Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garion

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark, Europe
I've gotta ask myself: Is this solution superior to the thing it's replacing? A handwritten-note-taking app for an iPad does not pass that test, in my book.

Imagine you could carry all the notes you've been taking for the past four semesters at college on a 1.5 pound device, along with all your textbooks and private mails AND your entire music collection. All in a sleak device the size and weight of a hardcover book.

Still doesn't make a lightbulb go off? :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
People need to stop generalizing. I have a MackbookPro. Sometimes I need to edit some video, use Photoshop, or do something else that MUST be done on a nice powerful machine. And if I'm on the laptop and have some browsing to do or music to listen to, I'll do it there. But, only if I was already using the laptop for the serious resource intensive stuff. When I'm sitting on the sofa and I want to browse the net, I just unlock my iPhone and go from there. It's not perfect, being on such a small screen, but I find the touchscreen experience very enjoyable and I can use the iPhone anywhere I want.

Sounds like me and my roommate.

Me, I've work and fun that goes the same way. Work for me is spent in front of big 27 inch imacs networked into a render farm etc. A few days out of the week will be on a sound stage or location shoot where Im handling storyboards, script pages etc. all of which were emailed to me and I had to print them and put them in a binder or a clipboard to keep them together. I have tried using a laptop and it wasn't the easiest. the ipad form is a likely improvement. So yeah the boss is getting a couple to try it out.

One thing that I think could help the ipad is in fact Hollywood. as soon as the device was announced there was talk that Jack Bauer could be toting one by the end of the season. There was a new medical show last fall (since cancelled as a flop) where the docs used tablets to record orders, look at test results etc. We'll see more of that. The CSI guys will probably be toting tablets around their labs before long (maybe even the end of this season). And so on. And since the ipad is the only one on the market folks will make that mental jump even if what the actor is carrying is a piece of painted foam.

Heck all my Trekkie friends from back home are facebooking about some company that already has a LCARS theme for the ipad so you can have an IPADD and by just like Picard and company. TrekCon geeks will snatch that up and there's an easy like 100k sales.

And then there's my little sister who is starting college next fall. She's watching the whole etextbook thing very closely cause she wants to be a history or lit major of some kind and that's going to be a lot of books to haul around. if she can put them on an ipad and save some money plus her back, she's in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.