Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has notified Genius Bars and Apple Authorized Service Providers that its inventory of displays for Late 2014 and Mid 2015 models of the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display is constrained until mid to late December, according to an internal service document obtained by MacRumors today.

imac-screen-off.jpg

As a result, if a customer with one of those iMac models requires a display repair due to accidental damage, Apple has instructed its service providers to offer a free repair if the customer is willing to wait until mid to late December.

If a customer is unable to wait, Apple will offer a functionally equivalent 2017 model 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display to be paid for by the customer, minus a $600 or local equivalent discount. The Late 2014 or Mid 2015 iMac must be returned to Apple -- the customer will never get it back.

For example, if a customer takes a base model Late 2014 5K iMac with a damaged display to an Apple Store in the United States, and declines to wait until December for a repair, the Genius Bar is instructed to offer the customer a base model 2017 5K iMac for $1,199, down from its original price of $1,799.

Note that the 2017 models will be Customer Replacement Units, or CRUs, but it's unclear if they will be refurbished or brand new.

In order to qualify, the iMac must be out-of-warranty. If the iMac is still covered by AppleCare+ or Apple's standard one-year warranty, Genius Bars and Apple Authorized Service Providers are instructed to proceed with a standard repair. Note that only Late 2014 and Mid 2015 models are eligible -- no others.

Unsurprisingly, Apple says any iMac with excessive or catastrophic damage as a result of reckless, abusive, or purposeful conduct is ineligible for a free repair. This includes any iMac that has been crushed or bent, or partially or fully submerged in liquid. This isn't a free 2014-to-2017 iMac upgrade program.

This procedure is to be followed by Apple Store and Apple Authorized Service Provider locations worldwide until display inventory is restored. Non-end users with two or more eligible iMacs with a damaged display are not eligible to claim a free repair to prevent resellers from abusing the offer.

All of this information comes from an internal Apple document obtained by MacRumors from multiple reliable sources, but we can't guarantee this procedure will be offered by all service providers. We also can't guarantee that all Apple employees or technicians will be aware of or acknowledge this temporary policy.

To initiate a repair, head to the Get Support page on Apple.com.

Article Link: Apple Facing Shortage of 2014 and Mid 2015 5K iMac Displays, Offering Free Delayed Repairs or $600 Off a New Model

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Amazing they support such old hardware.

Why wouldn't they, they practically only update Macs every two years as it is, so these are only a couple cycles behind at most. It would make more sense if the article mentioned the price of an out of warranty display repair. I am guessing replacing the display out of warranty costs about the same $1200 that they are discounting the new one to judging by how much parts for the MacBook Pro 13" non touch bar cost (still in warranty). I am pretty sure the display for my MacBook Pro was a $600 part (Canadian) when I had it replaced

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Why wouldn't they, they practically only update Macs every two years as it is, so these are only a couple cycles behind at most. It would make more sense if the article mentioned the price of an out of warranty display repair. I am guessing replacing the display out of warranty costs about the same $1200 that they are discounting the new one to judging by how much parts for the MacBook Pro 13" non touch bar cost (still in warranty). I am pretty sure the display for my MacBook Pro was a $600 part (Canadian) when I had it replaced
Because most companies, particularly tech, don't support 4+ year old hardware.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Mr. C.

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Weird. I can't imagine there are a lot of iMac displays that get damaged.

Wish there were some rumors about the new iMac and iMac Pros. I need to buy a desktop.

My guess—and experience—is that they suffer from image retention. Anecdotal evidence points towards that.

Guigue

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
Because most companies, particularly tech, don't support 4+ year old hardware.

They're not necessarily 4+ year old though, these computers were sold until 2017, and are still sold through the refurbished store (or at least they were until recently). Some of these model are therefore still under warranty.

Reactions: bernuli

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Weird. I can't imagine there are a lot of iMac displays that get damaged.

Wish there were some rumors about the new iMac and iMac Pros. I need to buy a desktop.

Mannnn you and I both. I have a Mid 2010 21.5” and am itching for a new one. Really hoping they make some grand changes to the next model and that it comes out this Fall/Winter.

Reactions: cashville2400

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Amazing they support such old hardware.

Not at all. They're required by law (California and various countries), support contracts, and EPEAT certification to support hardware at least 5 years after last sale. Dell, for example, will sell 5 year support contracts, 3 years being automatically included for business hardware.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I wonder if the shortage of displays is caused by a new iMac going into production? Just being optimistic.

Shortage is because Tim Cook still thinks iPad Pro will replace the PC (personal computer), and Apple didn't plan accordingly.

“I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one? Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones.”

Reactions: entropys

forerunnerg34

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2015
Ecuador
It's time for a redesign!

Nine years ago
View attachment 791397

Today
View attachment 791399

Please no!!, Apple "redesign" usually means taking something away or replace it for something less functional.

Actually the current design still looks modern and for me is s till the best all-in-one design. Surface Studio looks nice but I'm not a fan of the zero-gravity hinge. Let0s see what Microsoft announces today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.