Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
09db7a56a494eab4477cfc43ce8ae4db.gif

I'm sure in about 20 years this could be a viable product. But in all seriousness with all of the issues we've seen lately with AI it seems like a viable robot is far off.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Follow users around their homes?

You don't mean... everywhere...

As long as I can set dead zones for it, I will be happy, but I dont want it following me everywhere I go lol
But something that can do chores for me would be nice.

Reactions: sfkeepay

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I’ve always wondered about the practical implications of this if you have, say, a multi story home.

I did see a prototype security camera on a drone which flies around the house, that has a dock it returns to when it needs to recharge.

Perhaps flying robot assistants will be the solution to the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Huck and rjjacobson

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Apple is investigating various "personal robotics" projects in an effort to create its "next big thing," according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.
Engineers at Apple have been exploring a mobile robot that can follow users around their homes, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the skunk-works project is private. The iPhone maker also has developed an advanced table-top home device that uses robotics to move a display around, they said.

Confirmed: Apple roboSkunk 🤖🦨

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Thanks for wasting another gigawatt of electricity and 10 liters of cooling water to show us what our brain was already trying not to imagine.
Oh I'm sorry for destroying the planet, I'll stop using AI and it'll all be better.

Please, the whole "carbon footprint" narrative has always been a way for large corporations to shift responsibility from themselves to the consumer.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I don’t want apple to be that type of gadget company. It turns schlocky and whiffs of bottom barrel ideas. Like the days when they were making printers. Im glad they abandoned Project Titan for the same reasons. It dilutes the core strengths of the company.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
One project is said to be a personal robot that would "follow users around their homes," while another is an "advanced table-top home device that uses robotics to move a display around":
Engineers at Apple have been exploring a mobile robot that can follow users around their homes, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the skunk-works project is private. The iPhone maker also has developed an advanced table-top home device that uses robotics to move a display around, they said.
Why would we need a table-top home device that uses robotics to move a display around when we'll all supposedly be ditching displays in favor of wearing the Vision Pro?

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.