Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by hokka
I repeat: Key Note is ...

I'm sorry, but I have to chime in here. First, hokka, you are really completely neglecting reality. We live in a world of interoperability. Many of us have to produce files that others can read/view/whatever. If Keynote doesn't do that well enough, you cannot say that siberian should tell everyone else that they're wrong for not being able to read his files. That's just stupid. It would get him fired, more than likely.

Second, if you ask me, Keynote has potential, but it's not there yet. I attend many, many presentations throughout the year. Probably about 50% of them are done in PowerPoint. Almost all of the rest are done with transparencies. To date, I have seen one presentation done with Keynote, and it didn't come off too well. Why not? Because Keynote didn't properly identify the projector's screen configuration and displayed the slides with the left edge of the slides (including some of the text) cut off by the left edge of the screen. Is that 'just working'? Is that an example of software that isn't buggy?

I've also used Keynote a little bit myself, and have been equally disappointed. I spent a number of hours putting together a presentation in Keynote, only to have it tell me when I tried to save that there was some unknown error and it couldn't save. Curiously, I was able to export and finish the presentation in PowerPoint.

Now, I'm not saying that PowerPoint is better. I'm just saying that Keynote is in its infancy. I look forward to later versions that will make it a PowerPoint killer.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i went broke buying my 15GB iPod. i got in because of my uncle was going there for his company or something like that.
this saturday he's taking me to the apple store opening in long island:) he's a really cool uncle.
plus, i don't have the money for a 970 weather i had a job or not:p

Hey, if they have a 15"PowerBook for sale with a 970 processor, I've got the money for that!!! ;)

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by siberian
Geeze, why are you people like this? Someone says something that you dislike and you immediately insult them professionally and personally. Its kind of ridiculous.
:( Gee guy, I didn't know I insulted you professionally.

Is your job title "Professional PowerPoint Power User"?

I apologize for any dishonor I brought to you and your family. My hatred of recieving PPTs when an email would have sufficed or been superior shames me. I humbly wish your forgiveness for not immediately recognizing the vast importance of Microsoft's honorable application.

Now, if you're done flaming me, I would like to point out that I, too, believe Apple must achieve a superlative level of interoperability with their files to achieve world domination.

Everyone have fun, don't let it get too toasty in here...

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
How much do macworlds cost to get in anyway? I'm not going to have a whole bunch of money while i'm out there...unless i find a job pronto.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Re: Re: Re: New chip releases? Don't count on it.

Originally posted by siberian
Besides, why rebuild apps that already exist and work 'well enough'? I really do not understand this logic. Fill the voids that are empty and then go back and rebuild stuff that already works fine later.
I have to say I'd really like a good web page creation program. Graphics editing etc. Though they've certainly been done before.

In fact, I wouldn't mind some iMovie/iPhoto slide show and quicktime integration - but just a nice simple way to put up clean web pages would be a great iApp. Neat tricks can wait.

I guess someone will tell me there's already a great program to do just this.... (?) I haven't looked on the mac yet as I have previously made pages on the PC.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: Re: Re: New chip releases? Don't count on it.

Originally posted by GregAussie
I have to say I'd really like a good web page creation program. Graphics editing etc. Though they've certainly been done before.

In fact, I wouldn't mind some iMovie/iPhoto slide show and quicktime integration - but just a nice simple way to put up clean web pages would be a great iApp. Neat tricks can wait.

I guess someone will tell me there's already a great program to do just this.... (?) I haven't looked on the mac yet as I have previously made pages on the PC.

I like GoLive, though I haven't tried the latest version (I have an older version that still works just fine). Also, iPhoto can export web pages based on photo albums that you have. I've used it to good effect to produce the photo pages on my web site. (It really saves a tremendous amounts of time when you're trying to create pages with more then 200 photos on them.)

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
I haven't tried to mess with it, but I saw something that appears to be a web page tool in AppleWorks...ala that piece of utter dog crap, MS Frontpage...

Ugh, FP is a dog. My fianceé tries to use it for her pages, but it sucks. She basically says you have to lay everything out the way you want it the first time -- cause there's no editing it effectively once its there....

BTW, I seriously think if it were possible Apple should buy Adobe. How many people think this besides me? And how many problems would this solve? They've got the money, I would think. And I can't see Adobe seeing it as such a bad thing. Oh well, dreamin' again.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by BaghdadBob

BTW, I seriously think if it were possible Apple should buy Adobe. How many people think this besides me? And how many problems would this solve? They've got the money, I would think. And I can't see Adobe seeing it as such a bad thing. Oh well, dreamin' again.

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Adobe, from what I've seen, is a bit too into themselves to allow it. (Gee, if it were to happen, do you think that Apple would then make the Windows versions of Photoshop, et. al., cost twice as much as the Mac versions? Or maybe discontinue the Windows versions entirely, leaving the Mac version and a new Linux version - that would cost twice as much... Qui sait?)

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Maybe, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Adobe, from what I've seen, is a bit too into themselves to allow it. (Gee, if it were to happen, do you think that Apple would then make the Windows versions of Photoshop, et. al., cost twice as much as the Mac versions? Or maybe discontinue the Windows versions entirely, leaving the Mac version and a new Linux version - that would cost twice as much... Qui sait?)

That would be totally monopolistic. I would be ashamed of apple. The better way of doing it would be to continue with the type of products Adobe had been making (before apple purchased them) for windows... providing regular updates, but really integrate it into the Mac OS... the same way that Apple has done with other software they've bought.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Exactly...well, I don't think there'd be anything wrong with keeping the current pricing scheme, except with bundling offers with hardware.

The real sweet thing would be to totally ensure a very high level of optimization. Just think if when the 970s came out there was already a fully optimized version of PhotoShop and Illustrator to go with? Beat those damned benchmarks!!

Plus it would be nice to have access to PS, Illustrator, Pagemaker, and Indesign code for integration into things like AppleWorks, "Lite" versions of the professional programs, but what limited components they included would have all the sweetness of their professional counterparts.

Apple and Adobe. SERIOUS synergy. More than any other acquisition Apple could make, as far as I can tell. I only wish it would just happen. It just makes me tingle to think of it...but why even dream.... :(

After that they can merge with Sun, like that one guy was saying...oooooh...*shivers*

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by maxterpiece
That would be totally monopolistic. I would be ashamed of apple. The better way of doing it would be to continue with the type of products Adobe had been making (before apple purchased them) for windows... providing regular updates, but really integrate it into the Mac OS... the same way that Apple has done with other software they've bought.

Ah, you didn't get the reference. So either you don't know about this, or you're already ashamed of Apple.

When Apple bought Shake, they discontinued the Windows version almost immediately. Further, they changed the pricing structure, such that the Mac version cost half what the Linux and Irix versions cost. So what I was suggesting was not without precedent.

(Yes, the pricing was done by cutting the cost of the Mac version in half, not doubling the Linux and Irix prices, but the relative result is still the same.)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Ah, you didn't get the reference. So either you don't know about this, or you're already ashamed of Apple.

When Apple bought Shake, they discontinued the Windows version almost immediately. Further, they changed the pricing structure, such that the Mac version cost half what the Linux and Irix versions cost. So what I was suggesting was not without precedent.

(Yes, the pricing was done by cutting the cost of the Mac version in half, not doubling the Linux and Irix prices, but the relative result is still the same.)

i was about to say that.

Originally posted by maxterpiece

since when did apple aquire adobe?

Shaktai

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Puget Sound
Originally posted by blueBomber
That would be my question. Apparantly somebody typed something in wrong.

No, they didn't type in anything wrong, they just assumed (ass-u-me) to much from what someone else posted that "they" thought would be a good idea. There is no merger or even potential merger with Adobe, pending. However, I am confident that Apple still has a an overall "good" working relationship with Adobe. Adobe will do what is "good for" Adobe. They will utilize and program for what Apple hardware is available, for as long as it remains profitable. If Apple produces better hardware, Adobe will not hesitate to jump on board to take advantage of it. It is to their advantage to do so.

Corporate relationships are often tested. I see this on a daily basis in my job where the company I work for is a vendor providing services for another company. Stuff happens, but most of the time they discuss it, and then work through it, to the mutual benefit of all involved. If Apple builds it, they (Adobe and many others) will come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.