Apple Expected to Adopt Keyboard With Scissor Mechanism for Upcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is planning to use a scissor mechanism rather than a butterfly mechanism for its upcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in a note to investors that was obtained by MacRumors.

Kuo continues to believe the 16-inch MacBook Pro will come in the fourth quarter of 2019, and now, he says Apple will use the more durable scissor mechanism that he previously said would not be used in the MacBook Pro lineup until 2020.

[​IMG]
    Kuo believes that after the 16-inch MacBook Pro launches, future Macs coming in 2020 will also swap over to a scissor mechanism rather than a butterfly mechanism, resulting in more durable keyboards that are not as prone to failure from heat, dust and other small particulates.

[​IMG]
    A chart from Kuo listing a launch timeline for new Macs with the scissor keyboard. Click to enlarge.​

In a previous note, Kuo said that the scissor mechanism that Apple will use will improve the typing experience by offering longer key travel and better durability by adopting a glass fiber for a reinforced structure. A keyboard with a scissor mechanism will be thicker than the butterfly keyboard, but Kuo believes that most users won't be able to tell the difference.

Kuo says that Apple's higher requirements for the scissor keyboard will result in an average selling price of $25 to $30 for the keyboard component, higher than the general ASP of $8 to $12 for this kind of keyboard. Apple supplier Sunrex is expected to provide scissor-based keyboards for the company.

Apple switched over to a thinner keyboard with a butterfly mechanism in the 2015 MacBook, and has since used the same butterfly keyboard in all of its notebook refreshes.

The butterfly keyboard has been prone to failure, despite several design revisions. Apple's newest Mac notebooks use an updated third-generation butterfly keyboard that is supposed to cut down on failure rates with a membrane and new build materials, but Apple has not been able to solve the butterfly keyboard problem entirely.

Negative public opinion, multiple lawsuits, and ongoing issues with all keyboards in Mac notebooks released since 2015 have led Apple to launch a keyboard repair program that applies to all Macs with a butterfly keyboard, including 2019 models.

Apple will repair all butterfly keyboards that experience issues at no cost for four years from the Mac's original date of purchase, but the problem won't be fixed until Apple swaps over to a new keyboard design that's more durable.

Though Apple already refreshed the MacBook Pro in May and July with updated processors, a Touch Bar for the entry-level machines, and other improvements, rumors about a second refresh in 2019 continue to persist. Apple is said to be working on the aforementioned 16-inch MacBook Pro, which could perhaps launch as soon as September or October.

Along with a scissor keyboard mechanism, rumors have suggested the new 16-inch MacBook Pro will have a 3072 x 1920 display with slimmer bezels than the current MacBook Pro models. Kuo's note suggests that the new machine will perhaps be sold alongside existing 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models going forward.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Adopt Keyboard With Scissor Mechanism for Upcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro

2. Freida macrumors 68000

3. trusso macrumors 6502

And yet the mock-up shows a butterfly keyboard.

That's not confusing at all. :rolleyes:

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

As a groundbreaking revolutionary feature apparently

5. dynamojoe macrumors member

dynamojoe

6. Darth Tulhu, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

Darth Tulhu macrumors 6502

Darth Tulhu

I hope to God this is true, and that the Macs look like the render. :)

EDIT:
    My 2011 17" now necessitates a shell script I wrote to start up while avoiding the discrete graphics card because of the graphics issues those models were prone to.

Hopefully I can keep it going long enough to redo my entire Apple infrastructure in 2020 (2011/12 iMacs and MBPs) and move to just one of these and an iPhone.

I'm too lazy to learn iPadOS "workarounds" required for someone with "PC" muscle-memory.

7. eatrains macrumors 6502

The butterfly isn't inherently bad. The precision and stability of the 2016-era keyboard are great. They just need to be more reliable and have more travel. I hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...

8. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

Intel or Apple silicon tho? that's all I care about.

9. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

10. fokmik macrumors 68040

Again with this rumour ??
    Also water is wet

11. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Haha. Got to get rid of that butterfly keyboard stock before the next iteration.

12. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

And leaving the butterfly keyboards on all the others, thereby forcing everyone to buy the $3k Mac! Good thinking Tim.

13. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

14. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Bring back all the useful ports, while you're at it.

D-ZmdHTVAAEL8mn.jpg

15. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

16. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

Intel for 2019 model, apple for late 2020 model

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

18. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

The scissors are used by Apple to cut your hand off after you have removed your wallet.

19. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

I want to buy my first MBP, but I want the 13-inch entry model with a keyboard that will last.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The magic keyboard 2 is the best blend of old and new. Hopefully it’s exactly like that. Lower travel than the chiclet keys.

21. ibamf macrumors newbie

22. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

Useful ports: USB-C, USB-C, USB-C, ...

23. Nimoy macrumors regular

Nimoy

I love the rounded edge-to-edge display in the mockup there...is there any evidence that's actually coming?

24. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Bout ****ing time Timmy & the Boys wake up and realize that keyboard design was ****.

25. MengkeMary macrumors member

MengkeMary

The 16-inch model couldn't care less about the saving of a few mm by adopting the butterfly keyboard, given the already huge size. Therefore, going back to some "proven tech" that is reliable but slight thicker is not that surprising.