Apple: fall release for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypress822, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cypress822, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

cypress822 macrumors regular

Called up Apple Care about my 2009 computer issue yesterday. I told him i was going to buy a new one because i couldn't wait any longer for the new iMac due to budget issues---he said all you have to wait is till fall. I told him i was hoping for summer. He replied he has heard it will be a fall release for iMac...not summer. I asked him if that was he was actually told or just heard...he says its quite common knowledge that its a fall release--not a huge secret he said over there!
    Could be total crap...i have no idea...just thought i would share it with you guys. My budget does not allow me to wait till fall.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Phone representatives have no more knowledge than the man on the street about Apple's time table
    All they are hearing are the same rumors we get
    Nothing more, nothing less

3. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Monkeys answering phones know less than we do. And we know nothing.

4. lozpop macrumors 6502

Why Apple should lose customers waiting until this fall? The new iMac won't have retina display, it's way too soon, therefore the next machine will just be a speed bump.

No reason to wait until this fall for a speed bump.

5. fastlanephil, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

He probably "heard" that on MacRumors.:D

There is a good chance for a modest refresh soon. After that the iMac may await the same fate as rest of the Mac desktop machines. The Mac desktop development teams may be history and their energy put into "something" very different to move the Mac(?) computing experience forward.

6. vladfein macrumors regular

Well... thank you?

7. IPlayFair macrumors member

Interesting, I was in an Apple store in Natick Massachusetts a couple of days ago and an Apple Genius said the same thing about an Imac release in the Fall.

8. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

Interesting if it's true, but I'm starting to fear that Apple are moving away from desktops.

9. bugbear99 macrumors member

it make sense if they release on fall.
    if they r going to release on july
    why bother not releasing it a month earlier on the WWDC?
    if u say july for new chips, and how about the time for testing and getting cert?

so its reasonable to think it will come later than july.

10. lozpop macrumors 6502

Because WWDC was focused on the MacBook Pros.

If they would have introduced the iMac at WWDC, they wouldn't have anything to support the launch of Mountain Lion.

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Did Apple taking 450 days to release the iPhone 4S prove they were moving away from phones?

12. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

i have a friend that works at an apple store and we were chatting about the imac release and he said the fall but he also said that was just pure GUESS he assure me that he didnt know anything for sure nor did anyone else he work with.. the people that work on retail and applecare dont really know ANYTHING regarding releases unless is a day before because they will need to hold up later the night before to set up new banners and setup the new computers for display and stuff like that. in other words sometimes we macrumors readers know more about releases than some apple employees.

----------

while i agree that apple is moving away from desktop and its really annoying the crap out me. the iphone did take 467 days to be release so your comment is just erroneous.

13. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

I just hope they aren't busy soldering down the RAM. I'm half expecting it though.....

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nope. But it took Apple 685 days to give MacPro the lamest spec bump in history.

Sandy Bridge MBA was actually fast enough. But that's not enough .. So

It took Apple 327 days to upgrade MacBook Air to the latest tech available.

See the pattern here?

15. Nandifix macrumors 6502

They only say fall so that it's far enough away that you might be desperate enough to buy a current iMac ...

16. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I too believe the new iMacs will come this fall. my new MBA should hold me over nicely until then:D Apple staggers and increases the time in between desktop updates, in order to push more MacBooks and iPads.

17. dancj macrumors 6502

Maybe the same reason they waited until autumn for the iPhone 4s.

18. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

hahah yeah cause Apple tells their phone reps all the juicy insider info.

19. Morrius macrumors member

Wouldn't a fall release be a good thing? This gives ML time to have some of the bugs worked out, you get a machine that built with the newest OS in mind, and unless you're horny for a launch day purchase, Black Friday isn't too far off either.

20. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for fall, but I'm not holding my breath. My nephew just got a new Mac Book Pro (non-retina, of course). It is amazingly fast. My Mac Mini is late 2009 and it puts it to shame. I will just hold on until whenever it happens.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

1) Macrumors news site posts rumors from 'sources' about potential Apple hardware releases.

2) Apple employee, being interested in Apple products, reads Apple news/rumor websites.

3) Macrumors forum users asks Apple employee about hardware release, employee speculates based on what they've read.

4) Macrumors forum user posts this conversation as further evidence to the initial rumor.

:D

22. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

A Fall release will be bad - no chance to sell a desk top to college students, many people wont have the funds to buy a new Iphone, Ipad and Imac. So Apple will make the desktop death a self fullfilling prophecy when it doesnt sell as well as they would want. (the people waiting since spring will be gone - new PC or old IMAC)

Tom

23. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Apple has never done anything substantial for Black Friday.

24. Overg macrumors 6502

No wonder
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/16/domestic_data_shows_mac_sales_down_10_in_june_quarter.html
    I can't imagine fall release that will kill the Mac sales.

25. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Tommy, props for your analysis, but can't say I agree. College students predominately buy laptops, Apple knows this. The majority of iPhone buyers don't outright buy their phones, they're part of monthly plans, which doesn't require upfront payment. iPads aren't eating iMac sales, they're eating Macbook sales, and MacBooks in turn are eating iMac sales, so releasing iPads and iMacs together wouldn't be much of a marketing issue.