Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Apple seeded the watchOS 7.3 Release Candidate, which is typically the final beta version of a software update. The release notes for the update list a new "Time to Walk" feature for Apple Fitness+ subscribers, described as "an audio experience in the Workout app where guests share inspiring stories as you walk."

time-to-walk-apple-watch.jpg

Apple Fitness+ subscribers will be able to open the Workout app on an Apple Watch, select Time to Walk, and choose from one of the audio stories to listen to during their walk. The feature will likely extend to wheelchair users.

Based on a screenshot of a since-removed Apple Fitness+ promotional video shared by Twitter user Othmane, it appears that Time to Walk will include a 30-minute story from singer Shawn Mendes at launch. Othmane says the video also showed stories from singer Dolly Parton, NBA star Draymond Green, and actress Uzo Aduba, known for her role as Suzanne Warren on the Netflix original series "Orange Is the New Black."

While settings for Time to Walk started showing up weeks ago in earlier betas of watchOS 7.3 and iOS 14.4, the stories are not yet accessible. The feature should launch when the software updates are publicly released, likely this coming week.

A new setting on the Apple Watch can be toggled on to ensure that new Time to Walk stories are added to the Workout app as they become available. The stories will be downloaded when the Apple Watch is connected to power and near a paired iPhone, and they will be deleted automatically upon completion of the workout.

Apple Fitness+ launched last month, providing subscribers with access to a library of workout videos covering strength, yoga, dance, running, walking, cycling, rowing, and more, with new content delivered each week from a team of trainers hired by Apple. Fitness+ integrates personal metrics such as heart rate from the Apple Watch to motivate users, animating them on the screen during key moments in the workout. Time to Walk will be unique given that the workouts can be completed outdoors without needing to watch a screen.

Apple Fitness+ is currently available in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. Apple is offering a one-month free trial to all Apple Watch users, and an extended three-month trial to customers who purchased a new Apple Watch Series 3 or newer after September 15, 2020. After the trial, the service is priced at $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year in the United States.

Article Link: Apple Fitness+ Feature 'Time to Walk' Launching Soon With Audio Stories From Special Guests

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hate fitness reminders, but if they popped up with pics of cute guys like Shawn Mendes I might just obey.

A little something from a short work stint just for you.

Pic on the wall of which Shawn is a member of (also so is Shawn Desman lesser known today)

Attachments

• IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 145

pumpkinwhite

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Good to see them adding new features.

I wish they would add elliptical workouts. That’s a pretty common workout machine at people’s homes. I’ve been using the cycling workouts while myself being on the elliptical. The only problem is that the calorie counts during cycling workouts in fitness+ are grossly underestimated (as compared to when you choose a non-fitness+ elliptical workout via the Apple watch).

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
I am assuming that you do not need a treadmill to do these walking stories? I don't need a $4000 treadmill in my house.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
Will this also be the future content included in Apple's Podcast Subscription service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.