Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmartines95

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Los Angeles
I’ll be heading to the Apple Store this coming Wednesday to hopefully get a replacement for my 2014 5K iMac. Like some others have mentioned, it’s gotten dust under the display and also has some moderate image retention. Will update the post with what they tell me. If anyone else has had success with a replacement it’d be great to hear from you!

Tomisawesome

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Does this include those of us with iMacs with severe image retention issues? Or is the best course of action to first take a hammer to the display? ;)

this would be amazing, my late 2014 model has major image retention issues too, and I took it to the apple store to see what they could do, they quoted me about $900 AUD to replace the screen, a price I wasn't willing to spend. But its very annoying, so If you have any luck getting a free replacement, please let me know !!

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I’ll be heading to the Apple Store this coming Wednesday to hopefully get a replacement for my 2014 5K iMac. Like some others have mentioned, it’s gotten dust under the display and also has some moderate image retention. Will update the post with what they tell me. If anyone else has had success with a replacement it’d be great to hear from you!
I did the same thing with no success

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Image retention a major issue on my Dec 2014 5K. Wasn't obvious before AppleCare ended though. A $3500 iMac ought to have a screen that works properly for much longer than 4 years. First LCD I've had so far with this problem.

studio8jared

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018

Let us know how your Genius Bar appointment goes. I have the same exact issues with my 2014 5K iMac and also live in Los Angeles so I'm very interested to see how it goes for you.

vmartines95

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Los Angeles
Let us know how your Genius Bar appointment goes. I have the same exact issues with my 2014 5K iMac and also live in Los Angeles so I'm very interested to see how it goes for you.
Just got back from the Apple Store. I was quoted ~$600 for a Display Replacement. The Apple Genius told me it was in stock and could be replaced in 5-7 days. I’m assuming this policy only applies to select areas or Apple still has some stock available.

Reactions: studio8jared

Tomisawesome

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Just got back from the Apple Store. I was quoted ~$600 for a Display Replacement. The Apple Genius told me it was in stock and could be replaced in 5-7 days. I’m assuming this policy only applies to select areas or Apple still has some stock available.
Thanks for the feedback, I think I’ll try Apple support char first, see if I can get a quote there, and if they still have stock maybe wait a week and try in store

vmartines95

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Los Angeles
Thanks for the feedback, I think I’ll try Apple support char first, see if I can get a quote there, and if they still have stock maybe wait a week and try in store
I initially tried chat, but they told me I had to go in-store for a diagnostic. Regardless, it’d be great if you could provide an update!

akolade

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Any update on this? Were they able to replace for free?
Apparently my iMac passed all their tests so they couldn't do anything. Took it home and there is still image retention, though it's not as bad?
Anyway, when talking to the tech he DID mention his very shortage of screens from Apple, citing the December date. So it's possible it could have been free if they were able to agree there was a problem in the first place.

Reactions: studio8jared

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apparently my iMac passed all their tests so they couldn't do anything. Took it home and there is still image retention, though it's not as bad?
Anyway, when talking to the tech he DID mention his very shortage of screens from Apple, citing the December date. So it's possible it could have been free if they were able to agree there was a problem in the first place.

Were you under AppleCare?

I have one a 2014 iMac 5K with and the image retention is getting kind of distracting. I have until March till my AppleCare runs out and have been procrastinating dealing with it. Found some others on this forum with the same issue on the same iMac model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.