Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aapl-logo-2018-250x276.jpg
Apple is set to report its earnings results for the third quarter of its 2018 fiscal year at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time today.

The quarter began April 1, 2018 and ran through June 30, 2018, according to Apple's fiscal year accounting calendar.

Apple provided the following guidance for the quarter back on May 1:revenue of $51.5 billion to $53.5 billion
gross margin between 38 and 38.5 percent
op. ex. of $7.7 billion to $7.8 billion
other income/expense of $400 million
tax rate of approximately 14.5 percentApple's guidance suggests it will report its best third quarter results ever, by revenue, comfortably topping its 2015 record of $49.6 billion:
2014: $37.4 billion
2015: $49.6 billion
2016: $42.4 billion
2017: $45.4 billion
2018: $51.5+ billion
Wall Street analysts forecast that Apple will report $52.3 billion revenue, meeting roughly the midpoint of its guidance, and earnings per share of $2.18, according to 29 estimates averaged by Yahoo Finance.

Key Takeaways and What to Look For
iPhone unit sales of around 41.7 million, according to a FactSet estimate.
Apple doesn't break out iPhone sales on a model-by-model basis, but the iPhone's average selling price should reveal whether the iPhone X remains Apple's best selling iPhone model since it launched, or if sales have slowed. iPhone ASP was $728 last quarter. $606 in year-ago quarter.
iPad unit sales should be boosted by the new sixth-generation 9.7-inch iPad, released March 27, just four days before the third quarter.
Apple's guidance for its fourth quarter, which runs from July 1 through September 29, as new iPhones will likely be available to order during the final two weeks of the quarter. Analysts expect revenue of $59.5 billion, based on 29 estimates averaged by Yahoo Finance.
Apple's comments on the trade war between the United States and China, and what impact it could have on Apple products, if any.
Continued growth of Apple's Services category, including the App Store, Apple Music, iCloud, iTunes, Apple Pay, and AppleCare. Loup Ventures expects Services growth of 19 percent on a year-over-year basis.
Continued growth of Apple's Other Products category, including the Apple Watch, Apple TV, HomePod, AirPods, Beats, iPod touch, and accessories, as Apple diversifies revenue beyond the iPhone.

Apple's CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri will discuss the company's earnings results on a conference call at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. MacRumors will loosely transcribe the one-hour call as it occurs live.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Report Its Best Third Quarter Ever Today

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I find it interesting that this quarter has been relatively quiet. Usually we get story after story about supply chain rumors predicting weak iPhone sales. This quarter we got nothing.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Booya Apple! Guidance has always been right. That's all we need to know really!
[doublepost=1533066771][/doublepost]
I find it interesting that this quarter has been relatively quiet. Usually we get story after story about supply chain rumors predicting weak iPhone sales. This quarter we got nothing.

Yes, it's because they know we will call them out as liars if they try to pull those lying shenanigans maybe :)

Last edited:

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
After the Facebook shock, what's the chance Apple comes up with a surprise?
And Twitter too. Thing is those are both social networks, which I've felt have been quickly losing interest within the past 4 years. It starts with the people my age (at the time 18) and in this part of the US, and the investors don't know until it's too late.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
And Twitter too. Thing is those are both social networks, which I've felt have been quickly losing interest within the past 4 years. It starts with the people my age (at the time), and the investors don't know until it's too late.

I am with you. I deleted all social medias from my phone except for Instagram (reason? It’s easy to share pics on Facebook, Twitter etc.). I still have the accounts, I might check FB once a day at most for a couple of minutes, and that’s it.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
I guess those manipulating scums are giving it a break after their last f-up..To let the memory fade...
But they’ll be back soon for sure. .... To prey upon the loose hands...

Reactions: BuddyTronic

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
HOW? I just dont understand.

Apple missed OUT on the smart home market completly.. half of the computer line up has not been touched and the current ones are as much as a down payment on a car, the watch finally seems to be gaining ground and I feel as if the iPad market just keeps shrinking.

I guess I am just wrong.

Reactions: d0nK

FrancisBryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
UK
With all of these profits, surely Apple could afford to make it so that AppleCare starts from the date of delivery of a new MBP to a purchaser, rather than the date of order of a (build to order) new machine? That extra week could be important, and I think that it borders on unethical practice to short-change customers in this way!

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Here come the stockholders with their doomed sarcasm rubbish.

Great for you and the execs who already don’t need more millions, but at best, utterly meaningless to consumers. At worst, it emboldens Apple to keep up with the gouging, which is clearly detrimental to the consumer.

Reactions: AleRod and arkitect

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
After the Facebook shock, what's the chance Apple comes up with a surprise?

Facebook was due to their HUGE scandal. Most saw it coming and they failed to adjust estimates.

Apple has nothing of the same thing going on. There won't be a surprise here.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Great for you and the execs who already don’t need more millions, but at best, utterly meaningless to consumers. At worst, it emboldens Apple to keep up with the gouging, which is clearly detrimental to the consumer.
I didn’t think Apple was forcing you to buy their products. There are “great” android phones available for half the price.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
If that’s the case, and with the release on the new iPhone lineup, it could entice investors to buy up more stocks. Apple might become the first 1 trillion dollars company by the end of the year.

Edit: Someone should photoshop Tim Cook’s face on Dr. Evil. ;)

Reactions: Abazigal

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

You boast such an objective and balanced username. I’m surprised to see you taking an opinion one way or the other. :O

Reactions: AngerDanger

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
With all of these profits, surely Apple could afford to make it so that AppleCare starts from the date of delivery of a new MBP to a purchaser, rather than the date of order of a (build to order) new machine? That extra week could be important, and I think that it borders on unethical practice to short-change customers in this way!
If it's that much of an issue, couldn't you purchase the applecare when you receive the machine?

Reactions: CB1234

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

They aren't meaningless to customers that enjoy the products Apple makes. If they weren't doing well they would change things up. I am happy with all of my Apple products and how they fit into my life. Could they be cheaper? Sure. But, no one has a gun to mine or your head forcing you to purchase. My parents are perfectly content with their 6s devices and have no intentions of upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.