Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I just hope that whatever's implemented is relevant, a lot of content I see from Yelp in Maps is outdated, a review from a year ago isn't very helpful when the business may have totally changed from pandemic or everyone quitting.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Won’t exactly be useful until we can leave written reviews and they can influence search results. Apple is already struggling with moderating fake ratings on the App Store. Don’t expect to trust the scores you see on Maps.
I think they are trying not to incorporate written reviews which are more subjective and less systematic for rating.

I am a google map guide for my community. They would prompt me for reviewing the place or restaurant where I probably visited. There are a no of questions but only yes, no, dunno, three possible response are allowed.

the thumb up down reviewing had been enabled in hk more than half year. I think the questions raised by google map guide are more sensible than those basic question asked by Apple Map.

Reactions: macrumors3131

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Yelp reviews aren’t entirely reliable because people go to review sites/apps for two primary reasons:

A. They’re looking for reviews
B. They had a bad experience and want to complain

The third and just as important reason isn’t compelling enough to visit a site/app and spend time reviewing: they liked the place.

Ditching the star system is the first good move. A simple thumbs up or down, is going to yield a more universal standard. Written reviews almost always skew negative. People generally write good reviews if the place was off the charts amazing or if they were given an incentive (monetary, promotional, discounts).

Finally, reviews are only as reliable as the most recent ones. Good reviews from years ago may not mean much if the place hasn’t renovated in a long while, the rotating staff of waiters are currently lazy/rude and the star chef hasn’t worked there in a while. Similarly, bad reviews might’ve compelled a business to improve or the place was so bad that it has shut down. So a back catalogue of reviews isn’t all that valuable. Yelp doesn’t have much of an edge due to its ”head start”.

All of this comes together as poor data quality and so Apple doesn’t need Yelp to gradually assemble a more accurate sense of reviews. With its established user base of hundreds of millions, and with the ratings built in natively, Apple can get recent reviews rather quickly. Ultimately, being natively integrated, that picture you took of a steak dinner can be recognized as food by Photos’ machine learning and correlated to the GPS coordinates of a restaurant you went to. A simple prompt by Siri “Did you like it?” with a thumbs up/down, can help Apple fill in those reviews over a short period of time.
Totally agreed.

simple thumb up down rating is better than written reviews.

google map did a good job on that. The questions raised by google are more sensible too.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
The worst is when you want to look at more than 3 pictures from the restaurant and it takes you to the App Store to redownload Yelp. This will be a welcome addition, I just wish they allowed text to be inputted so we can fully replace Yelp!
This stands as one of my most annoying moments with Maps! Always takes me to App Store like I HAVE to have Yelp on my phone. I can’t wait until they replace it with their own system.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Fair point, but Maps has come a long way since then. For wayfinding it's absolutely competitive now with Google Maps. It still (in my experience) lags far behind Google in finding POIs, but this looks like they're starting to finally address that.
That s why I seldom use Apple Map, though I tried hard to like it.

Apple Map s ability to search POI is far lacking behind Google, in particular the Map integration with Contact App and Calendar App.

when clicking the addr filled in Contact App or Calendar App, only street addr would work for pop up the location correctly in Map App. clicking POI in Contact App and Calendar App NEVER works!!!

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
How long before they have proper street view outside of major cities? With their money and resources, I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet. Without this, Google maps will always be superior.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
How long before they have proper street view outside of major cities? With their money and resources, I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet. Without this, Google maps will always be superior.

A guess…they say that the detailed road view (not elevation, trees and select POI’s) is coming to Maps, AND considering they have already done basically full country releases for the past couple of updates (Canada and Spain/Portugal) that it will come with the release of ios15 for not only the USA but all new Map areas. If not at public release of ios15, at least by the end of the year.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Weird, I’ve read that you can only rate places where you have been before (based on location tracking) but I can also rate all kinds of other locations.

It’s also enabled in Belgium btw but it only asks for a general rating, there’s no subdivisions for products, services, …

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Weird, I’ve read that you can only rate places where you have been before (based on location tracking) but I can also rate all kinds of other locations.

It’s also enabled in Belgium btw but it only asks for a general rating, there’s no subdivisions for products, services, …

They backed off on that when the first areas were released. I’m sure it was fear based on not getting the database they needed soon enough or simply the amount of work needed to “track” that kind of rule.

Different types of POI’s have different rating options based on how they are categorized in Maps. I’m sure this will be tweaked over time to provide more detail based on user feedback.

Reactions: hagar

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
What does that even mean? Or are you not aware that Apple has not even turned on views for that feature yet? You can submit, but they are not letting you see anything other than sourced info like accidents, construction, etc. User info has been collected since a February iOS14 beta and will most likely be turned on for user input to be shared when iOS 15 is publically launched (I hope).
Huh? I'm not completely following what you are trying to say. I am reporting all the time in Maps, but have yet to see a report displayed from other users. That was my point, that people don't seem to be using it because they probably don't even know the feature exists. I can only hope what you say is accurate (that they haven't turned on these views yet), but I can find no information to back that up. In fact, from Apple:
1629810772320.png

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Huh? I'm not completely following what you are trying to say. I am reporting all the time in Maps, but have yet to see a report displayed from other users. That was my point, that people don't seem to be using it because they probably don't even know the feature exists. I can only hope what you say is accurate (that they haven't turned on these views yet), but I can find no information to back that up. In fact, from Apple:
View attachment 1822671

It is not turned on…there has not been a single real picture of a user submitted post since it was activated back in February.

Have done many tests locally with other users.

It shows up for a second for the poster and may even still be there when they drive back past the report, but no one else can see for now.

Think about it this way, Apple Maps is the second most used mapping system out there. All it would take is one user (me for example) to mark incidents on a route…and then, a Maps user, even unaware that this is a thing, would see the report and then be aware that it is in fact a thing.

The growth rate for usage would be exponential. The only reason you are not seeing them reported is because it is not turned on.

Last edited:

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
It is not turned on…there has not been a single real picture of a user submitted post since it was activated back in September.

Have done many tests locally with other users.

It shows up for a second for the poster and may even still be there when they drive back past the report, but no one else can see for now.

Think about it this way, Apple Maps is the second most used mapping system out there. All it would take is one user (me for example) to mark incidents on a route…and then, a Maps user, even unaware that this is a thing, would see the report and then be aware that it is in fact a thing.

The growth rate for usage would be exponential. The only reason you are not seeing them reported is because it is not turned on.
That's exactly how I figured it would play out - that people would suddenly see the reports and explore how to submit them themselves. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the views really are not turned on yet. Do you have any specific information that states they haven't enabled it, other than anecdotal or tests? It just seems counterintuitive for me that they would release this as a feature, have some people try to use it, but then get frustrated that it is seemingly of no value. If I understood that this would be "fully" released at a later date, I wouldn't be badmouthing it.

BTW, thanks for your response. I've tried to discuss this on other threads, but you are the first to indicate that it is not fully released.

Last edited:
Reactions: MozMan68

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
That's exactly how I figured it would play out - that people would suddenly see the reports and explore how to submit them themselves. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the views really are not turned on yet. Do you have any specific information that states they haven't enabled it, other than anecdotal or tests? It just seems counterintuitive for me that they would release this as a feature, have some people try to use it, but then get frustrated that it is seemingly of no value. If I understood that this would be "fully" released at a later date, I wouldn't be badmouthing it.

BTW, thanks for your response. I've tried to discuss this on other threads, but you are the first to indicate that it is not fully released.
So weird they dont just release and announce it. These half baked releases only cause people to further loose interest as they think it‘s not relevant or not working.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

You're welcome...and yeah, I'm kind of upset too as I have been submitting like crazy. An then people traveling behind me saying they are not seeing anything.

The only examples of "speed trap" for example that have come up seem to be either the own user seeing their report shortly after they submitted it, or a glitch.

Really surprised Apple hasn't said anything officially about it since they have been actively promoting it since March when 14.6(?) came out.

Vasilioskn

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
New York
But Apple Maps is still nowhere near is good as Google Maps. Also , I’ve been trying to submit a map error (my house is in a totally wrong location) for months. Google fixed their in 2 days for me.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
But Apple Maps is still nowhere near is good as Google Maps. Also , I’ve been trying to submit a map error (my house is in a totally wrong location) for months. Google fixed their in 2 days for me.

It's hit or miss. I've reported errors and gotten notified of fixes anywhere from hours to a few days. But these were errors related to businesses (a petro company office labeled as a gas station, closed restaurants, moved gym). Your house is probably on the low end of a priority list.

Overall, I prefer Apple Maps to Google. Apple's UI is far superior, notably Look Around's smooth navigation versus Street View's "taped together" look with jittery movement. Data has been Apple Maps' outstanding shortfall but it's clear that they've been working on that by acquiring their own data in-house and now getting native reviews.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
View attachment 1822671
I've seen a couple reports here and there, and submitted a few myself when it's safe to do so.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
This is stupid, why build what they can just buy? They should just have bought Yelp. With all the weird and confusing acquisitions all these companies do throughout the years, seems the more obvious ones escape them.
There are so many problems with Yelp as a company and their practices that I have to believe you are incredibly naive to even suggest that. Apple is definitely better off without Yelp of all people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.