Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Faces Another Class-Action MacBook Pro ‘Flexgate’ Lawsuit

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
I actually got my 2016 MBP 13" display entirely replaced for free by an AASP. On top of that I got the keyboard replaced as well under the Keyboard Replacement Program which automatically means that you'll get a brand new free new battery as well as a new touch bar. So all in all, the only thing that isn't new is the logic board, the bottom aluminium casing and possibly the trackpad.

Comment

Rohit Kanojia

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
Bangalore
I actually got my 2016 MBP 13" display entirely replaced for free by an AASP. On top of that I got the keyboard replaced as well under the Keyboard Replacement Program which automatically means that you'll get a brand new free new battery as well as a new touch bar. So all in all, the only thing that isn't new is the logic board, the bottom aluminium casing and possibly the trackpad.
My is changed 3 times keyboard and 2 time display 15 inch model but after 3 year warranty over, guess what display again failed.

Comment

cicalinarrot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
The number of people defending Apple on this without even knowing the situation is ridiculous.
The situation is this, they've made a fragile product that breaks with regular use and don't want to take responsibility for it.
I really hope this happens to you people with your next $3K purchase. Then we'll see if you'll defend the manufacturer.

This site used to be populated for the 99% by rational people who love Apple's unique products but hate their strategies to fool their own customers. Now, apparently, it's 99% 17 years old Apple fanboys, straight from a Youtube comments section. Start using your brains, please. A company that makes some really good products, may also be unfair, mean or even purely evil. The two things are not directly correlated in any way.

Reactions: PrincePoppycock
Comment

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
My is changed 3 times keyboard and 2 time display 15 inch model but after 3 year warranty over, guess what display again failed.
3 times? I've used my laptop very heavily ever since I bought it. Not sure how you managed to have your display replaced 3 times? You probably opened and closed the lid a lot then.

Comment

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
More lawsuits for Apple! When is it going to stop?
When Apple runs out of money. That is, never. To be fair, Apple products are pretty good and the profits do prove it, but there is an ongoing problem with compromising durability for aesthetics without following through with care guides and planning ahead for the inevitable failures and being open about how to deal with them. It's not a good look to be dragged through the courts time and time again when Apple probably can afford to just say up front "we know this part will sometimes break in the more extreme but otherwise normal usage situation, we will fix it once and warn the owner and after that it's an insurance / pay it yourself situation". Apple could also just make things that are strong enough to use in the real world, much as they did in, say, 2014.

Reactions: Northern Man
Comment

Rohit Kanojia

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
Bangalore
3 times? I've used my laptop very heavily ever since I bought it. Not sure how you managed to have your display replaced 3 times? You probably opened and closed the lid a lot then.
Nope first year I hardly used 2 months, even in 3 year not used heavily. But when started used for video editing it display failed again.

Comment

Brighton Billy

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2020
Whats it gonna take for Apple to fix the issue where light leaks through the rubber gasket along the edge of the screen ? Never seen one that didn't have that issue. Dark room, dark image on screen, high brightness, look along the edge of the screen and there are spots where the light leaks out. Doesn't even happen on a $400 Acer.

Reactions: Rohit Kanojia
Comment

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
Another day, another lawsuit. When will these money-grabbing fiends stop?

Perhaps when Apple goes back to making decent hardware.

2017 MBP failures I've had so far:
- USB failure
- key caps falling off the keyboard
- screen failure (backlight)
- flashing white rectangle on the touch bar
- black coating peeling off the keys

Compared to the failures I've had with my 2011 MBA:
- the battery is dying (again)

The name Apple once stood for quality hardware, now it stands for "how can we get more money by spending less"

Comment

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Another day, another lawsuit. When will these money-grabbing fiends stop?

This is a genuine issue. See the YouTube videos, you will know how badly they designed it. The flex cable passes unprotected over a sharp edge of a circuit board and gets pulled and rubbed over that sharp edge every time you open the MacBook. The issue doesn't end there. That flex cable is a socket-joint on the mainboard which can be unplugged easily, but the other end is not. The other end of the flex cable passes under-side of the lcd assembly, all the way to camera modules etc. That entire thing is a single cable. Which means, if anything happens to the cable, you have to replace the entire top panel with the screen and camera, everything. And that's the reason its so expensive to repair. And that's the reason, even after me getting a good deal on the 2016-17 model in the used market, I avoided it.

So this lawsuit is lawful.

Now I wouldn't blame Apple whole heartedly as such, because if they new they wouldn't have done it, someone down in the chain messed up and okay'd the design. That person, sure needs to be fired.

Reactions: rajeevpuri
Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
"Apple seemingly fixed the issue by extending the length of the flex cable by 2mm in the 2018 ‌MacBook Pro‌"

interesting... Apple extends the flex cable longer in Macbook Pros than MBA's to 'fix' the issue? What's different.? Did Apple provide a shorter flex cable than other Mac laptops? And why would they?

Comment

snowmusicman

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
My 2017 15" MBP developed this problem. I'm still waiting for a repair program to come up, especially after I learned about the 13" program... very unfair to say the least.

Comment

seang7

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012

Another class-action complaint has been lodged against Apple, which claims that the company was aware of a MacBook Pro design flaw that caused some devices to have backlight display issues (via Apple Insider).

The so-called "flexgate" problem was present in some MacBook Pro models manufactured between 2016 and 2017. The problem appears as dark patches along the bottom of the MacBook Pro's display. Some users reported that opening their MacBook Pro beyond a certain angle turns off the screen entirely. iFixit discovered that this was because the delicate flex cable which connects to the bottom of the display could wear out and break over time.

The issue has been the subject of multiple lawsuits against Apple, with the last one being filed in May. Since the issue often takes time to manifest, the affected ‌MacBook Pro‌ units can be outside of Apple's one-year warranty period when they start exhibiting symptoms, resulting in an out-of-warranty repair fee of up to $850.

Apple seemingly fixed the issue by extending the length of the flex cable by 2mm in the 2018 MacBook Pro. It also launched a free repair program in May 2019, but the program only applies to 13-inch MacBook Pro models released in 2016.

The first class action lawsuit sought restitution for all costs attributable to repairing or replacing the affected MacBook Pro units, and called for Apple to expand its repair program to cover the 15-inch MacBook Pro. The proposed class was defined as all persons within the United States who purchased a 2016 or newer MacBook Pro.

The second class-action complaint argues for violation of competition, false advertising, and consumer fraud laws. Apple is also accused of violation of the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and breach of express and implied warranty, in addition to fraudulent concealment and unjust enrichment.

Plaintiffs are seeking a range of relief measures, damages, and court fees. They also hope a judgment will compel Apple to identify and declare all defective MacBook Pros. As there are now two cases against Apple due to "flexgate," both of which are filed with the Northern District of California, it is likely that the cases will eventually be consolidated into one.

Article Link: Apple Faces Another Class-Action MacBook Pro 'Flexgate' Lawsuit
I had the same issue with my 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro ... the stage light effect ... I took it to Apple .. this was prior to them acknowledging it at all. At the time they were unwilling to do anything. I decided to see what it was worth as a trade in to get a MacBook Air. It was worth $900 and I needed a computer so I traded it in. About 6 months later they started making repairs. My MacBook Air didn't cost that much with the credit for trade. But now the fan motor is going on alot especially during Zoom calls. So, I'm torn. I don't want another MacBook Pro Touch Bar. I truly hated the Touch Bar. It's a waste of space on my keyboard. Considering for the first time in almost 15 years getting a Windows computer, Razer. So annoyed, but I needed something to be able to handle video calls. And MacBook Pro still scares me with the stage light effect and Apple knowing about defects and not be forthright about them and fixing them. Instead they keep hiding them. When Jobs was CEO the quality control was a million times better!!

Reactions: bhmm
Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
When Apple runs out of money. That is, never. To be fair, Apple products are pretty good and the profits do prove it, but there is an ongoing problem with compromising durability for aesthetics without following through with care guides and planning ahead for the inevitable failures and being open about how to deal with them. It's not a good look to be dragged through the courts time and time again when Apple probably can afford to just say up front "we know this part will sometimes break in the more extreme but otherwise normal usage situation, we will fix it once and warn the owner and after that it's an insurance / pay it yourself situation". Apple could also just make things that are strong enough to use in the real world, much as they did in, say, 2014.

Profits do not necessarily equate to a quality product! It only illustrates that they are doing well at marketing products that are poorly designed and too fragile to actual use!

But I agree that they should fix it and then offer insurance… Regarding insurance, I couldn't get them to sell me AppleCare+ on a product received as a gift, still in an unopened sealed box because it passed their 90 day mark! rrrr

Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
SOB's got me less than a month after the warranty was up. Both the manager at the Apple store and the "Genius" were real jerks about the whole process. They got a decent chunk of change out of me for the repair, and in the process, turned a evangelist for the brand into a cautious hanger on.

I can't tell you how many times I heard "Well, if you had just bought AppleCare".

I won't buy ANYTHING at the Apple store unless it's on my Amex, which doubles the warranty. I don't WANT AppleCare because I don't need someone to hold my hand to make my shiet work. I just want the premium priced product I'm buying to work past the warranty date!

And the limited time period (90 days) to buy Apple Care + needs to be extended through their warranty period too imho!!!

Comment

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I've had so many Apple laptops with strange display issues-- my 140, my 3400c, my G3-500.

Comment

TiggrToo

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
And the limited time period (90 days) to buy Apple Care + needs to be extended through their warranty period too imho!!!

It's now a full year...

Earlier this week, Apple changed its AppleCare+ policies in the United States and Canada to give customers up to a year to purchase AppleCare after buying a device, and MacRumors has now learned additional information about the program that may be useful to those who want to know their AppleCare+ options.

AppleCare+ can now be added to a device up to one year from purchase, and this applies to iPhones, iPads, Macs, iPods, HomePods, Beats (minus urBeats3 and Pill+), AirPods, AirPods Pro, Apple Watches, and the Pro Display XDR. Basically all devices that offer AppleCare+, with the exception of the Apple TV, which already offers a one-year standard AppleCare purchase plan option.

For up to 60 days after the date of purchase of a device, AppleCare+ can be purchased using the Settings section of the iPad, iPhone, or iPod, via the Apple Support app, the Apple Support site, or Checkcoverage.Apple.Com for Apple Watch, HomePod, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Mac. It can also be purchased through a contact center or an Apple retail store.

After 60 days has passed (and before 365 days), AppleCare+ can be purchased by taking a device to an Apple retail location with a Genius Bar appointment for an inspection, which is required to get coverage after the 60 day mark. If a device has any accidental damage during the inspection, it needs to be repaired before AppleCare+ can be purchased.

Extended purchase options apply when paying for AppleCare+ in full up front or when purchasing the AppleCare+ monthly subscription plan. The AppleCare+ timer starts from the date of purchase of the coverage.

The 365 day AppleCare+ purchase option only applies to standard AppleCare+, however, and not Apple's AppleCare+ Theft and Loss plan for the iPhone. That can only be purchased for up to 60 days after you buy a device.

With the new AppleCare+ purchase options, customers can take advantage of their one-year automatic device purchase warranty and then as that warranty comes to an end, choose whether to extend the warranty with AppleCare+. Note, though, that the standard warranty does not cover accidental damage incidents. AppleCare+ covers accidental damage and allows customers to get their devices repaired or replaced for a deductible fee that varies based on product.

Article Link: Apple's Extended One-Year AppleCare+ Option Available for All Devices, Works With Subscriptions

Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
It's now a full year...

AppleCare was a year - but not AppleCare+ (if so, that was changed in the interim, as I was repeatedly denied it on the basis that it was over 90 days at the point - as I was trying to get it added for a gifted laptop still in a sealed unopened box with all necessary identification and receipts.) :(
If it's changed back to a year now, it just goes to show, how I continue to get cheated from Apple's awful corporate treatment to it's customers…
Honestly, I hope more people start realizing that this is no longer the same Apple company founded by Jobs that valued quality and designing useable devices that hold up to time; instead, it seems to have turned into a greedy corporation with no idea of designing quality products nor standing behind their over priced products (imho)… it's one thing to overpay for something if the company is going to make good on it for the customer, but that's obviously so not the case these days with Apple. They don't want to back their products anymore and they refuse to work with those that have continued and expected Jobs prior company philosophy to make good on any flawed Apple product. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: TiggrToo
Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
Yep, definitely do!!! Apple is dying a slow death; although they do not yet realize how ill they are … while their stocks may not show how ill as of yet (similar to the stock market that is also in it's own separate world and apparently in denial of the serious economic situation this country is in) …

At some point, the Apple zombie cult has to see the proverbial light and realize that they are throwing their money away… or if the zombies are lucky enough to be wealthy - yet even more so - foolish enough - to keep spending money on older, inferior technology - so be it - I don't have that disposable income to keep throwing money out the proverbial window - Apple's had issues for years now without Jobs at the helm…. Their quality has spiraled downward - and taken along with it any left over true value Apple had stockpiled as well …
when Jobs was involved, the company stood behind its products, his philosophy being that people would be willing to pay for quality products. And initially they were producing quality products, so when their was a flawed product they stood behind it and made it right by the customer! Now what do they do when they know they have flawed products? Instead of making good on those inferior products, they do everything but that!

So yep, totally need some wine to celebrate seeing the light and not getting burnt yet again by purchasing another Apple laptop/iPad! Ty very much but I am going back to using other corporate tech systems (currently Microsoft and Dell) and by doing so, I will spend significantly less to get decent, modern, not outdated technology - for a fraction of the cost!!!

My dated 2012 MBA barely runs, the trackpad died, the USB ports are failing and I'm tired of the spinning wheel because it has always lacked RAM and storage (plus I'm not even using Chrome - it gets bottlenecked with Safari and minimal apps running simultaneously!)

And same went for the 2017 entry level MBP with twice the RAM but still only 128 GB hard drive that was undersized for a MBA in 2012, but still found on a MB PRO 8 years later- the display isn't working any longer and it isn't working with an external display either! So it's worthless and just a pricy Apple paperweight now!

Both MacBooks are undersized for practically anyone today that uses their laptop for anything more than checking emails!

So once my MBA bites the dust it will most likely be the last Apple product I buy for a long time… oh, then there is the iPad Pro I bought which has had nothing but issues with the touch screen display too! So yep, had enough of the Apple BS and walking away and talking with my pocket book -

and... I hope others continue to do so as well, because I know I'm tired of paying the inflated Apple prices/taxes and having them not back their overpriced and very flawed products!!!

Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
Sorry, I didn't drink the Koolaid TiggrT00!
You can stay within the Apple echochamber; but I choose not too - especially since I can get better technology for significantly less that will actually be useable since I am not partial to just one OS that just doesn't cut it for the money that was spent on it!!!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TiggrToo
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.