Apple Extends iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program Until 2016

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently updated its iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program page, as noted by Apfelpage [Google Translate], adding an additional year onto the service. This will allow customers with a malfunctioning iPhone 5 up to three years after purchase date to replace the sleep/wake button on the device.

The service began last April when multiple reports surfaced concerning the iPhone 5's lock button only sporadically working, or ceasing to function altogether. The program allowed customers to enter their iPhone's serial number to confirm its eligibility and subsequently carry-in or mail-in their device to be fixed in 4-6 days.

Image via iFixit

The new extension brings an additional year of coverage onto the service for iPhone 5 users facing faulty sleep/wake buttons. As a few redditors have noted, the service may require replacing more than just the lock button.
I had mine fixed through this program. They changed all the buttons and replaced my battery for free too. Once you get your phone back you can ask the guy at the apple store for the list of parts that were replaced. I think they have to replace a few things in order to get to the button.
The company did the same for its iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program last week, as spotted initially by iPhone in Canada. The program was set to expire on March 1, 2015, "or two years after the first retail sale of the unit." Apple added a third year onto the program, extending the iPhone 5's battery replacement program into 2016 as well.

Article Link: Apple Extends iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program Until 2016

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Wow, i actually never heard of this.. I had some issues with the sleep/wake button (resulting in some pocket dials) and the website says my serial number is eligible.. Definitely thinking about taking it in now..

Downside is: I guess it will take some time to change everything, any real world experiences how long i will have no iphone?:eek: 4-6 days as stated in the article would be okay if it really just took that long

shadowrunnerth

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
At least in Australia, at an Apple Store, they don't repair the phone, they replace it. It takes far less time and you get a brand new phone in about 5 minutes. Just back up the phone before you take it in.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
At least in Australia, at an Apple Store, they don't repair the phone, they replace it. It takes far less time and you get a brand new phone in about 5 minutes. Just back up the phone before you take it in.
DAMN that would be nice! Was really bothered about the button issue until i read this article!

I guess i will take it in, i would even be fine with just a replacement of the button but if they replace it as a whole even better

EDIT: I just read that they even have loaner devices for the time of the repair

shadowrunnerth

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
DAMN that would be nice! Was really bothered about the button issue until i read this article!

I guess i will take it in, i would even be fine with just a replacement of the button but if they replace it as a whole even better

EDIT: I just read that they even have loaner devices for the time of the repair
Take it to an Apple store, if you can. You're more likely to get an on the spot replacement.

To that end, though, my guess is that Apple will replace the phone anyway. To a company that large, it's probably more economical to write the phone off and replace it with a new one than spend the man hours required to fix each one (which is probably an hour per phone, multiply that by say an hour multiplied by however many thousands of units are affected, multiplied by man hours/wages required to replace a 10 cent part, etc etc... it gets expensive pretty quick).

Take it in anyway, but back it up! Also my guess, but if you send it in instead, they'll probably replace it, but do the backup for you.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
My iPhone 5 had the broken sleep wake switch AND a bad battery but this was over a year ago and there was no special program, they said they would replace it for $250.

no thanks.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Wow, i actually never heard of this.. I had some issues with the sleep/wake button (resulting in some pocket dials) and the website says my serial number is eligible.. Definitely thinking about taking it in now..

Downside is: I guess it will take some time to change everything, any real world experiences how long i will have no iphone?:eek: 4-6 days as stated in the article would be okay if it really just took that long
I had my iPhone 5 battery replaced at an Apple store. It took about 45 minutes. It would have been faster, except the technician had other jobs ahead of mine.

Apple repair technicians have the training and tools to do the job right. They aren't limited like the attention-seeking spudger-sellers at places like iFixit.

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Had 2 5's go bad this way. Brought them to an apple store out of warranty and both were fixed within a week (was given 2 16gb "loaners")

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I had my iPhone 5 battery replaced at an Apple store. It took about 45 minutes. It would have been faster, except the technician had other jobs ahead of mine.

Apple repair technicians have the training and tools to do the job right. They aren't limited like the attention-seeking spudger-sellers at places like iFixit.
What are you talking about and why try to slander a great site like iFixit?

Mahserg

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015

I formally managed a store that did 3rd party phone repair and I can say from experience this is not a trivial repair. We charged $80 to replace the Sleep/Wake button on the iPhone 5 because it took a minimum of an hour to do and also involves replacing the mute switch and volume buttons. If it had been my store I would have charged a lot more. I hated this repair more than anything. That mute switch is such a pain to get right. I seriously doubt Apple is doing this repair in store. Batteries? Yeah, those I could do in my sleep. 10 minutes tops.

This was a very common problem on the iPhone 4/4S/5. Something about how this button is made I guess.

Last edited:

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012

I had never heard of this issue either until I went in for another question, then it was brought to my attention once they looked up the serial number. This was about 8 months - 1 year ago. I was given a loaner, and had my phone back within about a week, with problems all solved. This is the first time I've ever seen this program referred to in any official way.

In my case, the button was screwing up maybe twice a week, and I just ignored it until it became to frequent to ignore any longer.

Mahserg

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I had never heard of this issue either until I went in for another question, then it was brought to my attention once they looked up the serial number. This was about 8 months - 1 year ago. I was given a loaner, and had my phone back within about a week, with problems all solved. This is the first time I've ever seen this program referred to in any official way.

In my case, the button was screwing up maybe twice a week, and I just ignored it until it became to frequent to ignore any longer.
Seemed to be a very common issue with teenagers. That and cracked screens. lol

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Germany

Yeah i would have never noticed if i hadn't been member of this site. My button is also not screwing up constantly but at least once a day.. I'm under the impression that when it's cold outside and im out in the city the problem gets worse.

Well i will take it in and have them look at it, since the serial number is as eligible i think there will be no hassle anyway, even if i wouldn't be able to reproduce the problem in store

(true story: i had to call 911 when passing an accident one day, and the next day my iphone accidentally redialed in my pocket -.- luckily the operator thought it was funny)

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012

Battery replacement is only supposed to be an hour so maybe it won't be that long.

VO2Max

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
My sleep/wake button is functioning fine and has been since I got the phone on launch day. However, my volume down button no longer works (has clicking action though) and I have splotches and several purple dots on my camera lens. I typed my serial number in and it is eligibe for the replacement. Wondering if I should take it in since it looks like they will replace the cable, which may fix my volume down button issue at the very least.

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
I was not aware of this program and started having issues with that button, brought it to the apple store in Tokyo over the holidays, and they simply replaced the whole phone ... what amazed me was that they had a 64GB iPhone 5 unlocked at hand (the 64GB not being sold anymore and Japan only recently offering unlocked iPhone 6 models)..

Good to know that if it happens again, I might still have another chance :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My wife had her button go out and it was no longer under warranty. Saw this article and we took it in today. The genius didn't realize Apple had extended the warranty program and is having it shipped out (1 week) and gave her a loaner in the meantime. This is the longest I've spent at an Apple Store. It took about an hour to do the diagnostic and get her loaner. The good news is that they replace anything wrong with it while it's being repaired for free (according to the Genius).

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
So i just came home from the apple store, really annoying experience. The "genius" tried to reproduce the button not working properly and after clicking it several times he really was able to see that it did not respond properly.

However he said he hat do do a diagnose on it and when he returned he said that the button now was working just fine and that it was not "broken enough" for him to do anything although the serial number qualified for repair. He said that i should wait until it completely stops working and then come back. :eek:

VO2Max

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
The good news is that they replace anything wrong with it while it's being repaired for free (according to the Genius).
That's nice to know. My serial number says I'm eligible for the repair, however my sleep/wake button works fine and never had any problems with it. I really need my camera and volume down button fixed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So i just came home from the apple store, really annoying experience. The "genius" tried to reproduce the button not working properly and after clicking it several times he really was able to see that it did not respond properly.

However he said he hat do do a diagnose on it and when he returned he said that the button now was working just fine and that it was not "broken enough" for him to do anything although the serial number qualified for repair. He said that i should wait until it completely stops working and then come back. :eek:
Sounds like you need to try another "genius" or another Apple Store if that's an option for you.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Sounds like you need to try another "genius" or another Apple Store if that's an option for you.
Yeah thats what i thought immediately, but he told me that this was standard procedure with all apple stores and threatened that if i chose to mail it to the service partner they would just send it back unrepaired :confused:

Don't know what to do, i mean the issue really is not that frequent so there is always the risk that it works just fine in store.. On my way home it didn't work for another half an hour and now it is again just working fine

But i mean telling me to wait until it works even less is just a joke isn't it ?!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah thats what i thought immediately, but he told me that this was standard procedure with all apple stores and threatened that if i chose to mail it to the service partner they would just send it back unrepaired :confused:

Don't know what to do, i mean the issue really is not that frequent so there is always the risk that it works just fine in store.. On my way home it didn't work for another half an hour and now it is again just working fine
The "recall" doesn't say the button has to be non-functional, just that you are having issues with it. The employee was wrong so just ignore and try again and escalate to manager if needed.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
The "recall" doesn't say the button has to be non-functional, just that you are having issues with it. The employee was wrong so just ignore and try again and escalate to manager if needed.
Well actually the support page where you type in your serial says that there is no need to take any steps if your serial number is affected but the button is fully functional. But as a matter of fact mine isn't, i just can't prove that to the "genius" since it is a intermittent issue.

Don't know what his problem was, probably annoyed by thousands of daily fanboys trying to get a replacement for non existent flaws on their phones :confused:

Probably will think about going to another store or trying it again there and ask for a manager