Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit Over Lack of Filters in MacBooks and iMacs Causing Trapped Dust

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is facing a class action lawsuit that accuses the company of failing to install vent filters in MacBooks and iMacs, leading to lower processor speeds and screen smudges from trapped dust, which result in expensive repairs for consumers.

News of the lawsuit was published today by Hagens Berman, the firm handling the case.

[​IMG]
    According to the lawsuit, some iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and MacBook Air users have experienced dark smudges and spots on the interior of the screens of their computers as well as excessive slowness due to heating issues because of the lack of a filter in these devices.
    Dust accumulating from the air allegedly impacts the screen and the motherboard, causing spots on the display and heat regulation issues.

Hagens Berman says that Apple has been charging customers with machines out of warranty upwards of $600 to fix these problems. The lawsuit says iMac and MacBook models from 2013 to 2018 are affected.

Several plaintiffs are named in the lawsuit, including a photographer who was plagued by dark spots on her Mac's display, a user who had smudges on his iMac who was required to pay $600 for a replacement after five months, and a third iMac owner who saw dark smudges soon after making a purchase and subsequently had his display and motherboard replaced multiple times, leading to high repair bills.

The class action lawsuit is seeking monetary compensation for Mac owners, including compensation for screens that "did not perform as advertised," reimbursement for out-of-pocket repair costs, and compensation for those who sold their computers at a loss due to dark smudges on the display or poor performance.

Article Link: Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit Over Lack of Filters in MacBooks and iMacs Causing Trapped Dust

2. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

3. Jamers99 macrumors member

Jamers99

My 2015 is over 3 years old and not a single smudge from dust collection.

4. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I can't think of any laptop that has dust filters to be honest. Desktops yes but not laptops.

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

Is Apple double majoring in college? Because they seem to be attending a lot of classes.

6. 19SK91 macrumors regular

I have that issue on my late 2012 iMac on both the bottom left and right corners. It‘s taking up a pretty big area and is especially visible on light backgrounds. I have no idea if Apple would do anything about it, especially since I‘m not in the US. Probably not, so I just learned to live with it.

7. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

Easy solution for Apple, just fix them for free.

8. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Maybe, if this is a problem, that the people making this claim needed to keep their work area cleaner in the first place?

Dear Apple,

I live next to a dirt road and my Mac is being affected by it. I'm not responsible for what I may or may not do, so what are you going to do about it?

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

This is the first I'm hearing of this on a Laptop.
    Too soon... They're still paying Tuiton :cool:

10. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

But usually laptops are able to be easily opened and de-dusted (sic) without voiding warranty.

11. brofkand macrumors 6502

Strange issue, I'm not sure I can recall dust causing display issues. Overheating sure, but display problems?

12. 19SK91 macrumors regular

In my opinion it‘s Apples fault to ship a laminated screen that isn‘t sealed off good enough to keep dust out. Dust in the casing is one thing but big waves of dust in between glass and laminated display is another. Talking iMac here.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

14. john123 Suspended

john123

Interesting. I haven't noticed this on any of my MBPs over the years.

I should note, though: it doesn't matter how many of us chime in about not having had this problem. That doesn't invalidate the experience of those that have. It does beg the question though of why some people get it and others don't.

15. DrGorilla macrumors newbie

The screens are glued and there is no glass on my screen, so where is this dust getting trapped? I'd like to add that this hasn't happened to my screen and I've worked on building sites a number of times.

16. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Oh hells yea free can of canned air for all MacBook owners!

17. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Will go nowhere, as usual.

Apple will take care of those impacted, as usual.

18. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

laptops on rugs is not a good combo. laptops on bedding is not a good combo.

19. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

Actually many by Lenovo do, I know because I have opened them up.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

My 2017 iMac is beginning to experience this. I constantly use full screen mode for MSFT Office, and I never had these smudges in the bottom left corner like the image in the article. But as time has gone one, it has begun to grow. Its covered under warranty, but it's such a hassle to have them replace the screen because it never comes back the same. Multiple times has the Apple Store messed up my computer after having massive repairs done. So much so they had to replace the computers (2 times) all together.

21. profets macrumors 601

I’ve seen this happen to many iMacs I’ve had at the office. Didn’t realize it was dust.

22. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

They can't squeeze anything else inside the MacBook because of Jony's obsession with thinness.

23. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

Wow, I thought my dad jokes were bad...

24. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Add this to the long list of official and/or unannounced MacBook service programs that will be available soon.

25. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

Is it in any way helpful? I'd expect them to get plugged and need cleaning/replacement and end up being just one more thing to deal with.