Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
About WhatsApp and browser history, it does? I don't see anything about it.

About Bumble, the App Privacy section in the App Store states clearly how the data is used and it's "Developer's Advertising or Marketing".

According to Apple it means:

About WhatsApp: I am going to edit my post. To the best of my recall, it used to say it has access to my browsing history, and now it does not. That is one reprieve.

About Bumble, I do know the reason why Bumble wants that access. My point was why does Bumble need that data for the services it provides? :)

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Why does Apple use such ambiguous wording. Why isn’t is just “Block all app tracking”. Why all this request BS!!

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
About Bumble, I do know the reason why Bumble wants that access. My point was why does Bumble need that data for the services it provides? :)

It does *not* need that data for the services it provides, otherwise it would be in another section of the App Privacy, likely "App Functionality".

Reactions: macintoshmac

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Interestingly - I just upgraded my ip8 to 14.5 then updated 74 apps (Holy cow) then opened up each app one by one — and only ONE of them requested to track. Guess I don't use nasty tracking apps

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
What if it's not grayed out, but automatically turned off? I have an MDM running on my phone, but it's not grayed out, and I *can* turn it on.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I turned off personalized ads and could still toggle app tracking feature, so I don't believe those two are related.
No matter which was on or off, it had no impact on the other setting.

goodgoat

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I reported this issue to apple support on Tuesday. Went through several levels of advisors and a bunch of troubleshooting including screen time and apple account like the checklist mentioned in the support article.
We narrowed it down to the Apple ID issue. Logging off fixed the toggles but logging back on made them greyed out. Tested on a separate apple device with same Apple ID on 14.4 and 14.5 as well.
they concluded saying that it’s a known issue with “growing number of affected users” and being escalated to the engineering team. Probably fix via server or software update

hope this piece of info gets more traction!

Reactions: adrianlondon

lucianoalbuq

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
I spent an hour with a very caring Apple support advisor tonight. We tried many things. One of them worked: logging out of iCloud, rebooting, then loggin in again. Hope it works for someone else out there!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It does *not* need that data for the services it provides, otherwise it would be in another section of the App Privacy, likely "App Functionality".

Again, I know that. It was all rhetorical, geared at the fact that Bumble is taking data it does not need to provide services it claims to. :)

promtonight

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
ATT is a big scam!!
To give you some background, I was very hyped about the upcoming ios 14.5 update and everything that it was going to bring to the table....especially the ATT Feature...
Was watching a lot of content explaing how ATT works... and I stumbled upon
this very underrated video!!
And now I'm having second thoughts about ATT and Apple seeding for user's privacy!

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
ATT is a big scam!!
To give you some background, I was very hyped about the upcoming ios 14.5 update and everything that it was going to bring to the table....especially the ATT Feature...
Was watching a lot of content explaing how ATT works... and I stumbled upon
this very underrated video!!
And now I'm having second thoughts about ATT and Apple seeding for user's privacy!
saying it's a big scam is not understanding what it supposed to do...

promtonight

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
saying it's a big scam is not understanding what it supposed to do...
Dude, did you watch the video??!! Doesn't it all make a lot more sense after watching the video??!!
Apologies if I offended you or anyone by saying, 'scam'... but after watching the video, it changed my perspective and it was hard for me to see this feature in the same way.... and I felt like everyone needs to see this!!
Also, is there something I missed?! like i'm down for a conversation...would want to know why you disagree...

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dude, did you watch the video??!! Doesn't it all make a lot more sense after watching the video??!!
Apologies if I offended you or anyone by saying, 'scam'... but after watching the video, it changed my perspective and it was hard for me to see this feature in the same way.... and I felt like everyone needs to see this!!
Also, is there something I missed?! like i'm down for a conversation...would want to know why you disagree...
yes I watched the video.
my point is this guy is mixing up things...
this feature is not about completely blocking tracking... it's about blocking tracking across apps or domain names not part from the same company.
This might not prevent Facebook from tracking you between lets say instagram and Facebook because they are part of the same company... but this will prevent Facebook from tracking you between apps that they do not own.

for some, it might not be enough... but it's a foot in the door... and I believe this is a good thing.

promtonight

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
yes I watched the video.
my point is this guy is mixing up things...
this feature is not about completely blocking tracking... it's about blocking tracking across apps or domain names not part from the same company.
This might not prevent Facebook from tracking you between lets say instagram and Facebook because they are part of the same company... but this will prevent Facebook from tracking you between apps that they do not own.

for some, it might not be enough... but it's a foot in the door... and I believe this is a good thing.
Okay, I understand your point... what I don't get is, whether you understood his point correctly or not...? And I mean no offense while asking that...I'm just trying to understand your understanding of that content...
Like I watched the video...and I didn't see him mentioning "Completely Blocking Tracking" even once!
And for Facebook(just giving an example can be any other company/app) to not track you across the apps that it(Facebook) doesn't own, it should first comply to ATT request right??!!
I think you should give it another watch and try to understand his point with an open mind...Again!!! I mean no offense by saying this!!!
Coz he is actually making a good point!

I hope I din't offend you or anyone...

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Okay, I understand your point... what I don't get is, whether you understood his point correctly or not...? And I mean no offense while asking that...I'm just trying to understand your understanding of that content...
Like I watched the video...and I didn't see him mentioning "Completely Blocking Tracking" even once!
And for Facebook(just giving an example can be any other company/app) to not track you across the apps that it(Facebook) doesn't own, it should first comply to ATT request right??!!
I think you should give it another watch and try to understand his point with an open mind...Again!!! I mean no offense by saying this!!!
Coz he is actually making a good point!

I hope I din't offend you or anyone...

Yes I understood his point. He's playing with words and giving his opinions as to what Apple might be doing or enforcing within its own ecosystem.

Apple cannot block tracking all together within apps or domains... but they can tell devs to not tracking across different apps or domains... which falls inline with Apple privacy.

Regarding Facebook... the app has not been updated since last week.
I'm sure the next update will show the ATT prompt... if not, it means that Facebook has disabled tracking between apps/domains. I trust Apple to do the right thing here (reject the app if it doesn't comply with ATT feature).

Apple has clarified multiple times the ATT feature. even Tim said Apple will crack down on companies trying to circumvent this feature.
Facebook backed down because they realized they could still track users within their own ecosystem/apps/domains...

promtonight

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
Yes I understood his point. He's playing with words and giving his opinions as to what Apple might be doing or enforcing within its own ecosystem.

Apple cannot block tracking all together within apps or domains... but they can tell devs to not tracking across different apps or domains... which falls inline with Apple privacy.

Regarding Facebook... the app has not been updated since last week.
I'm sure the next update will show the ATT prompt... if not, it means that Facebook has disabled tracking between apps/domains. I trust Apple to do the right thing here (reject the app if it doesn't comply with ATT feature).

Apple has clarified multiple times the ATT feature. even Tim said Apple will crack down on companies trying to circumvent this feature.
Facebook backed down because they realized they could still track users within their own ecosystem/apps/domains...
Makes sense....Although, I think there is a clear difference when 'telling' a dev vs 'asking' a dev...
And even I'm sure that Apple will do the right thing and 'Ask' companies/apps to not track across third-pary apps!! But the companies have the choice to accept or not over here!!
And I think there's a bit of misunderstanding going around...While, Apple did say that they will crack down on companies...BUT that was regarding the App Privacy Details on the App Store & not ATT!
Also, You probably didn't get it...but you actually proved his point right!! Coz if we are debating about this so much, then I think there's certainly room for More Clarification from Apple's side!!
And that's excatly what he said!! ?‍♂️

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Makes sense....Although, I think there is a clear difference when 'telling' a dev vs 'asking' a dev...
And even I'm sure that Apple will do the right thing and 'Ask' companies/apps to not track across third-pary apps!! But the companies have the choice to accept or not over here!!
And I think there's a bit of misunderstanding going around...While, Apple did say that they will crack down on companies...BUT that was regarding the App Privacy Details on the App Store & not ATT!
Also, You probably didn't get it...but you actually proved his point right!! Coz if we are debating about this so much, then I think there's certainly room for More Clarification from Apple's side!!
And that's excatly what he said!! ?‍♂️
they did clarify in a few different places... Tim Cook even mentioned it in some interview and Apple posted a video on YouTube.

if "ask" is the only confusion, I can understand...
But I guess they chose this word because apple itself cannot block tracking in the app... they can just inform the app to not track... but on the other side, they clearly stated that they will force apps to comply with the "ask to not track" setting by blocking or refusing any apps updates that is not following the guidelines.

promtonight

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
they did clarify in a few different places... Tim Cook even mentioned it in some interview and Apple posted a video on YouTube.

if "ask" is the only confusion, I can understand...
But I guess they chose this word because apple itself cannot block tracking in the app... they can just inform the app to not track... but on the other side, they clearly stated that they will force apps to comply with the "ask to not track" setting by blocking or refusing any apps updates that is not following the guidelines.
How would Asking an app not to track...be counted as informing?
I mean, I can imagine it this way...
Eg for INFORMING - "User doesn't want to be tracked...Do Not Track the user!"

Eg for ASKING - "User doesn't want to be tracked...Will you not track the user?"

I hope this made you understand the difference...
Also, what I don't get is, you keep on coming back to the point of Apple blocking or refusing any apps updates that is not following the guidelines....But that doesn't seem to be the issue here!
Like, if you think about it....Let's just assume that whatever that dude is saying is true... then why would just displaying a meaningless notification mean hearm to any company/app

Now, let's assume that whatever that dude is saying, is all wrong!!! Then, we are all good to go!!

BUT what we are doing now is playing a game of probabilities/posibilities!!!
Wouldn't it make life much easier if Apple comes out with an official statement saying that when you tap on 'Ask App Not To Track', apps will be prohibited from doing so! OR as the notification says, apps will be asked not to track... but that won't be the final judgement or something like that!

AGAIN, the more we debate about this, the more his point proves to be true that we all should Ask Apple For Clarification!

I hope this made the point much clearer to You and everybody else reading...

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
How would Asking an app not to track...be counted as informing?
I mean, I can imagine it this way...
Eg for INFORMING - "User doesn't want to be tracked...Do Not Track the user!"

Eg for ASKING - "User doesn't want to be tracked...Will you not track the user?"

I hope this made you understand the difference...
Also, what I don't get is, you keep on coming back to the point of Apple blocking or refusing any apps updates that is not following the guidelines....But that doesn't seem to be the issue here!
Like, if you think about it....Let's just assume that whatever that dude is saying is true... then why would just displaying a meaningless notification mean hearm to any company/app

Now, let's assume that whatever that dude is saying, is all wrong!!! Then, we are all good to go!!

BUT what we are doing now is playing a game of probabilities/posibilities!!!
Wouldn't it make life much easier if Apple comes out with an official statement saying that when you tap on 'Ask App Not To Track', apps will be prohibited from doing so! OR as the notification says, apps will be asked not to track... but that won't be the final judgement or something like that!

AGAIN, the more we debate about this, the more his point proves to be true that we all should Ask Apple For Clarification!

I hope this made the point much clearer to You and everybody else reading...
I understand your point and what the guy is saying... essentially it all turns around the word "ask" and also if devs will follow this setting.

Apple is usually quick to block/reject apps if they do not follow the guidelines. Guidelines are very simple... see here one example on "Asking permission to track" https://developer.apple.com/app-store/user-privacy-and-data-use/

Apple has clarified the rules of the App Store and also guidelines for this new setting/feature that need to be implemented in all updates sent to Apple since Monday... I don't know what else we can say about that.

For me it's very clear... but I guess Apple needs to clarify even more for those that are suspicious or those that still do not understand what this setting is doing and what rules have been implemented to block any "offending" apps.

promtonight

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
I understand your point and what the guy is saying... essentially it all turns around the word "ask" and also if devs will follow this setting.

Apple is usually quick to block/reject apps if they do not follow the guidelines. Guidelines are very simple... see here one example on "Asking permission to track" https://developer.apple.com/app-store/user-privacy-and-data-use/

Apple has clarified the rules of the App Store and also guidelines for this new setting/feature that need to be implemented in all updates sent to Apple since Monday... I don't know what else we can say about that.

For me it's very clear... but I guess Apple needs to clarify even more for those that are suspicious or those that still do not understand what this setting is doing and what rules have been implemented to block any "offending" apps.
Yessssssss exactly!!!
If we consider the possibility of ATT being nothing more than a mere request, I can't see how requiring apps to comply to guidelines would make any differnece...
And I agree that, Apple needs to give a clarification...Like, do you remember the privacy video that Apple put out when ios 14.5 went live?
What if they could make a simillar 1-2 min video describing what exactly this feature will do when you select either of the options and show how it will work at the software/os level OR just a AMA kind of a thing where in user's can ask Apple directly about this....
I guess, having more info. wouldn't hurt... ?‍♂️

Anyways, I'm glad that we were able to reach on a conclusion!(kind of ???)
It was lovely to have a conversation about this with you!! And I liked the fact that we could have a conversation without being toxic!
Thank You for that! ?

I hope that I did not offend you or anybody throughout this conversation! & I hope that this debate helped all the readers see the bigger picture or draw their own conclusions!

apple020997

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
Sottomarina, Italy
Grayed out and disabled on my iPhone XR but NOT grayed out (still disabled) on my iPad Air 3. Both updated the same day, no profiles, sam 11-years-old Apple ID, and I’m older than 18

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.