Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
What sucks is, I’ll bet apple never intended for it to be this way. Seems like they were actually trying to prolong the device usage and help folks with old batteries still be able to use the device. Some engineers didn’t think about legal stuff of the court of public opinion. Hope they were fired.
That comment overall makes some sense, but is just mean spirited. I believe It was done in the in the interest of making the phone more stable...a good intention. Maybe it should have been mentioned up front. Engineers don't necessarily think of the legal issues...that's not their job, they are engineers. That is what the legal and PR teams are there for. Wanting them fired for that is just nasty....what if you were fired because you did something that you thought was correct and it was not checked by the next link in the chain of command before going to a customer?

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Now THIS is the lawsuit I've been waiting for. I hope this happens in America too. Apple crippled my iPhone 5s with IOS 11, which led to me selling it dirt cheap. If not for Apple's "stopping signing an OS", I would probably still have that iPhone, even if just as a backup and all those free games I had would still work. Bad Apple. I hope they lose this one as it really does benefit consumers.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Then that update should not be available if it will severely impact a device. I had a few year back an iPad that basically became useless after an iOS update, and there was no way to go back to previous version where it actually worked fine.

I completely agree with this. My mother had the first iPad Mini. It was perfect for her. She is in her 70's and doesn't care for speed, games or any other "amazing" stuff the iPad can do. She just wants to read her mail and browse a site or two.

Following the release of iOS 9, the iPad became useless. Slow to the point of ridiculous and basically destined for the bin. There was no way to downgrade by the time I got my hands on it as Apple stopped signing iOS 8, and we literally had to bin what was otherwise a perfectly reasonable device.

I've always wondered, why?

Yes, I know the device is old, but if it works, it should continue to do so. We live in a society where the answer is just "buy a new one"; because come on, $700 just grows on trees, right?

It's the thing that hacks me off with ALL of these companies. Apple is not alone in this.

Apple, Samsung, LG, Google...they are all in this together and frankly, it needs to stop, but how? Your guess is as good as mine.

The reality is we live in a landscape of very expensive throw-away items and people just sink further and further into debt to get the latest gear and companies like Apple absolutely encourage and enable this behaviour.

Low APR credit, free credit etc is thrown about like it's nothing driving consumers into debt. Do you think Apple gives a damn? Heck no. They thrive off it and earn millions dishing out the partnerships and even the credit.

And guess what. We lap it up and we also thrive upon it!

We are a sick society.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Maybe the solution is to stop all iOS updates in Portugal, then there is no planned obsolescence. Kind of like the Android model.

(Allowing people to downgrade for a longer period would be helpful too).

Reactions: BKDad

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
The software is optimized to a certain spec, leaving other hardware configs to not work as smoothly. So Tim has to be very careful with his words here, because the company doesn't write code persay to slow down other devices, it's just a side effect of writing to a certain spec, with possible changes in hardware and amount of time to optimize for other devices.

Trust me in that someone at Apple decides when you're not getting enough value for your work, and decides to reprioritize something. Happens a lot with other companies too. They just want the best bang for the buck.

• Disagree
Reactions: hllywluis

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Now THIS is the lawsuit I've been waiting for. I hope this happens in America too. Apple crippled my iPhone 5s with IOS 11, which led to me selling it dirt cheap. If not for Apple's "stopping signing an OS", I would probably still have that iPhone, even if just as a backup and all those free games I had would still work. Bad Apple. I hope they lose this one as it really does benefit consumers.
Backing up before upgrading doesn’t work? I backup my phone before every upgrade (it kinda does it automatically, but still, I make sure I get a backup right before I upgrade) and, if it’s not good for me, I reinstall that backup.

Reactions: BKDad and FCX

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
The software is optimized to a certain spec, leaving other hardware configs to not work as smoothly. So Tim has to be very careful with his words here, because the company doesn't write code persay to slow down other devices, it's just a side effect of writing to a certain spec, with possible changes in hardware and amount of time to optimize for other devices.

Trust me in that someone at Apple decides when you're not getting enough value for your work, and decides to reprioritize something. Happens a lot with other companies too. They just want the best bang for the buck.

Um.. are you sure..

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Planned obsolesence? How many of us have friends who are still rocking iphones and macbooks from 2015 and earlier? Apple gear remains useful for years longer than windows & android stuff, partly because of software support and partly because of better physical build quality. This lawsuit is frivolous.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I think that we are getting to the place where the people making and managing countries rules and processes are so far behind their knowledge of technology and have not idea how it works. Tech will always change, like it or not....there will be issues, like it or not, that's just part of change. If people are always running to have the latest, greatest "cutting edge" tech (toys) I know that it seems silly, but in tech it's always best to wait for the v2 revision. Yes, hardware gets obsoleteleted....that's part of progress not usually on purpose, but usually because the older hardware ban no longer run the new code.....ie, 32 bit vs 64 bit.

It seems that Apple product customers want the latest technology but freak out when the older technology is removed. I think as you move forward there is a point that the old has to be left behind.

Reactions: BKDad and BSG75

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Replaceable batteries is the answer.

Almost every Apple ad or message is about how privacy on your iPhone is the most important thing ever.

BUT, if your battery dies, and it *will*, give us or one of our contracted depots physical possession of the your most personal, private device to change the battery out.
You mean "User Replaceable"

*poof* There goes any IPS rating

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP. No more security updates are leaving me vulnerable. They should be forced to support forever.

1 - New OSs will always be slower on older hardware. If you can't handle that, do not update to newest OS (yes, you'll miss out on features).
2 - Super unrealistic to expect support of an ancient OS. Every company, not just Apple, cuts the cord at some point.

In the words of the great coach Beard, "Grow up and get over it."

1614614513618.png

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I think that we are getting to the place where the people making and managing countries rules and processes are so far behind their knowledge of technology and have not idea how it works. Tech will always change, like it or not....there will be issues, like it or not, that's just part of change. If people are always running to have the latest, greatest "cutting edge" tech (toys) I know that it seems silly, but in tech it's always best to wait for the v2 revision. Yes, hardware gets obsoleteleted....that's part of progress not usually on purpose, but usually because the older hardware ban no longer run the new code.....ie, 32 bit vs 64 bit.

It seems that Apple product customers want the latest technology but freak out when the older technology is removed. I think as you move forward there is a point that the old has to be left behind.

None of that addresses this specific issue. Which is that Apple throttled the performance of some peoples devices without properly informing them.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
What an unbelievable crock of a law suit. The only good thing about it is it is not out of East Texas although I am sure that court system will try to be involved. Many of the new features use additional hardware that was not even around when the 6 series was introduced.

Reactions: BKDad

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Planned obsolesence? How many of us have friends who are still rocking iphones and macbooks from 2015 and earlier? Apple gear remains useful for years longer than windows & android stuff, partly because of software support and partly because of better physical build quality. This lawsuit is frivolous.

2015 is relatively recent. There are 2007/2008 PC devices still in use and supported by Windows vs 2012 Macs that have been dropped from Big Sur by Apple.

Reactions: Razorpit

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
What "mountains of iphone 12 complaints" that are above any other release in the past and what "massive bugs" that are outside the norm for iphone releases?

As far as the lawsuit, at this point it seems to be a money grab, but there are likely other lawsuits waiting in the wings.
First off , this isnt a new release anymore iPhone 12 and iOS 14 have been out for nearly 6 months.

Second, here are a couple of ongoing things for example that have been plaguing plenty of people.

And yes I'm about to be cliche.....but for the prices Apple charges they deserve every bit of criticism especially when its contrary to their marketing. Apple's prices have been going up in recent years and quality has been going down whether anyone wants to argue thats by a little or a lot is a moot point. The fact its happening at all is not good.

Reactions: PC_tech and BKDad

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
2015 is relatively recent. There are 2007/2008 PC devices still in use and supported by Windows vs 2012 Macs that have been dropped from Big Sur by Apple.
I work at a tech company that primarily uses PCs/Windows. Everyone gets new hardware every three years because we need the latest software to do our jobs in a high pace competitive market. Latest software will always demand the newest hardware. If you don't get it, your old computer will be slow. The 2007/2008 PC devices you speak of are super slow by now. Not much getting done there. That experience must be poop. Apple cuts the cord before that experience is even a possibility.

I thank you, Apple!

Reactions: progx

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Maybe Apple shouldn't add basic features like ability to selectively place icons anywhere on home screen since that might slow down iPhones or introduce unintended bugs that require frequent OS updates to fix.

axcess99

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I am sick of this "scandal".

From the full background, it appears to me that they were acting in good faith. Not trying to induce sales but trying to reduce the frequency of unexpected shutdown events in phones that are physically wearing out the battery. They had a release note alluding to the change and published later info about how this did significantly reduce the device incident reports.

It was a short-fall of communication and not nefarious. You don't get future device sales by outright sabotaging your customers. They have taken IMO adequate steps since then to have clear displays and controls for the end-user within iOS itself.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
First off , this isnt a new release anymore iPhone 12 and iOS 14 have been out for nearly 6 months.

Second, here are a couple of ongoing things for example that have been plaguing plenty of people.

And yes I'm about to be cliche.....but for the prices Apple charges they deserve every bit of criticism especially when its contrary to their marketing. Apple's prices have been going up in recent years and quality has been going down whether anyone wants to argue thats by a little or a lot is a moot point. The fact its happening at all is not good.
Stutter is a "massive problem"? Sure some people may notice it, but "stutter" in iphones have been debated for years. Same with so-called "Yellow screen".

Price is not indicative of lack of complaints, some justified, some not. If that were the case, cars that sell at a premium, like the S class would be a paragon of reliability.

Apple's prices really haven't really been going up as you allege. But I guess both of us to spin something to make our case.

The fact that this is happening seems normal, especially since the same things (justified or not) have been talked about for years.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
None of that addresses this specific issue. Which is that Apple throttled the performance of some peoples devices without properly informing them.
Honestly, the intentions were good...I believe, however they should have told people up front and made it an option to partake or not. Once it became an issue, Apple should have made a formal apology, explained the reason..that it was to keep phones with older, tired batters not randomly should down and then gave some compensation to the affected people...And learned from the mistake to not do it again.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
You mean "User Replaceable"

*poof* There goes any IPS rating
Everything I've heard about their waterproofing is you can trust it once not long after purchase and after that it diminishes quickly.

And there are a number of cameras that are not just water resistant but specifically designed to work under water that use things other than glue to keep water out. I don't personally own them, but from what I can tell, it seems they just work with gaskets, like the Olympus TG series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.