Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with the iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and tvOS 14.5 software updates released this week, apps must ask for permission before tracking your activity across other companies' apps and websites for targeted advertising purposes.

Allow-Apps-Request-Track-Feature.jpg

On an iPhone or iPad, users can manage tracking permissions on an app-by-app basis in the Settings app under Privacy > Tracking, and there is also an "Allow Apps to Request to Track" setting that applies to all apps. Each app that asks for permission to track while this setting is toggled off will be treated as if you tapped "Ask App Not to Track."

In a new support document, Apple said there are a few circumstances where the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" setting is grayed out, however, including:
  • For users with child accounts or under age 18 by birth year, signed in with their Apple ID
  • If your Apple ID is managed by an educational institution or uses a configuration profile that limits tracking
  • If your Apple ID was created in the last three days
9to5Mac previously reported that some users are still seeing the toggle grayed out even when the first two circumstances listed above do not apply to them, suggesting that there could be a bug or other issue going on. Apple has yet to respond to requests for comment.

Some users suspect there might be a correlation between the "Personalized Ads" setting and whether "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is grayed out.

On devices with the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" setting grayed out, all apps that request to track are denied permission by default and cannot access the device's random advertising identifier, known as the IDFA, according to Apple. Apps are also not permitted to track your activity using other information that identifies you or your device, such as your email address, although this policy is not enforced at a technical level.

Apple recently shared a video with more details about its new App Tracking Transparency requirement for those interested in learning more.

Article Link: Apple Explains Why 'Allow Apps to Request to Track' May Be Grayed Out on iOS 14.5

Reactions: Ravi_MR

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Mine's not greyed out but it is turned off. I don't remember doing this manually - is it off by default? Boy, Facebook's not going to like that!

Reactions: DeepIn2U

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Wow, I was utterly confused. I thought I needed to toggle it on to ensure apps HAD to ask. Glad I read, reread, then viewed some of the comments here.

Seems strange that it is not even possible to get around this for certain situations though.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Who remembers the days pre ios7 when ios was so simple and intelligently designed nothing needed an explanation?
I too remember when iOS was so lacking in features that it didn't need as many explanations for those features.

One way to look at it is that if you want to use iOS 14.5 like you used iOS 6 and below, none of these preferences matter anyway because they're for features that didn't exist at the time.

Technically, iOS is just as simple but has added complexity for those who want it. :)

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
none of the 3 points apply but it is still grayed out ;)

However personalized adds it turned off grayed out too

Same here. It’s been grayed out for me all through the betas and none of those three points apply for me. Very frustrating.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Has anyone actually gotten a pop-up from any app asking to track? I've tried some apps that surely should ask (Instagram) and no pop-up. This is with the new setting turned on (green).

Reactions: V.K.

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Has anyone actually gotten a pop-up from any app asking to track? I've tried some apps that surely should ask (Instagram) and no pop-up. This is with the new setting turned on (green).

I don't use instagram or Facebook...
only app so far I use that asked for tracking is AliExpress.

Instragram/Facebook may not need to track you outside of their apps or website since they already know a lot about you with friends/pages/companies you are following or interacting with.

Last edited:

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I don't use instagram or Facebook...
only app so far I use that asked for tracking is AliExpress.

Instragram/Facebook may not need to track you outside of their apps or website since they already know a lot about you with friends/pages/companies you are following or interacting with.
Pretty sure IG does as my wife will search for stuff on her PC and those items start showing up in her IG feed ads.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I've tried to compute this thread but still struggle -- please advise:

My "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is NOT grayed out and is turned OFF. By leaving this off, all apps are denied access. Correct?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
''Allow apps to never not send no requests not to track".

This isn't the first time Apple have released something and totally managed to confuse people with the wording on a simple toggle. They should have gone with:

"Don't allow apps to track" <-> "Allow each app to ask for permission to track"

Reactions: V.K.

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pretty sure IG does as my wife will search for stuff on her PC and those items start showing up in her IG feed ads.
they may track her on PC and link the activity with her IG account... but this doesn't mean they are doing the same thing on IOS.

that said, apps updates released since Monday have to implement this... before that, it was recommended by apple for 14.5 beta users... but not enforced.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
For those saying they haven't had a pop up yet I think the apps need to do their 14.5 update first. They should start appearing over the next week (or not if companies don't update their apps for months because of this, which I wouldn't put past them)

Reactions: MrGuder and iStorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.