Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is exploring the use of flexible displays to make convex devices, according to a new Apple patent filing published today.

iphone-convex-display-feature-2.jpg
MacRumors concept

The application titled "Electronic devices with convex displays," was filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and builds a picture of how an Apple convex-shaped device may work. Apple devices such as iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro have curved edges, and the patent explains that such "conventional arrangements" where "only the proportions of the device other than the display have a convex shape... may limit the internal volume of the device and detract from its appearance."

The convex device envisioned in the patent would have a front face and a rear face, with the display stretching seamlessly from one side to the other. The two remaining exposed edges would allow access to the inner housing. The filing explains that the main advantage of a convex device would be maximizing the internal volume, making more space available for the battery, for example.

convex-device.jpg

Crucially, a convex device is facilitated by use of a flexible display unit. Unlike other uses of flexible displays, such as for foldable devices, the patent suggests mounting a flexible display to a rigid body. The display would therefore permanently conform to the curved shape of the body. This would make flexible displays, which are otherwise known for their lack of durability, considerably more hardwearing. In addition to a flexible display, the patent refers to other flexible layers built around the body.

Another area of interest for Apple is the capability for a convex device to potentially be more aesthetically pleasing. The patent explains that since users "may find a thinner device more desirable than a thicker device," a "convex housing shape may increase the internal volume of a device while preserving a sleek, thin look that is aesthetically pleasing."

Though devices with flexible displays have come to market as foldable smartphones, there has not been a commercial convex device of this kind before. Apple has been granted patents in the past for flexible OLED displays, foldable devices, and devices made from a single sheet of glass, and the area is a clear interest for the company.

Article Link: Apple Exploring Convex-Shaped Devices With Flexible Displays

Last edited:

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I find this interesting, but I also imagine a bar of soap and laugh.

I think the question is: Would a form factor like this be more, or less drop prone?
Your hand isn't flat, but varies in shape. Contours like that would simply allow for better contact with your palm, therefore more friction, less likely to slip or fall. (Uneducated guess, but seems probable to me.)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Another day, another one of the seven patents Apple files every business day (on the average).

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Just more artsie-fartsie garbage. I wish they would put their emphasis on functionality rather than stupid form...

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I guess iPod is an option, but my first thought was a new AppleTV remote. I know how everyone loves the touch pad on the current remote, so this would be even better. Perhaps even "the best remote we've ever made for an AppleTV."

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Would this phone shape bulge in my pocket more or less than it needs to? That’s actually more important to me than the advantages that this design is reportedly potentially able to bring.

Mikkis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: GeoSciGuy

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
We need a website only for those dumb Apple patents, obviously never destined to become a product, complete with screenshots of excited comments of people trying to explain why that is a good idea.
My favorite is still the laptop with the CD reader on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.