Apple Files New Trademark Application for Classic 'Rainbow' Logo

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has applied for a new U.S. trademark for its famous multicolor logo for use on apparel, reports The Blast. The Apple filing was processed in December by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM), and is now being considered for approval.

The description of the mark in the filing is of "an apple with a bite removed, with a detached leaf in green, and the apple divided into horizontal colored segments of the following colors (from top to bottom): green, yellow, orange, red, violet and blue".

According to the application, the logo will be used for headgear, namely, hats and caps. Apple already sells t-shirts with the same logo emblazoned on the front at its Apple Park Visitor Center, so the filing likely relates to a possible extension of the existing clothing line, although there's no saying whether Apple will actually use the trademark or just wants to protect it against unofficial use.

The classic multi-colored Apple logo was conceived by graphic designer Rob Janoff in 1977, but Steve Jobs axed the design when he returned to Apple in 1997 in favor of the monochromatic logo that continues to be used today.

[​IMG]
    Janoff's "rainbow Apple" was actually created as a more modern, albeit playful replacement for Apple's first logo, which was designed in 1976 by Apple co-founder Ron Wayne. Sometimes referred to as Apple's "fifth Beatle", Wayne famously sold his stake in the company two weeks after it was founded.

Wayne was a fan of the ornate line-drawing style of Victorian illustrated fiction, and used Sir Isaac Newton as the company's symbolic bellwether, an apple hanging precariously above his head. A quote from Wordsworth embellishes the baroque frame: "A mind forever voyaging through strange seas of thought, alone."

Article Link: Apple Files New Trademark Application for Classic 'Rainbow' Logo

2. kplayaja macrumors newbie

3. ex0dus1985 macrumors newbie

ex0dus1985

I can’t wait to buy some merchandise with the classic rainbow Apple!

4. cw75 macrumors member

cw75

Interesting......I would've thought it was patented long ago.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

While certainly iconic, this trademark application seems to be much ado about nothing

6. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

Company Trademarks can expire if not routinely used in products, goods or services.

7. actionmarker macrumors newbie

Logos are only trademarks not patents.
    They also expire.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple® have quite a large portfolio of Trademarks to maintain. :)

9. TheCoolGuy macrumors newbie

This old Apple computers logo is Newton sitting under the apple tree. So the current logo is the one from Garden of Eden which the serpent made Eve to bite.

10. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

Thats quiet a long list... Any hints at future products from looking at that list or not???

11. timmyh Contributing Editor

timmyh

Don't quote me, but I seem to remember reading that Janoff added the bite so that the apple wasn't mistaken for a cherry.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, Apple is just closing a gap in it's TM protection here. It's to stop others from using the design w headwear. Apple can already use the the logo anyway it likes - it's not going to sue itself.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do love the old logo, I'd definitely like to see it used in some way

14. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

They also have a large portfolio of lawyers to handle that maintenance.
    I doubt you'll see it on any new Apple products. But definitely on merchandise.

15. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I stuck that logo on my MBP & MBA, & changed my internal HD icons on both machines to match. It's one of the very few marketing pieces makes me a little happy every time I see it. It lights up when you open the lid and radiates that gaiety out into the world like a bat signal of fun.

16. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

I liked the Macintosh "Picasso" trademark logo that was developed for the introduction of the original 128k. I still have some of those working units with the white ceramic 68000 chip and signatures inside the case.

17. cknibbs macrumors regular

Me too - I remember modding an old white MacBook back in the day and inserting a transparency over the glowing Apple (between the backlight and the case) to have a glowing rainbow Apple logo.

18. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

19. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

20. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

It is all about Cook’s social agenda.

21. PowerGala macrumors regular

PowerGala

It would be pretty cool if they used it on a 20th Anniversary iMac. The first one came out in August 1998, so it’s coming up soon.

22. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I found, in the bottom of a box, my original Apple t-shirt with the rainbow icon. I forgot I had it, and love wearing it.

I wish they took the clothing accessory market more seriously. I mean, I've got the 'I visited' mothership shirt, and the mouse pad, and the mug, but I'd love Apple shoes, underwear, and a messenger bag. (I do have an original Apple lapel pin that came out around the time the original Mac did)

Tim! Dude! Make it happen! Please, pretty please!

I do also have a banner that Apple backed out on paying for according to the shop that made it. It's about 5 feet tall. So cool!

shutup and take my money.gif

23. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

24. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Given Apple's philanthropy, a rainbow coloured logo is quite appropriate.

25. PaulRustad007 macrumors 6502

PaulRustad007

That is quite the list......some bring back fond memories.