Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has fired Antonio García Martínez, an ex-Facebook product manager and author of the controversial book "Chaos Monkeys," following public and internal calls for removal and investigation due to past misogynistic statements, The Verge reports.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

Apple hired Martínez earlier this week to join its ads team, however, comments that Martínez made in the past sparked condemnation from users across social media and employees internally at Apple.

In a statement, Apple says that it highly values the diversity of its team and that those who pose a risk to its values will not be welcomed at the company.
At Apple, we have always strived to create an inclusive, welcoming workplace where everyone is respected and accepted. Behavior that demeans or discriminates against people for who they are has no place here.
A petition amongst Apple staffers, calling for his dismissal, called past remarks "misogynistic," and that his hiring "calls into question parts of our system of inclusion at Apple, including hiring panels, background checks, and our process to ensure our existing culture of inclusion is strong enough to withstand individuals who don’t share our inclusive values," according to The Verge.

Article Link: Apple Fires Newly Hired Ex-Facebook Product Manager Following Revelations of Past Misogynistic Comments

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Haven't we all said things in the past we regret?

The rule seems to be don't get caught. I'm not a fan of that.

There should be some way for people to be forgiven. Why destroy a man's life because he once said a few rude comments about the women around him?

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008

There should be some way for people to be forgiven. Why destroy a man's life because he once said a few rude comments about the women around him?
Saying some regretful things and apologising for them is different to doubling down on them and writing them in a best selling book.

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Saying some regretful things and apologising for them is different to doubling down on them and writing them in a best selling book.

I half-agree, but if you look at his book, it's clearly quite tongue in cheek and not to be taken literally.

I don't understand how slightly offending some people is now a life destroying offence. Especially when most of the offensive is fake.

What is happening to society...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

And why Apple has to keep him if he brings nothing but trouble to the company?
It seems that he didn’t just say it but also published that in a book?

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
I half-agree, but if you look at his book, it's clearly quite tongue in cheek and not to be taken literally.

I don't understand how slightly offending some people is now a life destroying offence. Especially when most of the offensive is fake.

I think it's because people get off on the power trip of how easy it is to use social media etc. to ruin someone's life now.

arcite

macrumors 6502a

When people tell you who they are, believe them. If someone posts something blatantly racist/sexist ect..., that's who they are. And here we have this doofus who wrote an entire book about it;

“His misogynistic statements in his autobiography — such as ‘Most women in the Bay Area are soft and weak, cosseted and naive despite their claims of worldliness, and generally full of ****’ (further quoted below this letter) — directly oppose Apple’s commitment to Inclusion & Diversity.”

More than 2,000 employees signed the petition before it was published by The Verge.

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
And why Apple has to keep him if he brings nothing but trouble to the company?
It seems that he didn’t just say it but also published that in a book?

Have you seen the book? It's not supposed to be taken literally.

I don't know how to describe it. It uses colourful language and ridiculous exaggerations. I guess for entertainment purposes.

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021

Yeah, lets all feel sorry about the mysogynist being held accountable for things they've willingly said and published to the public. My heart goes out to them, and certainly not to the women who spoke out that had to work with them and deal with their ****.

The fact you think "getting caught" is the issue here and not the actual misogyny should be concerning to you and you should probably evaluate why that concerned you more than the actual misogyny.

Last edited:

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015

I tend to agree. There's no possible way Apple didn't know about the book and likely initially planned to back him up or educate/indoctrinate him into the "Apple way", give him an opportunity to apologize, explain, grow, etc.

Instead they immediately thew him under the bus. Teen Vogue did the same thing with their new editor that said some stupid stuff on Twitter when she was 17 and ended up not standing behind her.

I don't know this guy from Job, maybe he is a real jerk, but I find it hard to believe that a company like Apple didn't know exactly what they were getting into and didn't have a plan to deal with it show everyone why they made the hire in the first place. Why did they lose their nerve so quickly?

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
In an interview with Vox in 2018, Garcia Martinez said, “most people don’t care about privacy. Media elites care about it, underemployed Eurocrats care about it. And the entire privacy-industrial complex -- there’s an entire set of very loud voices who are constantly beating the drum and building media careers around this.”

- Doesn't sound awfully in line with Apple's privacy stance.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
I tend to agree. There's no possible way Apple didn't know about the book and likely initially planned to back him up or educate/indoctrinate him into the "Apple way", give him an opportunity to apologize, explain, grow, etc.

Instead they immediately thew him under the bus. Teen Vogue did the same thing with their new editor that said some stupid stuff on Twitter when she was 17 and ended up not standing behind her.

I don't know this guy from Job, maybe he is a real jerk, but I find it hard to believe that a company like Apple didn't know exactly what they were getting into and didn't have a plan to deal with it show everyone why they made the hire in the first place. Why did they lose their nerve so quickly?

You can bet someone on the interview committee at Apple asked him "have you ever posted anything inflammatory?"....and then he lied.

XciteMePls

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I feel like cancel culture is giving uneducated, uninformed masses out there in the U.S. all the more reason to hate the people who bring about such calls for justice. And they get so mad that they elect Presidents who test the limits of our democracy and only seek to divide this country further.

Stop dragging people over the coals for something stupid and immature they said when they were younger. Stop making mistakes rolled off the lips or the pen of a person the sole definition of what they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.