Apple face shareholder revolt

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MOFS, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

BIG news from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12549527

It appears the Central Laborers’ Pension Fund of Jackson, Illinois which holds nearly 11,500 Apple shares worth around $4mm, has asked for clarity over who would succeed jobs. From the BBC's bloggers:

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'd have thought the succession plan was pretty obvious, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to make it public.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think Apple disagrees with you.
    The fact that they are very unwilling/cagey to make such a succession plan public shows that Apple's Board of Directors feel it would hurt.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Apple should just buy all the shares back and tell the Central Labourers Pension Fund to sod off...

5. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I like this approach! :p

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is a non-story. I voted with the board on this. You don't publicize your CEO succession plans.

I'm pretty happy with how Jobs, his team and the board have managed their business. My AAPL is up 2,925.95% since I bought it.

7. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

As long as Apple has plans, I'm fine with keeping them secret.

8. GadgetGav macrumors member

Not really BIG news at a time when hundreds are being killed in various Middle Eastern countries.
    Jobs isn't dead or even gone from the company. What other company would be expected to publicize CEO succession plans before they were needed? I wonder if this pension plan pays as much attention to their other holding's CEO succession?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This. If they have kept and keep the same rhythm they've had for all these years, I could care less if it's Caligula's horse being appointed as next CEO.

10. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

There is no succession plan only zuul ...

Due to Jobs pact with dark forces to make apple the brand it is today he will never die, although they do have take him out of the public eye periodically to renew his pact with the dark forces and perform the ritual sacrifice of executives from the companies apple has acquired recently.

11. ehoui macrumors regular

I see your BBC article and raise you a funnier one...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8458880.stm

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think apple need to state the plans if it wants to protect it's share prices in the future. Reason being is way to much of apple's face is Steve Jobs. One thing I would not want to be holding onto when Steve Jobs dies is AALP stock because it will take a massive nose dive for a while. If plans are put out there it would reduce the fear when it happens some what.

Let's face some facts SJ health is clearly not good and it is never going to be great again. The unspecifided medical leave does not sound good at all.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I nominate you as the new company spokesperson.:D

Agreed. There is no obligation for Apple to publicize this information.

I hear it was an outstanding Consul.:D

14. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

We can all play this game about whether any news is big, and certainly the Middle East news is big in world politics. For an Apple Mac - oriented website however this is pretty big news, especially considering Steve's original ousting from the helm, and the fears many people have regarding Apple becoming "just another computer company". Look at Google: for all their kookiness with their building, they are now the de facto replacement for Microsoft as Apple's rivals because they lack that human touch that Jobs purportedly brings.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Press Release:

:D;)

16. G33kTech macrumors newbie

Ok I dont get all of these predictions of apples stock dropping. Every-time I hear some guy in a fancy suite on TV making predictions about how apple's stock is going to drop I laugh. Apple does not make money because of steve jobs. Apple makes money because they have developed a VERY good software and hardware model that provides media to the media hungry sheeple, and they make it easy.

Apple makes tech easy and good looking, so you dont have to be a geek to use it. This is why so many people buy apples ****! because 90% of the population are not geeks and they suck at using technology. Apple makes it easy for them AND they make it cool AND they have been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction in there field for over 8 years now.

You think papa Joe and mama Sue arnt going to buy the latest ipod for grand daughter jenny because Steve Jobs is no longer the CEO? I highly Fu****** doubt it, Jenny is getting the iPod/iPad/iGizmo for her birthday whether Steve is alive or not.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well there is multiple things I can sight to why I believe AAPL will take a massive noise time in terms of share price on SJ death.
    Look at every time he took medical leave the stock dropped quickly. Last time 5% in a single day. On his health concerns during the liver it took a pretty big drop.

So on his death own AAPL not a good idea. Few weeks later good idea to buy after the drop hits as it will go back up but sure as hell would not want to be holding onto it at his death.

18. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    This.

Why does Apple need to make these plans public? I fail to see what the Pension Fund will gain by this being public. Obviously they are too lazy to go to a couple tech websites and read up on the numerous articles on this issue.

The fact that Steve Jobs' health is not good is irrelevant. People act as if he is immortal. He is a human being and will die just like any other human or CEO for that matter. Apple is larger than Jobs.

19. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

All of those things you posted correlate to Steve Jobs influence on Apple's product design as well as his aptitude at making business decisions. Everything from what markets to pursue to what products to cut to design minimalism to that stoplight at the top of iTunes comes from Jobs. Obviously the CEO matters. Look at Microsoft under Ballmer. Look at Apple under Sculley.

All it takes is one successor who makes a few really dumb decisions to derail Apple's momentum and reverse shareholder return. In the case of Apple, since Jobs also atypically acts as a gatekeeper to design, that next CEO also has to be able to do that or there will be a vacuum.

Since Jobs doesn't look to good, I'd be worried if I was expecting my ROI to go up.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Some revolt.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And that is why they need to get the plan out. Way to many act that way and believe Apple will fail with out him.
    If Apple wants to protect its stock prices from a very huge nose dive they would want to do it. It will be a bad nose dive no matter how they cut it but at least this way it better.

If anything Apple needs to lay down plans to start phasing Jobs out as CEO. The worse thing for Apple as a company and stock is Jobs to die while he is CEO. I have a feeling only way he will leave Apple is in a coffin.

22. rdowns, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I disagree. Those that need to know about their plans know. To think they don't have a plan is naive. The market has handled each of his leaves with surprising calm.

Despite all the market turmoil over Libya, AAPL is up about $4.00 today.

23. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Meh. There's nothing inherently wrong about having more interest in Apple news than that of a bunch of unknown people on the other side of the planet.