Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
That's the nice thing about living in Seattle, people who really appreciate coffee know that you don't go to starbucks to get it. There are so many great coffee shops here that you can't go a block in a lot of neighborhoods without coming across a good independent coffee shop.
The downside is that after enough years in Seattle you become a coffee snob and have to complain as soon as you go a few miles out of Seattle and can't find a good coffee.

Seems I need to visit this "Seattle" that you talk of. ;)

Last truly excellent coffee I had was in Italy and everywhere just seems to make it perfectly... even the slack-jawed school kid with a Saturday job at the airport bar managed an amazing cappuccino.

Totally hit and miss over here.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Yippie we can now have a snitch button on our iPhone! :rolleyes:

More often than not I need those spaces, as I have 2 kids with special needs. Those who park there illegally, even if "only for a minute" (including moped riders who chain their bikes to the sign in the striped zone) should have their licenses revoked.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I look forward to the day when there will be no need for me to leave my cocoon, and any food or other stimulus I desire will be delivered automatically, at my merest thought, by tube directly to my mouth or other appropriate area of stimulus.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Hope they do not use this to deliver commercials.
Let me ask for restaurants in the area and ask for their menu, don't push them to me while I am driving.

I think the Airport example is the most useful. But depending on if such a system could be standardized, it would be like having your own little kiosk device with you for all relevant information about your location. It would presumably mean Wifi would have to be more prevalent in local stores.

arn

Preferably free wifi.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Isn't this "location aware" technology already widely used in Starbucks where the iTunes Store identifies which music is playing in that particular location?

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I look forward to the day when there will be no need for me to leave my cocoon, and any food or other stimulus I desire will be delivered automatically, at my merest thought, by tube directly to my mouth or other appropriate area of stimulus.

And Apple will help you, on your way: Home Automation

As for food, I do order groceries online. I drive to the store, open the car, and they put the food in for me. With 6 kids, it's a great time-saver. :)

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Cool app... I just think it's for the "SPECIAL" lazies out there. Stand IN line and Interact with the world you closet freak! Thank you

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
This would be nice however speaking of the airports, how many people actually pay the $7.95+ per day fee's that they charge to access the wifi networks? I have also noticed that this fee is for that single airport and not all airports. I have noticed this just going to Boston, Newark, Baltimore.

Why would I pay that much to access content that honestly should be free. Why should they charge you for WiFi when you are paying insane amounts for the airfare and hell $5.75 for a bottle of beer when your flight is delayed.

Well if it is an AT&T hot spot, if would be free, assuming it is not AT&T then if you want to use it it would not be free.

However for a service like the one on the patent, that is likely to run on a separate network that locks you to the store and does not provide you full Internet access (unless they want you to). An app in your phone may or may not get access to the full Internet in order to implement this service. Kinda like what they did with StarBucks for iTunes a while ago.

In general, the airlines and the airport are different things, just like the mall operator and the stores in the mall. Airports make moneys from fees they charge the Airline and maybe you for parking, but the majority of the ticket goes to the Airline. A 1000 dollar trip puts very little in the Airport hands as the money the Airport gets is not tied to the cost of a ticket by a particular AirLine. Yes, there maybe some percentage going to them in some cases. Airlines rip you off on their own.

MarceePauff

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007

My day is now brighter. Thank you. :)

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Let me tell you

If they implement the 3G, full Garmin style GPS, the new version 2 software, and he camera in the front for iChats, along with a score of new apps at the app store, these phones are going to fly off the freaking shelf so fast that is going to make Steve's head spin!!!!!!!

Not even Apple will be ready for the number of units they will need to build.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Who says that it has to be spam that pops up on your iPhone?

Probably there would be an icon (maybe that changes to show that local content is available) that you click, and then opens up a list of options.

Its not going to be like minority report! ;)

I agree, furthermore, the most user-friendly way this would work would be for the icon to show up on the springboard when its available. Think of it as advanced location services - if you're within WiFi range of a place, their icon could be placed on the springboard, and when you walk out of range it disappears.

So when you walk in a starbucks or McD's the icon appears, you can place your order and when its ready you go pick it up. Yeah! I don't have to deal with people! (I'm aware I'm antisocial, I like talking to people as little as possible)

Likewise, with the airport, once you walk in and are in wifi range, the icon appears and you can check flight times, schedules, etc. The app (web or sdk) would download automatically to the phone and run when you tap the icon.

saminsocks

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
This would be a lot more useful to me if it didn't just rely on proximity. If I want to order a takeout meal from a restaurant, by the time I'm in range of their Wi-Fi I'm close enough to go in. For it to be a real benefit I would want to be able to order so that it's ready when I get there. I don't mind human interaction, I just don't like waiting.

The only time I've ever carried on conversations with the people in Starbucks was when it was across the street from my job, and some of them interned for me, so I hung out with them and their co-workers outside of Starbucks, too. Otherwise, I may have had small talk about the weather, but even that happens rarely, even with the nicest of barristas.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Then get your coffee at McDonald's, where they truly don't give a darn. ;)

Actually, I like McDonald's Iced Coffee. :) Amen to not giving a hoot who gets what when - the American way!

Whenever you see someone parked illegally in the handicap-designated zone (including the striped loading zone), you should have an icon for instantly notifying the local police and writing a citizen's report to get the offending idiot ticketed. I would use that app a dozen times a day.

I'm with you, I would drive around all day long just so I could bust 20-somethings parking their Civics in the handicapped spaces.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Part of the Starbucks "experience" is the interaction and banter with the cashier and barista, as you order your drink. I don't see the automated ordering mock-up as an advantage, in this case. Now, if I could place my McDonald's order from my iPhone, without having to endure the drive-thru nightmare, it would be a plus.

This would work brilliantly at a drive-thru SBUX.

"How may I help you?"

"I'm going to scan my iPhone."

"Great! Go ahead...Ok. I've got one Venti - Triple Shot - One pump caramel - one pump sugar-free vanilla over ice shaken not stirred. Your iTMS Account will be charged $4.35"

Prompted on screen using IntelliScreen to pay using iTMS or Cash.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is really cool not to mention fun. Bring it on!

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
As someone who works with the Media Agency world, this is such a boon to mobile-based marketing. The fact that it works so well integrated with a mobile platform allows companies supporting our marketing campaigns with much more defined contact points for our consumers.

Big, fat thumbs up.

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
Appleinsider also touches on this article. It also mentioned places like the Zoo. When I was a child, the (Philadelphia) Zoo had little boxes outside of every animal "habitat." You could then use your little, red, plastic, elephant key to activate the box. A voice - you know, the deep, male voice used in all 1970's and 1980's school films :p - would start talking to explain about the animal.

Fast forward to 2008. Press a button on my iPhone and a voice starts streaming to (and from) my phone. Heck, for the fun of it, they can sample the old recordings. :D

I love this idea (in general, not just the zoo).

Oh great! So future kids will get iPhones for Xmas at school enrollment age? Damn, why must I be a kid of the 80s?? :p

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Similar to a thought I had with in car Navigation units when you go by a RestStop/Service Area, they would ask if you want information about the area...resturants, amusement parks, updated maps, etc. basically they would beam to your car. even offering deals to go to places.

I think this is a great idea...though a way theives might be able to gather info about you...not like they can't already though.

macflurry

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
Actually, I like McDonald's Iced Coffee. :) Amen to not giving a hoot who gets what when - the American way!

I'm with you, I would drive around all day long just so I could bust 20-somethings parking their Civics in the handicapped spaces.

20 somethings? Doesn't Steve Jobs himself park in handicap spots?

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Gawd.... I wish AAPL would release a software update or give us a tease.. I'm starting to get the shakes with all these rumors. :p

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
It learns your habits as you go ... ala "Click" (with Adam Sandler) ... and will start automatically ordering sandwiches at Quiznos, coffee at Starbucks, movies at Blockbuster, etc. ... even when you DON'T want it to. Perhaps it even reminds the ladies to call their mom EVERY DAY if they forget. :D

As for spam, it will start sending you customized notifications based upon your internet and purchasing habits. After, all, it goes pretty much everywhere you do.

YUCK!!! Who would ever want to eat at a Quiznos?

The day my iPhone displays a Quiznos menu is the day I buy a BlackBerry!

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Something like it (but less sophisticated) has been done with bluetooth for ages - you walk past a bar and your phone gets a connection with a bluetooth message advertising the bar. It's surprisingly effective, since so many people don't switch discovery off on their phones.

For something like this to be viable for most stores it would require iphone usage to be reasonably high - the maybe 3 people a day who even have smartphones let alone iphones isn't going to be enough to invest in technology like this (indeed it's effectiing wifi itself, which few people prepared to pay the rates to make in-store wifi viable (about £5 ($10) per hour here) the stores are simply not repairing it as it breaks).

Of course if apple are going to put wifi on the entire ipod range.. give it a couple of years and the whole scene could change. Then you'd see all sorts of things like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.