Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I have to say, he didn’t seem very ‘Apple-y’ & more a fit for somewhere like Tesla, say

More troubling:

Apple are doubling down on ads, after making a big play of the anti tracking functionality in 14.5?

I know that the two aren’t mutually exclusive, but still…

And yet more flack at the Services division.

This has become Apple’s (very lucrative) problem child & the source of multiple lawsuits from Epic to the EU.

It’s drawn the ire of countless companies who should be its friends due to the App Store.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Apple released a press statement saying they fired him.

Let's hope when you lose your next job it's not in a press statement and shared all around the world.
Umm… He’ll live. It sucks for him and I wouldn’t want it to happen to me, but he’ll get another job. Just as we’re supposed to respect his thoughts/opinions, we should also respect Apple’s decision to let him go.

Let people say and do what they want, sure. Go for it! His thoughts/jokes/opinions aren’t the end of the world, but he’s also gotta take responsibility and navigate his way into places where the people agree with whatever he published in his book and whatever other views he has.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I vaguely remember a time when you hired people for their work, not their opinions.
It matters when their opinions (which is a reflection of their personal bias) influence their work environment, which in turn affects employee morale and consequently, the quality of their work. No one individual is essential, and Apple shows they are willing to walk the talk in that regard at least.

I don't know what Apple was thinking - hiring someone from Facebook of all places.

Glad to see that Apple isn't pulling a basecamp here. The way their founders (Jason Fried, DHH) handled the matter has been nothing short of a disaster and it shows that DHH hasn't been posting on twitter for close to 2 weeks now.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
A typical witchhunt to root out any opinion that isn't deemed 'acceptable' by a company that relies on sweatshops to make computers for owners who have no right to repair themselves. Diversity is OK unless you want diversity of opinion which is verboten. The typical santimonious "I'm more moral than you" whining from the usual suspects (Marxist 'liberals', militant feminists etc) at Apple and here on Macrumors is generally accepted as normal - but should be stamped out like the cancer on society it is. Let people have an opinion. If you are offended - so what!

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Umm… He’ll live. It sucks for him and I wouldn’t want it to happen to me, but he’ll get another job. Just as we’re supposed to respect his thoughts/opinions, we should also respect Apple’s decision to let him go.

Let people say and do what they want, sure. Go for it! His thoughts/jokes/opinions aren’t the end of the world, but he’s also gotta take responsibility and navigate his way into places where the people agree with whatever he published in his book and whatever other views he has.

You want to live in a world where being colourful and using offensive humour is a problem.

How about people stop being offended over things which have nothing to do with them.

I understand he said some mean things about women in the Bay Area, but do we have any actual evidence he hates women? I keep seeing people claiming he hates women, but does he just dislike Bay Area women or does he hate all women?

I know, I have a nuanced opinion and that's not allowed...

grover5

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019
A typical witchhunt to root out any opinion that isn't deemed 'acceptable' by a company that relies on sweatshops to make computers for owners who have no right to repair themselves. Diversity is OK unless you want diversity of opinion which is verboten. The typical santimonious "I'm more moral than you" whining from the usual suspects (Marxist 'liberals', militant feminists etc) at Apple and here on Macrumors is generally accepted as normal - but should be stamped out like the cancer on society it is. Let people have an opinion. If you are offended - so what!

The great defender of misogyny. Charming.

chasing.stoke

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Haven't we all said things in the past we regret?

The rule seems to be don't get caught. I'm not a fan of that.

There should be some way for people to be forgiven. Why destroy a man's life because he once said a few rude comments about the women around him?

Give the man some credit...he "destroyed" his own life

voraciousvegan

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
I half-agree, but if you look at his book, it's clearly quite tongue in cheek and not to be taken literally.

I don't understand how slightly offending some people is now a life destroying offence. Especially when most of the offensive is fake.

What is happening to society...
We're living in a new, extremely dangerous society, in which anything and everything you've ever said can and will be used against you. There's no room to even change your mind -- you'll be out the door before that. As for this philosophy, it won't be long until it personally touches its supporters.

In the meanwhile, whoever is smart will either not be heard, or just not speak at all.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You want to live in a world where being colourful and using offensive humour is a problem.

How about people stop being offended over things which have nothing to do with them.

I understand he said some mean things about women in the Bay Area, but do we have any actual evidence he hates women? I keep seeing people claiming he hates women, but does he just dislike Bay Area women or does he hate all women?

I know, I have a nuanced opinion and that's not allowed...
I never said I wanted to live in a world without offensive humor. There is a lot of fake outrage out there, but again… He has the right to say what he wants and people have the right to be offended. There also could be more to the story.

Also, there are several celebrities/comedians who have said racist/mysogynist things in their day and I don’t bat an eye because not everything is as serious as people make it seem.

He’ll find a new company. That’s that.

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020

There's two ways of looking at this:
  • He says a lot of tongue in cheek things, and his schtick is to be a bit shocking.
  • He's an evil criminal who hates women.
You really have to want to be offended to choose the latter. I guess life is now so easy people need to invent things so they can feel offended...

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
It's a type of humour.

I understand you don't like it, so just ignore it.

I'm pretty sure there are things in your life I don't like. Should you be forced to stop them? Of course not, your life has nothing to do with me.
Even if you don’t care about people, it’s worth realizing that putting someone with a history of publishing misogyny in charge of an organization that employs, interacts with, or exists on the same planet as women at a time when Silicon Valley companies have been hit with high-profile sexual harassment lawsuits is a financially unsound decision. Publishing that book was what we call a Career-Limiting Move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.