Apple-Expo 2008 Highlights

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Expo 2008 took place last week from September 17-20th in Paris, France. The European expo drew few headlines in the U.S. press due to the lack of participation by Apple. TechRadar UK provides a report from the expo floor and found that there were a good mix of vendors:
    Products of interest highlighted by TechRadar:

- Griffin AirCurve - acoustic amplifier that turns your iPhone into a no-power-drain alarm clock on your nightstand, or a mini sound system that never needs batteries or adapters.
    - Griffin Clarifi - iPhone case with built-in macro lens
    - Sweetcover - Mac laptop cases
    - RealMac Software's LittleSnapper - Mac software to capture, organise, annotate and share screenshots from your desktop and the web.
    - VMware's Fusion 2.0 - virtualization software for Intel Macs, allowing them to run Windows
    - Iomega's eGo Helium Portable Hard Drive - MacBook Air styled external hard drives
    - MacAlly's Mirage - iPod nano case with reflective mirrored finish allows iPod screen to show through when it's turned on.
    - MacAlly PowerLink - 3-in-1 battery pack, data sync, flash drive for iPod and iPhone

Article Link

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I wonder why there was a "lack of participation from Apple"?

3. Doju macrumors 68000

4. edcrosay macrumors member

edcrosay

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And nothing of value was lost...

The VMWare Fusion update was nice though.

6. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

some neat little gadgets. i will have to check these out. any personal recommendations from anyone in the forum?

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Some innovative products there - the PowerLink is a great idea, definitely consider one of them if I need a new flash drive

8. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

in response to the griffin aircurve: wouldnt you guys just buy an iHome or something?

9. ironmanbs macrumors newbie

ironmanbs

not bad

the lense looks cool, but I really wonder how well it works? Things like that always look a lot better on the website. The sound amplifier is a good idea. I will wait till there are some reviews up before I drop any more money.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Ditto...I don't have an iPhone but that's a pretty cool idea.

11. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

Interesting products.

I am an OIF vet who suffers from PTSD. I freak out as it is when my Iphone goes off as an alarm right now so I am not sure if I can handle amplifying my phone with that alarm clock by Griffin. My wife wants to get it though..... because its "pretty!" *PSH* Women!

I see a future... not too distant from now... much like yours and mine..... except my iphone is in pieces on the floor and I am standing above it smashing it repeatedly with the griffin alarm stand. Grrrrrrr!

12. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Welcome to great moments in understatement.

The aforementioned understatement should address that. Macs are only highlighted by Apple nowadays when and where they work out as iPod/iPhone accessories.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

considering the price difference and all that it looks like a nice alternative.

14. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I could really see me buying the Griffin Clarify case somewhen. Seems like a really neat idea! But first I need to buy an iPhone.

15. Wigo macrumors newbie

Sweetcover website intro music?

Can anyone tell me what the name and artist is of the first song that plays on Sweetcover website? I really like it.

http://www.sweetcover.com/

16. Rtb1 macrumors member

Rtb1

Artist: Madcon
    Song: "Beggin"

17. str1f3 macrumors 68000

i was lookin for that myself! thx, Rtb1

18. ibanana macrumors 6502

shame that nothing really happens in Apple Expo.
    Paris is probably not nice enough for Steve!!!!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

the mirage looks kinda sweet, a little gimmicky though

21. danielpi macrumors newbie

danielpi

AirCurve

AirCurve or whatever the hell they're calling it: what crap.

Firstly, while the iPhone speakers aren't bad -- relative to other cellphones -- it hardly makes sense to "amplify" them. They're not "good" enough to warrant that. And strictly speaking, it's not an "amplifier" in any accurate sense of the term, since it's really just concentrating the sound -- not amplifying it. It's like a megaphone, basically. It's not like it's creating more sound -- it's just directing it in a particular direction.

The BS claims about the macro lens are equally pseudo-science. They throw in a filter (which may or may not suit what you're shooting), and they say that it "enhances" colors.

Never really had a problem with Griffin before, but it looks like they're just hawking merchandise that belongs in 3AM television ads. Really terrible gimmicks at a premium price.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, what's the dealwith this voo-doo magic?

Pretty much the same thing as the macro lens, but in a larger form. Can you believe it? You're right, it's unbelievable!

23. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Aircurve

The aircurve actually seems pretty slick, and at $19.99 an awful lot cheaper than an iHome. If only you could order a 2nd 'Headrest' for tipping the phone sideways so you could watch a movie AND listen to it at the same time (if you don't have headphones, of course). Currently, it's either watch, OR put the speaker to your ear.

24. Diggity-Dan macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing when I was checking that site out. It's definitely a catchy tune.

Thank god for Shazam

But I notice someone already posted the answer.

25. Aegis macrumors newbie

and just to be complete on this...
    original artist: Frankie Valli

the song got a lot of airplay when Pilooski did a new mix of the song.. with this cover following it.