Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today emailed customers who have purchased a standard AppleCare plan for their Apple TV devices to let them know that coverage has been extended from two years to three years.

applecare-apple-tv.jpg

Customers who purchased AppleCare for the Apple TV will be now receiving a total of three years of coverage based on the date that they original bought the plan. AppleCare for Apple TV end dates will be automatically adjusted.

In the emails, Apple does not specify why it is extending the Apple TV AppleCare plans, but it is likely because of the transition to AppleCare+ for Apple TV, which Apple made available alongside the launch of the second-generation Apple TV 4K.

apple-care-apple-tv.jpg

AppleCare+ for Apple TV provides three years of protection along with coverage for two incidents of accidental damage. The existing AppleCare plans that are being extended do not include accidental damage coverage.

AppleCare+ for Apple TV is priced at $29, with a monthly purchase option also available.

(Thanks, Mark and Ryan!)

Article Link: Apple Extends Standard AppleCare Plans for Apple TV From Two Years to Three

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Like others I question the need for AppleCare on a device that doesn’t move and in many cases sits in a TV console?

My phone I can drop while using it, but save for the remote, I shouldn’t be constantly picking up my AppleTV.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Like others I question the need for AppleCare on a device that doesn’t move and in many cases sits in a TV console?

My phone I can drop while using it, but save for the remote, I shouldn’t be constantly picking up my AppleTV.
I agree with you except that numerous 1st gen HomePod owners have reported hardware failures. This device also sits on a table or shelf and doesn’t move. AppleCare+ is $40 a HomePod OOW replacement is $279.

I’ll pay $40.

But for the cost of Apple TV, I’d probably risk it just like how I don’t have AC+ on a $99 HomePod mini.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

Good point.
I’m typically not a protection plan kind of guy. But for my handhelds and mobile devices, I opt fior AC+. Desktops or ATVs, nope.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA

I've learned the hard way that powering off the Apple TV while it's updating is a good way to break it.
Still not worth, though. Insurance is for accidents I can't afford, otherwise just a waste of money.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
If you could install it in your car I could see where AppleCare might make sense. Im sure it would exclude heat damage though. Seems like they just like selling things people will hardly ever use. Easy money.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think it is to help persuade customers to feel comfortable buying Apple. It is also easy profit.

Agreed.

It's guaranteed income for Apple, and whether it's 2 or 3 years, the device isn't likely to break.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

The fan added in the 4K models introduces a new point of failure. After owning every Apple TV model the 4K is the first one to break on me.

Reactions: wanha

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Unless they let us download media to the Apple TV for travel/offline streaming (i.e. Netflix shows, HBO shows, etc for when traveling to places with poor internet)... I will not need AppleCare on my stationary Apple TV devices.
You don’t even need an Apple TV for that. I carry an HDMI dongle in my bag that I use for playing certain films that are downloaded to my iPad when I’m hosting small gatherings in hotel rooms. I imagine anyone else who’s serious about accesing their content already owns the necessary cables or dongles they need for when they’re traveling.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
You don’t even need an Apple TV for that. I carry an HDMI dongle in my bag that I use for playing certain films that are downloaded to my iPad when I’m hosting small gatherings in hotel rooms. I imagine anyone else who’s serious about accesing their content already owns the necessary cables or dongles they need for when they’re traveling.
I guess I should get a USB-C to HDMI for my iPad Pro. Probably the easiest solution.

Reactions: canned_tuna_og

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Received mine - funny I created a thread on this before the article was posted.

Yes it’s a stationary device but my third generation died - got it replaced under AppleCare, no questions asked.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I guess I should get a USB-C to HDMI for my iPad Pro. Probably the easiest solution.
Yep. I was originally going to get an HDMI to USB-C cable but then I realized almost every single hotel these days has an HDMI cable attached to their TVs so I opted for a dongle/adapter instead which is more travel friendly.

Reactions: countryside

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
sounds like a legal maneuver. like they advertised it as a "2-year protection" plan, but in reality, it only added 1 year to the free base year warranty. did the Europeans go after them on that?

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I was pleasantly surprised by their email about this today too. Really hope this is a trend for all their products. Pretty sure they can afford it, and it would be something that might attract more business.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

I have bricked a few of the Apple TV devices without Applecare. Usually during an update, or reset and update. Only to find out that without AppleCare at that. The only thing I could do at the time. Was buy a new one at their discounted price. The AppleCare is worth it. Just for that piece of mind alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.