Apple Exploring North Carolina, Northern Virginia for New Campus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

For the last several months, Apple has been exploring locations for a new campus focusing on technical support, and according to new reports, sites in North Carolina and Northern Virginia are under consideration.

The Washington Post says Apple has explored opening a campus for 20,000 employees in Northern Virginia, an area Amazon is also considering for its new campus.

[​IMG]
    Image of Apple Park via drone pilot Duncan Sinfield

Apple told economic development officials in Northern Virginia that it is seeking four million square feet of space to accommodate 20,000 jobs, and officials proposed several potential sites.
    Separately, the Triangle Business Journal says that Apple is considering establishing its new campus in Research Triangle Park in North Carolina. Research Triangle Park, a 22 million square foot research park, has become an attractive site for tech companies and is known as North Carolina's technology hub due to its proximity to NC State, the University of North Carolina, and Duke University.

Apple CEO Tim Cook reportedly met with North Carolina governor Roy Cooper and commerce secretary Tony Copeland while Cook was in town over the weekend to give the commencement speech at Duke University.

Apple in January said that it would invest $350 billion in the U.S. economy and create 20,000 jobs over the next five years, partially through the launch of a fourth major campus. At the time, Apple said that the campus would not be built in California or Texas, which is where its current campuses are located.

The company declined to provide additional details on the campus' location, and has since been exploring its options and negotiating with various states for tax cuts and other benefits.

Apple's upcoming campus will not be like its major corporate campuses in Northern California, One Infinite Loop and Apple Park, as it is expected to be focused on housing customer service and technical support employees.

Apple CEO Tim Cook in March said that Apple is "not doing the beauty contest thing" for its new campus, taking a dig at Amazon's decision to announce 20 finalist cities as the potential locations for its own new campus. "That's not Apple," he said.

"From our point of view, we didn't want to create this contest, because I think what comes out of that is you wind up putting people through a ton of work to select one, so that is a case where you have a winner and a lot of losers. I don't like that," Cook added at the time.

Update: North Carolina news site WRAL says that its sources believe Apple is close to announcing a deal that could bring up to 10,000 new jobs to North Carolina. Many of those jobs are "high-tech research and development jobs."

Apple is said to be planning to lease office space in Cary to start with, hiring approximately 1,000 employees before building and transitioning to a 300 acre campus in the southern part of Research Triangle Park. Apple may also be planning to invest in additional infrastructure, opening another data center in the state.

Article Link: Apple Exploring North Carolina, Northern Virginia for New Campus

2. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

3. AngerDanger, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Thank God. Apple is been in that donut shaped building forever.

4. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Even if their furniture was simpler or windows not as sophisticated, it would probably save more money
    than most top 100 companies budget. Imagine what could be achieved with that if only Apple could think different...

5. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

PLEASE Virginia, God this state is boring

6. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

7. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

{ Tim's inner monologue}
    "Oooo nice shade on ol' Bezos."

{Tim's inner monologue}
    "Eh, kind of ironic statement as you read the industry profit report from IDC for the 10th time"

{Cook's inner-inner monlogue}
    "Shut the eff up Tim."
    /looks at report again

8. brendu macrumors 68020

An Apple office building won’t make it less boring, just more crowded.

9. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

I would have thought North Carolina would be out of the running due to it's recent history of being legislatively hostile to civil rights.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The more technical support, the better. Hold times are so long these days.

11. kanki1985 macrumors member

I know of this services company that focussed so much on campus building and shareholders that it forgot all about its employees! now, its all a downward spiral for it.. Hope Apple doesnt end up like that...

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Really what they are looking for is landing space. A few times a month they plan to fly the office from CA to NC/VA and land. Do business, have meetings, shop, whatever then fly back home. Its the main reason the building has the shape it does.

13. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This is fine, just stay out of the midwest! That goes for you too, Amazon. I don't want my ridiculously low cost of living to go away any time soon.

14. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

No thanks, the traffic sucks enough as it is thank you...

15. justperry, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I had the same thoughts, as soon as it's known where the new campus will be located real estate prices rockets, good to own land there though.

Edited: Spelling

16. Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

Tech companies are getting just a bit pretentious for my taste. “We don’t work in a series of office buildings, we work on a campus”.

17. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

And getting worse every day.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To Be honest, I think even calling in for some remote issues is antiquated. A lot of troubleshooting is being conducted online chat where you can reach customer service almost instantaneous and Can still guide the customer through technical tips and so forth. So there’s multiple ways of actually exercising to get a hold of technical support side from the phone.

19. dabocx macrumors member

dabocx

I think the difference is that Tech companies build these out with the intention of people never having to go home. They have food options, doctors office, gyms, sleeping areas, hair salons, dog daycare, dry cleaning and everything else you'd ever need. Just work all day 24/7!
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2018 ---
    I am surprised they aren't just building out their Austin location more, its grown a lot over the past few years.

20. tomaszk macrumors newbie

21. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah. Good for people who want to get rich quick. Not so great for people who have lived there a long time and wish to continue doing so. If Apple and Amazon end up being relatively close out there I could see that area turning into a Silicon Valley of sorts for the East Coast.

22. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Perhaps Apple could build a giant "1" in keeping with their recent theme. Put it in Pentagon City.

23. neliason macrumors 6502

The poor taxpayers of NC or VA are about to get ripped off. The free market isn’t handing out money to wealthy corporations collected from hard working regular folks.

Being a southern state it is funny that NC gets ridiculed about this for being on the side of science, specifically biology.

24. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

I grew up in the DC area(MD) and the traffic in VA has always been terrible. Even with one of those companies going in, the traffic and housing costs will be that much worse.

25. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Too bad the the powers that be in VA can't be like "We'll let you build here, and give you a tax break, if you finance X amount of housing development and Y amount of roads/transportation." Though I wonder what an Apple-designed apartment/condo complex would be like. Also, with the money pile has & generates, they could probably do a lot in terms of transportation upkeep & public transit.