Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gta1216

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
I am having a lot of problem with my iPhone 12 ever since receiving it in Oct 2020. I called Apple and they agreed to replace it, and they insist it is a new unit. The previous time I exchanged an iPhone was my 6+ years ago. The person at the Genius Bar said it is new, but I got a refurb unit.

I already paid the $29 fee. I was told the replacement unit will arrive in a few days. How do I know if the unit I received is new or refurb? I found a website and said the first letter of the model number indicate the type of iPhone as follows.

M it means your iPhone is a new device, which was purchased from Apple Store Online or Apple Retail Store.
F it means your iPhone is a refurbished device.
N – it means your iPhone is a replacement device, which means that it was replaced by Apple or Apple Authorized Service Center due to a problem. Replacement iPhones are usually refurbished devices as well.
P it means your iPhone is a personalized device, which means that the device has a personalized engraving.

jordysak

Suspended
Jan 8, 2021
From what I know, Apple makes three different types: new, refurbished and replacement.
What you get with apple replacement is a replacement model, which is essentially a refurbished model but with a casing (the outside body) that is comparable to a new so I'd assume it'd be hard to tell a difference from a new one just by looking at it, but yes a replacement iPhone is not the same as a brand new iPhone but wait for others to confirm this, as I am not 100% sure. If you don't mind me asking , what issues did you have? And I'm assuming you had apple care to have express replacement

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I dropped my 12 back in November and completely smashed the back of the device. I received an express replacement from Apple that is refurbished. Couldn't decipher it from new anyway. I always presumed that whenever Apple replaced any of my iDevices, the replacement would be a refurbished unit.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It will never be "new" in a retail package. It may still come off the same "new" production line, and just go into generic packaging. This certainly happens, because they have replacement devices in generic packaging available on launch day.

It's impossible to distinquish new/replacement/refurbished visually, but the replacement/refurbs do have a different device model number. https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-tell-if-your-iphone-is-new-or-refurbished/

Reactions: na1577

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I am having a lot of problem with my iPhone 12 ever since receiving it in Oct 2020. I called Apple and they agreed to replace it, and they insist it is a new unit. The previous time I exchanged an iPhone was my 6+ years ago. The person at the Genius Bar said it is new, but I got a refurb unit.

I already paid the $29 fee. I was told the replacement unit will arrive in a few days. How do I know if the unit I received is new or refurb? I found a website and said the first letter of the model number indicate the type of iPhone as follows.

M it means your iPhone is a new device, which was purchased from Apple Store Online or Apple Retail Store.
F it means your iPhone is a refurbished device.
N – it means your iPhone is a replacement device, which means that it was replaced by Apple or Apple Authorized Service Center due to a problem. Replacement iPhones are usually refurbished devices as well.
P it means your iPhone is a personalized device, which means that the device has a personalized engraving.
If it's a warranty replacement, the model number will be N instead of M. However, since it's done through Apple, it will be "like new". I would not worry too much about it. Check Settings > About for the model number.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
A replacement refurbished iPhone is indistinguishable from new. It'll have the plastic coating over the display and a new housing and will have been throughly tested. I'm using a 6 year old iPhone that I purchased as a refurbished unit and it has been flawless for the 6 years I've been using it — all day every day.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wish this was a sticky. It's a question that gets asked every time there's a new iPhone.

The replacement may not be new, but will not be a refurb. What it most likely will be, and what Apple refers to it as internally, is 'remanufactured.' Brand new iPhones are generally only available as replacements during the first month or so after a launch because that's all Apple has then. Over time, remanufactured iPhones generally become the greatest percentage. As already mentioned, some new phones are diverted from the line into the white boxes that Apple uses for replacements, but these will be less over time.

Remanufactured iPhones include a new battery, a new screen and a new casing. All other parts are tested and replaced if they fail. Then the entire device itself is subjected to testing and must pass QC.

If you have any AC+ warranty that gets extended by 30 days.

KrisBreezy91

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2020
I’ve just had mine replaced under warranty as they lock button became jammed.

My serial number begins with an F so would assume based on what’s been posted it’s a refurb. But it looks absolutely brand spankers so even if it is a refurbished there’s absolutely no way to tell from looking at it.

gta1216

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
These are the problems I have been experiencing. I've tried power cycling my phone several times and reset the network settings several times. Nothing seems to fix these problems.

1. The phone is always connected to the home wifi. The internet works fine. Then for no apparent reason, the phone just loses internet connection. I have to turn off the wifi then turn it back on to re-establish the internet connection (via wifi). When the wifi is off, that means I'm back on 5G, but there's still no internet.
  2. I am outside in public and connected via 5G. The internet works fine. Then the phone loses internet connection. I would have to turn the data off then turn it back on to re-establish internet connection.
  3. Regardless if I called someone or someone calls me, randomly I cannot hear the other person, the other person cannot hear me, or we cannot hear each other at the same time.
  4. The phone call audio by default is to the speaker (not loudspeaker). Then for no apparent reason, the audio transferred to the loudspeaker. I first thought my face activated the loudspeaker every time. On numerous occasions, my phone was on my desk when I received a call. I just swiped to answer the call while the phone was still sitting on my desk, but the loudspeaker was activated. This confirmed I did not accidentally activated the loudspeaker.
  5. I am in the middle of a call (whether on speaker, loudspeaker, or AirPods) and have to wake up the phone to access the number pad or look at something, but I am unable to wake it up. Since there is no home button ever since iPhone X, I activated the "tap to wake" function within accessibility. Even when I press the side power button, it doesn't wake up. I have to tap the glass and press the side power button several times to wake it up. I didn't have any problem waking up my iPhone X by tapping on the front glass, but I've experienced this problem with on my iPhone 12 many times.
I know the refurb or "replacement" iPhone looks just as nice as a brand new one, but why would I spend $1K on a phone and have to trade it for a refurb unit after 3 months? If so, I could just wait for refurbs to be available for purchase.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
These are the problems I have been experiencing. I've tried power cycling my phone several times and reset the network settings several times. Nothing seems to fix these problems.

1. The phone is always connected to the home wifi. The internet works fine. Then for no apparent reason, the phone just loses internet connection. I have to turn off the wifi then turn it back on to re-establish the internet connection (via wifi). When the wifi is off, that means I'm back on 5G, but there's still no internet.
  2. I am outside in public and connected via 5G. The internet works fine. Then the phone loses internet connection. I would have to turn the data off then turn it back on to re-establish internet connection.
  3. Regardless if I called someone or someone calls me, randomly I cannot hear the other person, the other person cannot hear me, or we cannot hear each other at the same time.
  4. The phone call audio by default is to the speaker (not loudspeaker). Then for no apparent reason, the audio transferred to the loudspeaker. I first thought my face activated the loudspeaker every time. On numerous occasions, my phone was on my desk when I received a call. I just swiped to answer the call while the phone was still sitting on my desk, but the loudspeaker was activated. This confirmed I did not accidentally activated the loudspeaker.
  5. I am in the middle of a call (whether on speaker, loudspeaker, or AirPods) and have to wake up the phone to access the number pad or look at something, but I am unable to wake it up. Since there is no home button ever since iPhone X, I activated the "tap to wake" function within accessibility. Even when I press the side power button, it doesn't wake up. I have to tap the glass and press the side power button several times to wake it up. I didn't have any problem waking up my iPhone X by tapping on the front glass, but I've experienced this problem with on my iPhone 12 many times.
I know the refurb or "replacement" iPhone looks just as nice as a brand new one, but why would I spend $1K on a phone and have to trade it for a refurb unit after 3 months? If so, I could just wait for refurbs to be available for purchase.
If someone has to file a claim under AC+, a refurb often times fulfills the terms of the contact on Apple's side. That is why some people get refurbished phones. If you need a phone and aren't trying to be made whole under the terms of AC+, buying from the Apple Refurbished store is a smart move.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple's one year warranty terms and conditions make it very clear…

WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?​

If during the Warranty Period you submit a claim to Apple or an AASP in accordance with this warranty, Apple will, at its option:

(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability,

(ii) replace the Apple Product with the same model (or with your consent a product that has similar functionality) formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or

(iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.

Applecare+ is simply an extension of the warranty with accidental damage waivers.

By accepting the phone and using it you agreed to these terms.

Reactions: Shadowbech

Rizop

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
I had a release day iPhone 12 Pro Max that was giving me cellular connectivity issues . I called apple within 2 1/2 weeks of purchase and they sent me a new unit starting with serial number G with the retail box . The new one has been great so far .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had a release day iPhone 12 Pro Max that was giving me cellular connectivity issues . I called apple within 2 1/2 weeks of purchase and they sent me a new unit starting with serial number G with the retail box . The new one has been great so far .
That's because within the first month or so of release all they have is new units. How do they do replacements with 'refurb' or remanufactured that early after launch?

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Rizop

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
That's because within the first month or so of release all they have is new units. How do they do replacements with 'refurb' or remanufactured that early after launch?
Yup , that’s what I figured . Honestly it’s the first time I’ve received a new replacement unit. I guess that’s the silver lining of buying a launch day device , although the refurbs are usually fantastic

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It’s a refurbished iPhone that has had the outside case replaced and what was wrong with it fixed. It comparable to a’Certified Car’
ITs like new and quality control is better

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I have a replacement 2018 iPad pro 11" coming tomorrow under AC+, guess it will be a refurbished. Better be good.

gta1216

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
I just received the replacement unit, but still deciding if I will keep my own phone and live with the problems, or accept the replacement unit. I didn't open it yet, so I don't know if the model number will start with N or F. For sure it won't start with M.

If it was you, would you rather live with your phone that is having problem, or accept a replacement unit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.