been living in central Detroit? Not so many employed tech workers to annoy you. Houses available for $1.

Don't believe every movie you see. 99% of Bay Area office buildings will survive a major earthquake. Even the century old downtown San Francisco apartment buildings were reinforced after the last big one. As a SF resident, I feel like this is the safest place on earth after Japan to be in a major earthquake.

Ask the people who (barely) escaped Sendai how well that went. A good portion of SF and Silicon Valley is below the Japan tsunami's peak height. I was also in Christchurch a couple years ago to see how well those modern reinforced hotels faired (they didn't).

And I don't need a movie to believe anything: Just a week before, I actually drove over that portion of the 880 freeway that collapsed. A coworker was on the Bay Bridge when a portion of that span collapsed nearby. I was in a Silicon Valley office building where light fixtures were falling from the ceiling. I had to dive under a desk. Those were no movie special effects. People in the Bay Area died. 1% of millions of people and tens of thousands of buildings is a lot.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
A good portion of SF and Silicon Valley is below the Japan tsunami's peak height.
I am not saying there will not be an earthquake, but I am saying based on our coastal shape we will not have a tsunami over about 50 feet and not near the populated areas for the very reasons they have nice shape beaches and the related underwater shorelines.

My mom visited Christchurch a week before the quake and got "last known photos". I experienced the 1972 CA quake which wrecked a hospital and a freeway interchange and plenty more. The Northridge quake crushed apartments and freeways which took months with extreme measures to replace.

Earthquakes can be bad. But modern buildings survive them well enough to not kill their occupants. The building may need to be replaced.

Rocketman

Reactions: redmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.