Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fncd

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2020
Like others I question the need for AppleCare on a device that doesn’t move and in many cases sits in a TV console?

My phone I can drop while using it, but save for the remote, I shouldn’t be constantly picking up my AppleTV.
I would generally agree with you, except in the situation a friend found themselves in. When TvOS 13.5 (I believe it was) was released, it bricked his AppleTV 4K. He set up an appointment with Apple, we went to the store, and their response was “we can see that it’s a software update issue, but we don’t cover that under warranty.”

Eventually they acquiesced and made an “exception” when he questioned the policy of not covering software updates that they push out, when the hardware explicitly said on the screen “please try installing the update again” and pointing to a link on Apple.com.

Reactions: Icaras

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I have bricked a few of the Apple TV devices without Applecare. Usually during an update, or reset and update. Only to find out that without AppleCare at that. The only thing I could do at the time. Was buy a new one at their discounted price. The AppleCare is worth it. Just for that piece of mind alone.

There’s always these few. Lol. Apple loves em.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I thought AppleCare + for Apple TV is new, so they change the plan right after its introduction?

Am I missing something? What is a Standard Apple Care plan? ( Other than the original warranty )

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just more up selling tactic. Normally, who would buy Applecare for their AppleTV? It's stationary and cheap enough to just buy a new one if needed. It's not $1000+ like iPhone or Macs. Thus making it 3 years might entice some people into thinking "oh well, why not."

It's only newsworthy if Apple made the iPhone Applecare to 3 years.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Someone please tell me the benefit of owning an Apple TV box?
What can it do that an ROKU Soundbar 2.0 which is what I own do?
ROKU has an Apple TV APP
both do 4k
both have voice command
Neither let you record or DVR. Think?
you can stream audio and video to both.

So whats So HOT about owning an Apple TV over ROKU.
I tried the Amazon Fire offerings and they kinda SUCK over ROKU.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Someone please tell me the benefit of owning an Apple TV box?
So whats So HOT about owning an Apple TV over ROKU.
The power of the HW would be a strong selling point, but only if you are into gaming, as that power is wasted for just streaming.

I personally think the tvOS UI is much better than Roku's UI.

You can use the Apple TV as a Homekit hub.

If one doesn't game, doesn't need Homekit stuff, and doesn't care for the tvOS UI, then it might not be worth it to spend the extra amount for an Apple TV.

The power of the ATV is nice, but probably wasted for most. Actually, the A10X in the original ATV4K, even at almost four years old, is still more powerful than any of the current competitor streaming boxes. But again, maybe an unnecessary benefit for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.