Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Isn't Apple doomed already?? Geez they let us down time after time.

They are dooming it wrong!

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
This doesn't stop their mbp's getting consistently worse every year. Profits don't help an unbelievably bad keyboard design, terrible dongle-tastic port choice, pathetically small SSD sizes as standard and ridiculous UK prices.

Reactions: Zoddino

Greymacuser

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
You mean, like a struggling company, they cut their prices to the bone in order to buy market share? No, I don't think they do that.
More like a struggling company that overcharges for their merchandise to make ends meet. They haven't stopped that pricing mentality ever since. Well, except for them tacking on the 'pay extra for our brand name' type of thing. Otherwise known as Apple Tax.

FrancisBryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
UK
If it's that much of an issue, couldn't you purchase the applecare when you receive the machine?
I thought of this and then discovered that AppleCare, whenever purchased, would be backdated to start from the date of order of a new MBP. It used to be the case that if problems were going to arise, this would be more likely to occur soon after the purchase of a new product. Recently this observation seems to have changed, and more problems tend to occur towards the end of the three year AppleCare coverage, so the last ten days or so could be important. Also, if it is around 10 days - not uncommon in the UK, that is approximately one percent of the coverage paid for. Could do better, Apple!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
They grew $14B in revenue in 4 years?
Where did that "extra" market come from. $14B is no joke, and in 2014 iphones were pretty much established market,

Apple is doomed. Fire Tim Cook. /s

You are only measuring Apple on the money scale. No one is worried about Apple stock losing value (at least not currently).

Apple can quit the Mac market, turn into a media and subscription service, and rake in a lot more money. When people say Apple is doomed, they mean as they know it. As the personal creative computer maker that makes hardware and software that just works.

Just to demonstrate this, a lot of Pro's are opting for the PC hardware and Apple alternative software. iMovie no longer best in class, I hear many people quit on Final Cut, many complain about iTunes, people unhappy with Mac Mini, Mac Pros, and arguably the MacBook Pros. This is just to demonstrate some of what people mean when they say Apple is doomed. Its not about money and profit.

I didn’t think Apple was forcing you to buy their products. There are “great” android phones available for half the price.

Not necessarily, Its like saying if you don't like Verizon you can go to AT&T. If you only have 2 options... do you really have options?
You can only have soft drink or water, Honda or Toyota, CNN or Fox... I hope you get the idea.

FrancisBryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
UK
You know that you can buy AppleCare any time within the first year of ownership while it's still under the factory warranty and it will go into effect at the time of purchase/after the 1 year factory warranty ends?

If it's really as huge of a deal as you're making this out to be, why not wait and buy it when the machine is delivered.

I can also nearly guarantee you that Apple will still honor the AppleCare coverage a couple days after expiration. I've seen them do it countless times.

Good to read that Apple might still honour AppleCare coverage a couple of days after its expiry, but please do see my reply to 69Mustang (post 55) below.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They grew $14B in revenue in 4 years?
Where did that "extra" market come from. $14B is no joke, and in 2014 iphones were pretty much established market,

You are only measuring Apple on the money scale. No one is worried about Apple stock losing value (at least not currently).

Apple can quit the Mac market, turn into a media and subscription service, and rake in a lot more money. When people say Apple is doomed, they mean as they know it. As the personal creative computer maker that makes hardware and software that just works.

Just to demonstrate this, a lot of Pro's are opting for the PC hardware and Apple alternative software. iMovie no longer best in class, I hear many people quit on Final Cut, many complain about iTunes, people unhappy with Mac Mini, Mac Pros, and arguably the MacBook Pros. This is just to demonstrate some of what people mean when they say Apple is doomed. Its not about money and profit.

Not necessarily, Its like saying if you don't like Verizon you can go to AT&T. If you only have 2 options... do you really have options?
You can only have soft drink or water, Honda or Toyota, CNN or Fox... I hope you get the idea.
If I don’t like Verizon I would go to AT&T. If I hated coke, I’d order Pepsi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.