Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 16, users may see a "Cannot Verify AirPods" alert on their iPhone if they try to connect fake AirPods to the device. Apple shared more information about this alert today in a new support document spotted by developer Steve Moser.

iOS-16-iPhone-Unverified-AirPods-Alert.jpeg

The support document indicates that unverified AirPods can still be connected to an iPhone, but may not perform as expected.

Apple's alert features a prominent "Don't Connect" button, but users can tap on the smaller "Connect in Bluetooth Settings" link to proceed with connecting the unverified AirPods if they choose to. Twitter user "Tommy Boi" shared a video of the alert in action a few days ago after connecting fake AirPods to their iPhone (NSFW warning: the video's background music contains profanity and viewer discretion is advised).

The alert was first discovered in code for the iOS 16 Release Candidate last week.

Article Link: Apple Explains iPhone's New Alert Shown When Fake AirPods Are Connected

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
A person would have to be really desperate to use fake AirPods
I've had a few pairs of fake air pods

they aren't much worse sounding than real ones. if you like the form factor but don't care about owning apple everything they can be a decent buy

only issue I've had with some pairs is that the batteries sometimes crap out pretty quickly

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
I've had a few pairs of fake air pods

they aren't much worse sounding than real ones. if you like the form factor but don't care about owning apple everything they can be a decent buy

only issue I've had with some pairs is that the batteries sometimes crap out pretty quickly

But this isn’t about just liking the form factor. This is about devices that falsely report that they are legitimate apple products instead of scammy trash.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
A lot of people think they are buying real AirPods at a good but still reasonable price. Since real AirPods are often being sold at steep discounts, it's hard to even warn people about deals that seem to good to be true.
Exactly. Came here to say this. Although there are some bad actors in the US (i.e. shady sellers on Amazon or eBay), it's relatively reliable. In Asia, there are online marketplaces filled with listings, many of which are counterfeit.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Well some people want to show off AirPods but can’t pay the price. Bingo u have fake AirPods which are literally indistinguishable at least from exterior, but much much cheaper. They don’t sound that bad though but sometimes use micro usb or usbc for charging. Price is a major factor so some vendors in Asia have both original and fake airpods, fakes are much cheaper and u can specify which ones u want, original or copy. Same thing as fake designer goods

tony1984

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2014
My AirPods the Apple Store replaced 2 months ago are flagged as fake lol. Seems like the feature works super well
Yeah same thing happened to me, I bought a pair from Best Buy months ago and today out of the blue I’m being they are fake 🤣

Reactions: Anton721

deathcab

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
My AirPods the Apple Store replaced 2 months ago are flagged as fake lol. Seems like the feature works super well
Yeah same thing happened to me, I bought a pair from Best Buy months ago and today out of the blue I’m being they are fake 🤣
I had the same issue. Unpair them and re-pair them and the error should go away (and they’ll show up as genuine with the full graphics / data displayed on the BT menu).

Reactions: G5isAlive

stannc

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
There’s actually a market for them. Some people just don’t want to pay full price
But then those people bring them to the Genius Bar for replacement when they don’t work. I watched it unfold last year when the Genius found that the AirPods had a cloned serial number and someone was turned away a number of times already. The person went through “I bought them here”, “I bought them at Best Buy”, and “My friend gave them to me” after he was told that his only option was to buy a new pair.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
But this isn’t about just liking the form factor. This is about devices that falsely report that they are legitimate apple products instead of scammy trash.

I suppose I assume most people are intelligent enough to know when they are buying knock off of anything

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Both my AirPods Pro and AirPods Max confirmed as real. AirPods Pro bought at Argos (UK third party retailer) and AirPods Max from Amazon uk.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
(NSFW warning: the video's background music contains profanity and viewer discretion is advised).
Is this a joke? I've now listened 5 times to the video and have yet to hear any profanity.

Reactions: iModFrenzy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.