Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Faces Another Class-Action MacBook Pro ‘Flexgate’ Lawsuit

Wildkraut

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
No, Apple totally deserves to get sued for flexgate.

I have 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro affected by this design flaw. The computer was babied and used mostly as a desktop. And just randomly out of the blue, patches of dark spots along the bottom of the screen that I have to shell out $850 to get repaired.
And you forgot to mention the “wonderful” Keyboard... Sadly Germany sucks at this, and does not have Class-Action Lawsuit.

Comment

Souponastick270

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
Citadel Island
What would you replace it with?

I don't know, why not just call it what it is, a lawsuit into the flexible ribbon cables ? Not everything needs buzz words for it. Just feels over done.

Antennagate
Batterygate
Screengate
Bendgate

And those are just the examples off the top of my head within the Apple world....

Reactions: XXPP
Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I don't know, why not just call it what it is, a lawsuit into the flexible ribbon cables ? Not everything needs buzz words for it. Just feels over done.

Antennagate
Batterygate
Screengate
Bendgate

And those are just the examples off the top of my head within the Apple world....

Makes me wonder what buzzword it would be had Watergate never happened.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki
Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
"Plaintiffs are seeking a range of relief measures, damages, and court fees. " Court fees are the 1/3 of the settlement that goes to the legal team. This is a money grab by lawyers and a few patsy named defendants.

The rest of the customers will get a few pennies.

Comment

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
More lawsuits for Apple! When is it going to stop?

Nothing easier:
Apple may improve the quality management and provide – more open and clear – guarantee repair to customers who paid heavily for high quality standard and are often pushed and punished by Apple especially with bad Mac Book Laptops over the last 5 years :) :apple:

Do you remember all failures? :rolleyes:

But for the sake:
Jony Ive has gone far away! 😂👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Man
Comment

MikeH0nch0

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Display on my 13in 2017 pro had a similar issue. Screen randomly went out but backlight still functioned. Had to pay $500 out of pocket for the repair... ridiculous considering the above and that my machine obviously had no damage.

Comment

alex2792

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
I’m having this issue with my 2019 MBP, backlight died less than a month after warranty expired. Apple agreed to repair it for free after I raised a stink with the manager.

Comment

rgbrock1

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2016
SC

Antennagate
Batterygate
Screengate
Bendgate

You forgot one: Staingate. :)

Reactions: diego.caraballo
Comment

IIGS User

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Personally had an issue with this on a 2016 15” MBP... even clearly remember being told by a ‘Genius’ in the store that it wasn’t possible for the issue to occur on 15” devices as the program only covered 13”. He was actually pretty rude and claimed it was likely to water damage

SOB's got me less than a month after the warranty was up. Both the manager at the Apple store and the "Genius" were real jerks about the whole process. They got a decent chunk of change out of me for the repair, and in the process, turned a evangelist for the brand into a cautious hanger on.

I can't tell you how many times I heard "Well, if you had just bought AppleCare".

I won't buy ANYTHING at the Apple store unless it's on my Amex, which doubles the warranty. I don't WANT AppleCare because I don't need someone to hold my hand to make my shiet work. I just want the premium priced product I'm buying to work past the warranty date!

Comment

alex2792

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
SOB's got me less than a month after the warranty was up. Both the manager at the Apple store and the "Genius" were real jerks about the whole process. They got a decent chunk of change out of me for the repair, and in the process, turned a evangelist for the brand into a cautious hanger on.

I can't tell you how many times I heard "Well, if you had just bought AppleCare".

I won't buy ANYTHING at the Apple store unless it's on my Amex, which doubles the warranty. I don't WANT AppleCare because I don't need someone to hold my hand to make my shiet work. I just want the premium priced product I'm buying to work past the warranty date!

Seriously, buying AppleCare increases the price by like 30%. An $1500 laptop that becomes disposable the day the manufacturer warranty is up isn’t very premium in my book.If that’s Apple’s proposition then you may as well get a faster PC for half the price.

Comment

Picard J.L.

Suspended
Mar 27, 2020
I think the biggest issue is just how high the out of warranty repair fees are. If the repair was say, $50-100 then I genuinely don't think many people would be too miffed about it, but $850 is outrageous.

The cynical part of me has to suspect that Apple deliberately pushes their out of warranty repair fees sky-high to encourage people to simply buy a new device rather than repairing theirs. I have found when going to the genius bar before that I've been encouraged to consider just buying a new device instead of repairing the one I have.
There is a problem here. You keep using the word REPAIR incorrectly. Apple does not repair anything. They replace faulty motherboard or display assembly with a working one. Repair would involve someone spending time isolating the issue and replacing a faulty COMPONENT and not the whole damn thing.

Comment

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I've never been a big fan of class action lawsuits in general. Usually does amount to someone just looking for some small thing to nit-pick that they can get some legal traction out of to make a company pay out a claim. (You know ... like the lawsuit a while back over a cellphone company applying the wrong local tax rates on accounts, which amounted to maybe 15 cents people got over-charged on bills?)

But Apple, IMO, deserves this one, and any others related to some of their products with design flaws. They have a LONG standing habit of only grouping a small subset of hardware in as eligible for "out of warranty repair" for these known issues when they come up. I've seen them do that for many years ... A product will have an issue for 2-3 years of production and after Apple gets enough bad press, they claim they'll start covering it out of warranty, but specify a narrow range of qualifying serial numbers that excludes everything but the first year's production run or so.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
The amount of legal stuff hitting Apple recently is quite a bit intense, at least, those reported on macrumors.

While we are at it, can someone start another class action lawsuit against Apple manufacturing iPad Pro 2018 causing the screen to flicker randomly? /s

Seriously though, the whole management team must change their mind and take care about device longevity instead of fiercely seeking for unlimited profit. When will apple’s growth Lines up with reality? Or apple sheep’s purchasing power is unlimited?

Comment

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
The only laptop manufacturer that has defects that cover both opening and closing the lid.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
There is a problem here. You keep using the word REPAIR incorrectly. Apple does not repair anything. They replace faulty motherboard or display assembly with a working one. Repair would involve someone spending time isolating the issue and replacing a faulty COMPONENT and not the whole damn thing.
Ok, they may replace the whole motherboard. But from device perspective they are still trying to “repair”, by replacing components (motherboard, display etc). Apple is not just throw you a refurbished or brand new MacBook Pro each time some defects happen, unlike they deal with iPhone iPad etc.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Apple is turning into a fashion brand name. It costs 10x more just because it has "Apple" written on it. I don't mind paying $3000 for an Apple laptop if it comes in the quality of Sony electronics from the 90s, but when I pay $3k and get malfunctioning keys, green spots, faulty GPUs.... guess what I didn't pay $3K to take a picture holding it for my Instagram followers...I paid it to get high quality reliable laptop. You can get Dells and Acers for $600

Reactions: JagRunner
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.