Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
These renderings are based on speculation that the metallic upper and lower parts in the back would be replaced with glass pieces. It wouldn't make the picture you posted a fake, just an unfinished shell.

Wether there will be glass in the back of the phone or not, these renderings are pretty well done.

But the design for the shell in the picture and corresponding CAD renderings show that the back of the shell is a single piece of metal and is designed around that. It doesn't look like you can simply replace these parts with glass inserts as it would weaken the structure and necessitate a major redesign of the top and bottom.

The picture also show the thick antenna bands on the sides, with a complex plastic molded structure that show the plastic part getting even larger inside the shell, embeded in black insulation material. To me there's something more to this antenna system than just plastic separators and the thickness seems to be an integral part of it.

The recent "improved" renders seem to dismiss the whole antenna concept, just because it looks better and generates page-views from those who hope that the leaks were not the final design.

I don't think there was ever a leak of iPhone parts that differed much from the final product. Those leaks seem to happen at a stage beyond prototyping. The only thing we've heard about the glass inserts come from hearsay in a single report, all the rest of the evidence (like this picture) show otherwise.

Here's another high-resolution picture that hasn't been published by the usual American blogs as it leaked during WWDC (9to5mac did publish a smaller version but mixed up with blurry pictures of mock-ups from a known faker.)

I doubt at this point that there will be any major changes from this so I wouldn't get my expectation too high that the antenna lines will be thinner :

iPhone-6-Boitier-04.jpg

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
But the design for the shell in the picture and corresponding CAD renderings show that the back of the shell is a single piece of metal and is designed around that. It doesn't look like you can simply replace these parts with glass inserts as it would weaken the structure and necessitate a major redesign of the top and bottom.

The picture also show the thick antenna bands on the sides, with a complex plastic molded structure that show the plastic part getting even larger inside the shell, embeded in black insulation material. To me there's something more to this antenna system than just plastic separators and the thickness seems to be an integral part of it.

The recent "improved" renders seem to dismiss the whole antenna concept, just because it looks better and generates page-views from those who hope that the leaks were not the final design.

I don't think there was ever a leak of iPhone parts that differed much from the final product. Those leaks seem to happen at a stage beyond prototyping. The only thing we've heard about the glass inserts come from hearsay in a single report, all the rest of the evidence (like this picture) show otherwise.

Here's another high-resolution picture that hasn't been published by the usual American blogs as it leaked during WWDC (9to5mac did publish a smaller version but mixed up with blurry pictures of mock-ups from a known faker.)

I doubt at this point that there will be any major changes from this so I wouldn't get my expectation too high that the antenna lines will be thinner :

I was also thinking that glass pieces on the back would be unneccessary this time (except maybe for aesthetics). I must agree with your reasoning. The real evidence seems to point towards thick bands of plastic/silicone/some_other _suitable_material and no glass on the back side.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I was also thinking that glass pieces on the back would be unnecessary this time (except maybe for aesthetics). I must agree with your reasoning. The real evidence seems to point towards thick bands of plastic/silicone/some_other _suitable_material and no glass on the back side.

Same here. As much as I think the bands look terrible, they are not going away. Aesthetics aside, I think there must be a purpose for them beyond just antenna bands and have additional functionality. It has been mentioned that this iteration of iPhone will be the most sensor laden iPhone yet, so the bands and the apple logo cutout seem to be a part of that sensor driven move.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
September announcement And September launch. Is Old news
Hopefully IPhone 6 will be different than the leaks were seeing.....Like no bezels!

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
If you look at the schematics there will be no glass/ceramic inserts

iphone-6-rendering-640x397.jpg

This could be a/ the solution, it matches the schematics,
Can' t get an url of a picture of the back , but check out www turbosquid.com. Forget the ugly bicolor solution, but these are good examples of how apple could handle the backside of the iphone 6.

Iphone6.jpg5797904c-2ba4-45ca-8650-40febb8d0679Large.jpg

Last edited:

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I can't wait to see how Apple explains their way out of the experience driven ads that ran with the 5 and 5S where they defended the decision to not make the phone itself bigger, but rather make the screen a little taller. They made an ad specifically that showed the range a thumb could move across a screen and said they make the decision specifically so as not to have made things difficult for people.
Nobody cares. It's 2014 and people want larger phones.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Has Macrumors ever posted their own rumors before now? Rather than reporting on what other sites have said. I feel I remember them doing this before but I can't remember for sure. Can someone share a link to another time when Macrumors have posted their own rumor with themselves as the source

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
These renders are much better than anything else we've seen so far. I'm still convinced the new iPhone will NOT have those ugly thick antenna bands. And seeing this render, it seems very plausible that those bands are marking off where the glass or sapphire or whatever inlay would go.

Not sold on the gold colour scheme, that white looks rough against the gold. I really doubt they'd have 2 out of 3 phones with the same strip colour as well, seems odd.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Apple Expected to Announce iPhone 6 in Early September, With Launch Later in ...

Not sold on the gold colour scheme, that white looks rough against the gold. I really doubt they'd have 2 out of 3 phones with the same strip colour as well, seems odd.

Not odd at all. That's how it is with the gold and silver 5S's.

Last edited:

straighttech

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2014
The smartphone market is heating up as it matures

It’s amazing how the iPhone can capture such a large portion of a global market competing against entire platform(s) of devices. I just wrote about this in my latest blog post: http://halifaxbloggers.ca/straighttech/2014/07/smartphone-market-matures-heats-up/

What's happening in the US is a harbinger of what's to come when young people grow up with modern mobile tech. The market for mobile devices has become commoditized, but there's more and more people willing and able to fork over the cash for luxury goods. A smartphone has become a need for zillions of people, but within that massive market, there's an ever growing percentage of people who will pay for higher quality, better functionality, and better design.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
In other news, water is still wet...

I like the way that MacRumors is pushing the envelope here with such a bold prediction...

I guess MacRumors is just consolidating rumors for those non-technogeeks who having been living under a rock for the last 6 months and don't know what the normal trend is.

Of course, such dullards don't read MacRumors....

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Iphone6.jpg5797904c-2ba4-45ca-8650-40febb8d0679Large.jpg

This is my iPhone 6! I like all the colors together, so this is my iPhone 6! Nice huh?

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
GUI - Xerox
Tablets - Microsoft
MP3 players - Sony
Smartphones - Blackberry / Palm
Online music stiore - Ritmoteca.com (1998)
Watches - Pebble / Google

Apple hasn't innovated a single thing since 1986.

Seriously, Apple makes things work better for everyone, and that by definition is innovation. What you're talking about is ideas with no execution.

I'm just downplaying his post because he's sarcastically saying that those "innovation" he mention like bigger screen, etc.. are from android.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
No new news here. Most likely launch date is Sept 19 or 25 as Apple has to make their numbers for the quarter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.