Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Would the voltage really matter? I would think we'd just need a charger capable of delivering more current for speedier charging. Granted that higher current would require beefier wiring

The dock connector can only handle 2A. After that, it starts to get way too hot. As it is, they are pushing it hard. Remember, it was originally designed for the iPod 3rd generation with Firewire, a hard drive, and a tiny little screen.

It would be un-apple-like to have another connector for faster charging. Especially when the "problem" isn't a problem at all. They will still charge overnight.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The dock connector can only handle 2A. After that, it starts to get way too hot. As it is, they are pushing it hard. Remember, it was originally designed for the iPod 3rd generation with Firewire, a hard drive, and a tiny little screen.

It would be un-apple-like to have another connector for faster charging. Especially when the "problem" isn't a problem at all. They will still charge overnight.

I'd like to see them go back to FireWire. It's more sustainable with its higher power output, faster data transfer (and we WILL need faster), and less CPU usage (CPUs are developing slowly, and putting new chips in newer devices is tough).

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I heard that keeping the iPhone running till it dies out frequently is bad for the battery and the phone, but does the same apply to 5% or 4%? I seem to get almost 30 minutes of additional use on that. Heck, even at 1% my music key playing for 15 minutes.
Like the 100% number, the 5% number is arbitrarily chosen by Apple, so I'm not sure how deeply they allow the battery to be drained before they cut out.

In general, I doubt you need to worry about it much at either end. I'd minimize the number of times it runs to zero, and I wouldn't be concerned about topping it off regularly.

One thing that is universally bad though is heat. The constant current phase of the charge (the first 90% or so) will generate the most heat. Always let it charge in the open air.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
They would have to bump up to 10+ volts on the low voltage side in the next iPad to "fix" this "problem", but really folks, just let it charge overnight.

Changing the voltage from 5 to 10 volts would destroy the battery, not to mention the controlling circuitry.

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
It would be pretty great if someone clarified this on MacBooks.

So many people keep telling me that I can't leave my Mac connected all the time. Because the battery would start losing it's health. I've always said that is BS. But it wouldn't hurt to be sure of it.

As for what you said, it has to be with keeping the health of the battery, supposedly.

This may answer part of your question. The rest already seems answered by others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6lLdFxiZPc

No, one of the great things about Macs is that you can leave them plugged in all the time. But the battery will eventually give you less life per charge. My MacBook Pro 15" battery, which originally gave about four hours of life, dropped to about two hours after three years. The battery also swelled up at that point and I had to replace it because it began to affect the touch pad.

Mine lasted for 1212 cycles and kept 5 hours out of the initial 5.5 hours of life. After 3 years and 1212 cycles it suddenly died on me. I was very pleased with my battery. :)

So wait, does this mean that the battery will continue to shrink indefinitely as long as its plugged in?

I was told long ago with these type of nickel or whatever batteries, every time you plug in the battery gets a bit smaller, and eventually can't hold a charge... And this, "discharge a little, then charge again" thing means its CONSTANTLY shrinking my battery, rather than just drawing from the outlets current?!?

Explains why my last iPad last a few hours now, when it has barely been unplugged since I got it....

Is this right, and is it as stupid a move as I am making it out to be? Or is this the way all these batteries work and there's no way around it?

Your iPad uses Lithium batteries, not nickel batteries.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
So, you meant to say "high wattage charger", not "high voltage charger" - since the voltage without the amperage is insignificant.

Right right right, high current/wattage charger...lemme make a note to not try to post a quick message in the future.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Perhaps the solution then would be to bring back firewire charging. Firewire is theoretically capable of 40V @ 1.5A... Even if the charging times are a nonissue with the current iPad (debatable IMO), it is likely that power consumption will increase in the future as we expect more out of our devices. There will eventually be a point where USB charging just won't provide enough power.

Geez...I was being sarcastic...
I didn't even quote your post afaik.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Perhaps the solution then would be to bring back firewire charging. Firewire is theoretically capable of 40V @ 1.5A... Even if the charging times are a nonissue with the current iPad (debatable IMO), it is likely that power consumption will increase in the future as we expect more out of our devices. There will eventually be a point where USB charging just won't provide enough power.

I didn't even quote your post afaik.

I think power usage overall on the next few generations of iPads will go down. The screen and LTE boosted the requirements on this one, but I think we're seeing the worst of it. Look at PCs. Their overall power usage has gone way down, iPhones I think have gone down, as they are getting much better battery life.

sdipietr

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not sure sure

When I plug my Ipad3 into my Mac, the ipad says 100% charged, but the battery icon on itunes is on about 7/8ths. it takes many hours to show 100% on the itunes battery indicator.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
When I plug my Ipad3 into my Mac, the ipad says 100% charged, but the battery icon on itunes is on about 7/8ths. it takes many hours to show 100% on the itunes battery indicator.

Don't charge from your computer. It only provides a small portion of the necessary power to properly charge your iPad. It's ok every once in a while if necessary, but it's not good for the iPad to charge that slowly all the time, and it will take a very long time, as you're seeing.

jW

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Did you just make this up? That does not happen.. Do you even own an iPhone or iPad?

Go troll elsewhere:

douchebag.png

I've had 3 different i4s and 2 different i4Ss; same behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.