Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
That’s interesting. What area do you live in? I’m in the Pennines (UK) and every supermarket, Cade, and restaurant I’ve been to in the last year has taken Apple Pay. I mean, I’d say most took it the moment it launched thanks to it being functionally identical to contactless.
Unfortunately, that just isn't the case in the United States. I love using it in the UK, though. I would say my experience using it there has been about 90% acceptance, more prevalent than a lot of other countries.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I understand you're specifically talking about Apple Pay, but the same logic could be applied to iMessage.

Do you feel that Apple should never have bothered to develop iMessage because not everybody has an iDevice?

It would be nice if all chat clients talked to each other of course, but at the end of the day it's just "chat" and we have many ways to communicated.
The transfer of goods for currency is basic and fundamental to how the world works in reality.
You have goods and I give you currency in change for those goods.
To make this work we invented the thing called "Money"
And it needs to be standard to work.
I'm all for any advancement, but lets look at the current method/s and come up with a new (better?) method, easier to use that also works for everyone.
Having incompatible money does no one any favors, as you then have to also carry other methods in case the person you wish to buy items from can't accept your form of payment.

It would be like having the USA, and having 6 foreign cash currencies live in the USA at the same time, and any trader as any location could pick which of them to accept or give out.
What a nightmare that would be for you as a consumer.
You would be saying. For gods sake, lets all use the same one so I don't need to carry all 6 with me at all times.

So, now, in this "Modern World" we have the knowledge and skill to make sure we don't mess up and we work FOR the consumer, and all tech companies work together FOR THE GOOD of the consumers and set a standard that they are all compatible with.

Sure they have can their own user interface or perhaps security that each device needs in order to activate this function, but once set up on ANY device, the actual transfer and ability to pay should be 100% compatible with a standard.

So I can order my Tesla Car, Buy the burger, Get a stick of gum, Pay you $1.13, buy a plastic toy from a yard sale, etc etc with the same method, and everyone with any "phone?" can accept the payment. from 1 cent to say $100,000.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Talk to the banks, not Apple. They are the ones who use your SS# to verify and link direct access to a checking account, which is what this does.

This has nothing to do with the banks, it's just the old school mentality of verification .. this has to do with public record. You can verify your identity via public record if you want to buy insurance, go to Geico.com ... you can verify your identity if you want to sign up for FedEx.com or UPS.com via public record. There's absolutely no reason to keep using the outdated SSN which clearly is vulnerable to causing major damage when in the wrong hands (news lately)... for such silly things as small value P2P payments. It's absurd.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I really feel that this particular feature will be a tipping point for many people to finally get into cashless day to day life and understand it’s not that scary.

For many contactless is not about more features , current Apple Pay offering is the best contactless solution . What is people actually fear is features such as these that if their phone gets stolen..... more and more ways to access ones money.

The hurdle most don't pass is even using their cards as contactless, let alone setting it up on a device

The other hurdle , £30 limit.....

Reactions: jpn

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I'm definitely looking forward to this. My wife and I have separate and joint bank accounts, but it's clunky when one of us needs a quick cash infusion from the other. Login on the bank app, step through to transfer, enter the amount, transfer the funds....Then the other one has to log into the bank app, go into the joint account, step through to transfer, enter the amount, transfer the funds. It's around 7 steps and 12 'taps' on each side just to send $50 to each other. With this, we can do it in three or four steps with the equivalent 'taps'. And, apparently, since we both tie our apple pay into our debit cards it'll be free to do.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm definitely looking forward to this. My wife and I have separate and joint bank accounts, but it's clunky when one of us needs a quick cash infusion from the other. Login on the bank app, step through to transfer, enter the amount, transfer the funds....Then the other one has to log into the bank app, go into the joint account, step through to transfer, enter the amount, transfer the funds. It's around 7 steps and 12 'taps' on each side just to send $50 to each other. With this, we can do it in three or four steps with the equivalent 'taps'. And, apparently, since we both tie our apple pay into our debit cards it'll be free to do.

Or you could hand over a $50 note to whoever wants it in 1 step, and then they could spend it anywhere.
Not just at places that accept Apple Pay :)

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Or you could hand over a $50 note to whoever wants it in 1 step, and then they could spend it anywhere.
Not just at places that accept Apple Pay :)

Good point, but neither of us uses cash. I haven't used cash in over 20 years and she hasn't for at least the last 5. Plus, you can tap a button and the money instantly goes into your account through the debit card you have connected to your apple pay, so you can then swipe the card.

Reactions: azing

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Do people really need to pass cash (or equivalent) back and forth that often? (I never do.)
I have clients in Europe that often pay me using PayPal and I'd rather do this through Apple Pay and iMessages.
If this launched worldwide on day one I would've been happy, I think this will be huge.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I really feel that this particular feature will be a tipping point for many people to finally get into cashless day to day life and understand it’s not that scary.

I didn't read through the 8 pages of replies, but I hope this is true. I never have any cash on me. It has been that way for several years now. My wife always ensures she has a couple bucks on her, but never anything large.

With the introduction to Venmo, it makes it easier to pay back friends/family for stuff when you don't have cash on you. Obviously I wouldn't want to see cash go by the wayside, but I think it will make easier for everyone once they understand the concept better.

Combi06

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
What I **REALLY** want to know is that if you send or receive a payment -- can you reverse the payment later on?

In other words, how safe is this for things like Craigslist sales? Is it actually "cash"? or can you still be scammed with this?
This!! I got scammed using Venmo (did the deal through OfferUp).

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
What's the difference between losing your wallet and losing your phone? If you lose your wallet you lose cash, credit cards and other important pieces of identity so you're in a much worse position besides just being cash stranded. If you lose you phone you just lose the value of that phone and you might even have the ability to find it again.
I don't carry that much cash on me. I have never lost my wallet, but I have broken my phone on a couple of occasions.

Also, I'm under the impression that fans of Apple Pay, especially those on this thread, go cashless or close enough. Losing a $300 to $1200 iPhone still seems to be worse, especially since a few calls to send new credit cards are free. Losing government issued IDs is bad, but for many of us, losing our smartphones can be pretty bad as well. It's also possible to recover your wallet, although I will acknowledge that you also have the option to to call your iPhone and/or use location tracking services to try to find it.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
This!! I got scammed using Venmo (did the deal through OfferUp).

In theory if it's backed by Visa\MasterCard\Discover, it should come with the same protections as any other debit card. The issue is the Paypals and Venmo's have taken hands-off approaches to many of their transactions now. Sure if you use PayPal through a qualified vendor like eBay, PayPal helps resolve disputes, but short of using a credit card, you're really left unprotected against or have rights to combat fraud\chargebacks as a buyer or seller. It's amazing to see anyone ever use Venmo with a complete stranger. If you think it provides any safety, you're dead wrong.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It's also possible to recover your wallet, although I will acknowledge that you also have the option to to call your iPhone and/or use location tracking services to try to find it.
Whenever I misplace my iPhone, I tap a button on my Watch and the phone makes a loud pinging sound (even if its volume is turned down or it's set on vibrate). If its location is not immediately apparent, I can use Find My iPhone to track its current location, and I can lock it remotely, making it much closer to worthless to anyone tempted to "help" it wander away. My phone has these baked-in features that make it harder to misplace than a traditional wallet, and losing my wallet would entail calling numerous companies and then waiting a day or three for replacement cards to arrive.

There was an apocryphal story, early on, of someone realizing they'd left their iPhone in a cab, and racing to track down the cab a few blocks away, aided by using Find My iPhone on the web on a friend's phone. The driver said, "no, sorry, it's not here", but when they remotely told the iPhone to make a noise, the noise came out, loud and clear, from the front seat, right next to the driver. Try doing that with a wallet.

Reactions: Cartoonkid

Rakurai

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
“Now you can portion out your insultingly meager paycheck with just a swipe!”

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
I use REVOLUT for P2P money transfers. What’s great about this app is that you can do it in 5 different currencies at interbank rates.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Good point, but neither of us uses cash. I haven't used cash in over 20 years and she hasn't for at least the last 5. Plus, you can tap a button and the money instantly goes into your account through the debit card you have connected to your apple pay, so you can then swipe the card.

Really?
In over 20 years, never once used cash for any purchase?

I use very little cash, but there are still times and places I have done.
Buying something for £1 from a charity shop, or a car boot/garage sale.

You must be very unusual to have never used ANY cash ever since 1997

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Unfortunately, that just isn't the case in the United States. I love using it in the UK, though. I would say my experience using it there has been about 90% acceptance, more prevalent than a lot of other countries.
It's not perfect here though. Recently I tried to buy an Apple Watch with Apple Pay and it refused. Not so worried that I thought it was because of how much the payment was; I contacted my bank, Apple, nobody had answers and that just made me more worried. It's put a fear in me that Apple Pay might not always work so I carry my debit card now too - just in case.

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the PSA! I've got a Capital One 360 account at 1.2% interest. I had no idea Amex offered better rates.

And before anybody says that 0.05% doesn't matter, if you've got a substantial balance, it does. (Not bragging, just saying.)

It turns out that Goldman Sachs Bank now offers 1.3% interest on a savings account. https://www.gsbank.com

Before anyone says anything, the GSbank can be opened by anyone. Their minimum deposit for opening is extremely low. So, this is something that anyone can do.

Also, I am not a banker, and do not get paid to post this... I just thought people would appreciate the info. It's a pretty good rate, considering most banks only offer .06%.

Reactions: Cartoonkid

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
This is going to absolutely rule for those whose hobby is Manufactured Spending. RULE. A new era.

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Another poster asked this previously, and I haven't seen any responses, nor have I been able to find anything about it online. This is a big question for me, too.

Probably too early in the testing stages for Apple to release that level of detail, but I'm sure they will before the official rollout.

Once the money has been accepted by the receiver, there is no way to cancel.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My issue with stuff like Apple Pay is if you lose your phone, will you be "cash stranded" until you get a new phone? Someone said you could just use credit cards as a backup. However, some proponents tout that never having to carry cash nor credit cards as one of the benefits. At least with a credit card, they replace them for free.

I will acknowledge that if your credit card info gets hacked or stolen, it is more cumbersome to have to redo all automatic payments you've set up using that card, which wouldn't be an issue with Apple Pay.

Valid question. And it might be covered by the connection to iCloud. Your balance could be stored in that information. Which would make the rumored requirement that you have to have 2 step turned on make more sense. I mean if you lose your phone hopefully you immediately black list your sim so your number is cut off so 2 step systems don’t work anymore. Get a new sim when you get your new phone etc. sign in and validate your attempt and there’s your APC balance waiting to go. You might have to validate that account also with your last 4 or whatever.
[doublepost=1508775392][/doublepost]
A SSN is required for a bank account and credit card. I think Apple knows what's required by law.

Actually ‘by law’ a social security number was only ever intended to track your social security accrual and perhaps your tax payments. It was never intended to be a universal ID code.

But yes you are correct that the requirement for that last 4 is actually on the banks and credit card companies not Apple.

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Really?
In over 20 years, never once used cash for any purchase?

I use very little cash, but there are still times and places I have done.
Buying something for £1 from a charity shop, or a car boot/garage sale.

You must be very unusual to have never used ANY cash ever since 1997

Late reply because i didn't see the notification. Of course I've used cash in the past 20 years as necessary. But I absolutely never carry it on me. If I go to a place that's cash only, I first go to a store and buy gum, get just enough cash back for the amount that I need for the real purchase I'm about to make, and then drop the change in whatever tip jar they have there. Of course, that occurs maybe once per year since I just don't go to places that only take cash. Like, there was a bagel place near our old house that my wife liked. I went once, found out that they only take cash, and didn't return for nearly 3 years until they started taking cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.