Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has extended free repairs of anti-reflective coating issues for select MacBook and MacBook Pro models.

MacBook-Pro-anti-reflective-wearing-off.jpg

Apple has authorized coverage within four years from the original purchase date of affected models, according to an internal document distributed to Apple Authorized Service Providers and later obtained by MacRumors.

Eligible models, listed below, qualify for a free display replacement within the four-year coverage period. Check your receipt to determine the exact purchase date of your MacBook or MacBook Pro.
o MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2013)
o MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2013)
o MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2013)
o MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2013)
o MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2014)
o MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2014)
o MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2015)
o MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2015)
o MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016)
o MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
o MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017)
o MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
o MacBook (12-inch, Early 2015)
o MacBook (12-inch, Early 2016)
o MacBook (12-inch, Early 2017)Apple's document states that all 2012 MacBook Pro models are no longer eligible since they were discontinued over four years ago.

Apple previously confirmed to us that this repair program continues to be handled internally rather than being publicly announced.

Affected customers can schedule a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store using the Apple Support app. Or, on the Get Support page, click Mac -> Mac Notebooks -> Hardware Issues -> Display Issue and options should be presented to initiate a repair or contact Apple via phone, email, or online chat.

Apple's support website will ask for your Mac's serial number, which can be found by clicking on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and clicking on About This Mac in the dropdown menu.

We've learned that Apple has supposedly prohibited support advisors from mentioning details about the anti-reflective coating repair program in online chat sessions, so visiting an Apple Store may be required. If you contact Apple by phone, asking for your call to be escalated to a senior advisor may help.

Affected customers can also visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to determine if their notebook is eligible for coverage. Apple's document states that these third-party repair shops can even replace displays with other damage free of charge so long as the anti-reflective coating issues are present.

Apple's internal document also states that customers who already incurred out-of-warranty costs related to this issue continue to be eligible for a refund, which can be initiated by contacting Apple support directly.

Apple first began this repair program in October 2015, and already extended it once, after some MacBook and MacBook Pro users experienced issues with the anti-reflective coating wearing off or delaminating on Retina displays.

The damage appears to be caused by a variety of factors, including the pressure of the keyboard and trackpad on the display when closed, and the use of incorrect third-party cleaning solutions with microfiber cloths.

Over 12,000 customers joined a Facebook group dedicated to the issue, and hundreds of others have claimed to be affected across the Apple Support Communities, MacRumors forums, Twitter, Reddit, and other discussion platforms. The website Staingate.org contains a gallery of damaged displays.

Article Link: Apple Extends Free Repairs of Anti-Reflective Coating on Select MacBook and MacBook Pro Models

Last edited:

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Anyone here own these MacBook models listed above and have NOT had any issues with their display? My MacBook Pro 2015 shows none of those display issues, guess I got a lucky one.

Reactions: stainless and Feher

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Anyone here own these MacBook models listed above and have NOT had any issues with their display? My MacBook Pro 2015 shows none of those display issues, guess I got a lucky one.

I've got a Genius Bar appointment on Monday for this very thing... This will be my second display... A tiny yet visible blister has appeared on the screen which is noticeable when the display is on or off.

Reactions: Avieshek

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
The anti-reflective coating issues do not appear to affect any MacBook Pro models released in 2016 or later.
Yet. Took about 2 years for the issue to manifest itself on my 2015 rMBP. Apple replaced the display no questions asked of course.

edit:

Update: MacRumors has received a supplementary internal document that lists all 12-inch MacBook models, and 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro models, as affected products.
Well, there you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Are you sure this issue doesn't affect new MBPs? Because some users on the forum said they had minor keyboard marks on the antireflective coating of their 2016 MBP.

chesterfieldSt

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
My 2015 was replaced twice: If you look closely with the laptop off, in the center, I had lines from the keyboard etched into the screen (mostly the spacebar.) I'm on my third screen (counting the one that came with it.) My laptop is my tool to write code and as long as it doesn't get in the way, I don't care anymore partly because I had to leave the laptop with Apple each time. Three screens later and it's still happening. Save your time and just use the laptop, that's what I learned.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeray

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro 13" and 2015 MacBook Pro 15" and neither has this problem, but my MacBook Air from 2011 did have the problem.

I am more careful about cleaning the Pros though. I never use any cleaners, just wipe lightly with a clean, microfiber duster, or if I get something really nasty, a damp, soft cotton tee. Keep the keyboard clean too. I think if oil from the keyboard transfers to the screen, it will eat away the coatings if you just leave the oil there forever.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Had this issue on a 2013 refurbished rMBP, Apple took care of it with no questions asked when I took it in last month.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I have a 2013 15-MBP and it's still fine. Also, a 2014 15-MBP (work) which has this issue, and has for 18 months or so. In an around the bezel area.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
My 2012 MBP 13” has this problem, but I managed to sell it on eBay last fall highlighting that the screen coating had some damage. Hope this doesn’t happen to my current MBP.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I had one of these I was using until just a couple weeks ago (now passed on to another user). No problems at all with the display, to date. For what it's worth though, it spent a whole lot of time with its lid closed because I only took it with me once a week to use at a remote office. The rest of the time, it usually sat on my desk in the bedroom, attached to external displays, keyboard and mouse, with its own lid shut.

Anything's possible, but I find some of these supposed "reasons" for the failure to just be grasping at straws by Apple staff. (Too much pressure from the keyboard keys against the glass? That's a design or engineering flaw, if true. I never liked the way most Apple notebooks seem to let the display glass rest against the keyboard keys when you close them. You can tell on a lot of my work's Macbook Airs that this happens because they develop marks on the glass over time that you have to keep wiping off, with the outline of the rows of keys.) And using improper cleaning solutions on microfiber cloths? Umm.... ok. But except for the random insane person who decides turpentine is the perfect screen cleaner, how often is this really an issue? And why would the coating break down around the screen edges first if that had anything to do with it? You should see it breaking down in streaks across the entire area of the glass where they wiped it down.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I had this problem. I went to the store and it was taken care of. Shortly after I sold the computer.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the 2014 13" which doesn't have any permanent damage on the screen, but constantly has marks on the screen from the keyboard caps when I open it up (they wipe off, for now)

Do Apple actually fix the problem that causes this (keyboard rubbing screen etc), or is the screen coating the issue?

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
So if I enter my serial number on the website and it’s eligible but I’m not experiencing any issues with the display, would it be a good idea to go through with the repair anyway as a preventative measure?

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
I had this on my 2015 MBP, it appeared with a few months. Finally got the screen replaced, yet, of course, that cost me £30+ because I have to travel to an Apple store (UK Apple stores are few and far between, and our trains are outrageously priced). I also had to sacrifice an afternoon of labour.

All in all, not exactly “free” for something that is entirely Apple’s fault and not mine.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
So if I enter my serial number on the website and it’s eligible but I’m not experiencing any issues with the display, would it be a good idea to go through with the repair anyway as a preventative measure?
They're not going to replace the screen if it's not exhibiting the issue.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
If you get nothing wrong with your MBP but it falls in the date range. Will you be able to swap for a new display?
That doesn't really buy you anything. As far as I'm aware, they haven't improved the coating on the replacement displays.

Reactions: fairuz

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I have the issue to a small extent, but it never seemed worth taking the laptop in to be fixed. How long do the repairs usually take and do you have to send it away?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.