Apple Files for Mactel Trademark

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A CNet article notes that Apple applied for a trademark for the term "Mactel" through the US Trademark and Patent Office.

The Mactel trademark is described as follows:

computers, computer hardware, computer peripherals, computer software, integrated circuits, circuit boards, microprocessors, semiconductors
Whether or not Apple is planning on using this term or is simply protecting it from future generic use is unknown. A recent poll revealed that users were generally split on what term to use to describe (in conversation) the upcoming Intel Based Macs.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Yet another Apple trademark that will most likely never see the light of day. At least I hope it doesn't see the light of day, cuz it SUCKS!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Interesting - gives some more strength to the previous rumors and discussions on future naming. Can't say I'm too fond of it, but we'll have to wait and see how things play out I guess...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Peace said:
I believe either one or 2 other folks or I first used that term right here on the rumors!!

Do these kind folks get a new "Mactel" machine?? :D
I'm sure Jobs will personally be contacting you about that in the next couple of days. ;)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The new PowerMactel! The new iMactel!

*barf*

I'm all for Apple switching to Intel, but for the love of god, step away from the pipe! It's not good for you! I mean Mactel? Nope, not good for you at all!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It's not simply for protection, the application shows that they are at least considering using the name in commerce (use in commerce is a requirement for obtaining and keeping a trademark).

A good possibility is that this would be used in a compatibility logo thingy for software and peripherals.

LifeOfRyan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
It seems a bit of a coincidence that they have moved to a new domain... perhaps Apple have bought it to go along with their ridiculous Mammals.org. Haha.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
It's all downhill from here.

No, really. What kind of name is "Mactel"? It just sounds stupid. When your computers are going to be even closer to the rest of the market, every little helps. Including a snappy name. This ain't it...

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
mactel.name taken,,, by me!!

~Shard~ said:
Quick, someone register www.mactel.com ! Oh wait, that Alaskan cell provider probably still owns it... ;)
i just private registered mactel.name! catchy don't you think?
:D

That will be 1 million dollars Steverino. Bwhahaha! :cool: