Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the watchOS 7.4 and iOS 14.5 betas, Apple is adding AirPlay 2 support to the Apple Fitness+ app, which is a feature that Apple Fitness+ users have been hoping for.

Apple-fitness-plus-feature.jpg

As noted by TechCrunch, Apple Fitness+ workouts will be able to be streamed to AirPlay 2-compatible television sets from an iPhone or iPad, allowing workouts to be viewed on a larger screen by those who do not have an Apple TV.

Audio and video will be able to be sent to an AirPlay 2-enabled TV or set-top box, but Apple Watch metrics will not be able to be displayed on the screen.

Activity rings, workout time remaining, calories burned, and burn bars will not show up on the television set over AirPlay 2 and will instead need to be viewed on the connected iPhone or iPad, but this should be a welcome change for those who want to be able to watch Apple Fitness+ workouts on a larger screen.

The optimal way to use Apple Fitness+ is with an Apple TV as the service is built into the Fitness app on the Apple TV, but there are many people out there with an AirPlay-compatible TV and no Apple TV set-top box to use with it.

Article Link: Apple Fitness+ Gaining AirPlay 2 Support in iOS 14.5

Reactions: robotica

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
Yay! No more needing my HDMI adapter!

Edit: Nevermind...
Activity rings, workout time remaining, calories burned, and burn bars will not show up on the television set over AirPlay 2 and will instead need to be viewed on the connected iPhone or iPad

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Wish they’d add more variety to the levels of workouts. All the rowing workouts are go hard or go home.

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
This is great, I actually expected the rings and other features not to work over Airplay devices since the workouts didn’t even work with Airplay when it was released, so this is enough for me to finally subscribe.

I’m just glad they released this so soon, I was really expecting them to take months or even a year before this feature being added since it wasn’t available at launch.

If they ever update the Apple TV, then I can consider how important those rings and on screen features are lol.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Probably still won't work, but it'd be nice if Screen Mirroring would work. The last couple hotel TVs hooked up to my iPad via HDMI & Apple's dingus didn't work. Mirroring would be nice for travelers.

Reactions: irishv

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
Peloton manage to display your heart rate during workouts with AirPlay so this is rather lame. Maybe it will come with a future update.

Reactions: richhh

tekchic

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Apple's gonna Apple. I still don't think this fixes those of us with the old AppleTV's, but it's a step in the right direction. Now if they would release a refreshed AppleTV with a new chip, I'll throw my wallet at the screen and buy it. I'll stick with iPad Pro USB-C to HDMI for now, I guess.

Reactions: jicon

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017
Probably still won't work, but it'd be nice if Screen Mirroring would work. The last couple hotel TVs hooked up to my iPad via HDMI & Apple's dingus didn't work. Mirroring would be nice for travelers.
Yup, mirroring with an HDMI dongle and cable works only if you have one of the newer iPads with a USB-C port. Lightning to HDMI does NOT work, and probably never will.

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017

With the watchOS 7.4 and iOS 14.5 betas, Apple is adding AirPlay 2 support to the Apple Fitness+ app, which is a feature that Apple Fitness+ users have been hoping for.

Apple-fitness-plus-feature.jpg

As noted by TechCrunch, Apple Fitness+ workouts will be able to be streamed to AirPlay 2-compatible television sets from an iPhone or iPad, allowing workouts to be viewed on a larger screen by those who do not have an Apple TV.

Audio and video will be able to be sent to an AirPlay 2-enabled TV or set-top box, but Apple Watch metrics will not be able to be displayed on the screen.

Activity rings, workout time remaining, calories burned, and burn bars will not show up on the television set over AirPlay 2 and will instead need to be viewed on the connected iPhone or iPad, but this should be a welcome change for those who want to be able to watch Apple Fitness+ workouts on a larger screen.

The optimal way to use Apple Fitness+ is with an Apple TV as the service is built into the Fitness app on the Apple TV, but there are many people out there with an AirPlay-compatible TV and no Apple TV set-top box to use with it.

Article Link: Apple Fitness+ Gaining AirPlay 2 Support in iOS 14.5
What about 3rd gen or older Apple TV boxes? are they considered to be AirPlay 2-compatible?

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Wish they’d add more variety to the levels of workouts. All the rowing workouts are go hard or go home.
Most workouts give three-level intensity options. Not done rowing but, would assume the same.

McKodiak

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
I thought the same and try to go along with whatever intensity they are pushing. However, I realized that you can define what your easy/medium/hard/all out levels are and do that.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Most workouts give three-level intensity options. Not done rowing but, would assume the same.
Haven’t done other workouts so not quite sure what that would look like but in rowing they take you through different levels of intensity (strokes per minute) over intervals, and they all tend to build up to “hard” and “all out” intervals, whereas I’d like to see some that were more medium and hard, as well as light and medium.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I thought the same and try to go along with whatever intensity they are pushing. However, I realized that you can define what your easy/medium/hard/all out levels are and do that.
Yeah I tried something like this — they will call out the strokes per minute they want you to hit at a certain intensity level, and you can just dial each one down by a few strokes accordingly, but there’s something about not doing what the instructor is pushing you to do that takes away from the motivation factor.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
Apple's gonna Apple. I still don't think this fixes those of us with the old AppleTV's, but it's a step in the right direction.
I am glad I got a 4K AppleTV when I did. Had I waited a year, I would be stuck with my old HD boxes. Every time I get ready to buy one, there is a solid rumor of the next one for which I should wait. Several years later I am still waiting and the more time that elapses, the more clear waiting is the right answer. :-D
Now if they would release a refreshed AppleTV with a new chip, I'll throw my wallet at the screen and buy it.
Be careful doing that. You might have to buy a new screen if you throw it too hard. I am also super eager to get a new and upgraded box, so I hope to see that soon.

I'll stick with iPad Pro USB-C to HDMI for now, I guess.
As a friend said, I have a Zeroth World problem. I want two TVs, one in front and one on the side, so I can see what I am supposed to do no matter which way I am facing.

• Haha
Reactions: tekchic

jose96

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2019
Wait, just so I'm clear, does that mean wireless AirPlay mirroring been implemented in the latest iPadOS beta too?

soundtribe109

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
While this is a welcomed change, I feel like it’s totally arbitrary bs that it can’t show metrics through AirPlay. What possible technical limitation could there be since you can view it from the iPhone/iPad anyway and that’s what’s streaming audio & video??? 🤔

as4life

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Has anyone gotten this to work? I have 3 airplay 2 TVs and it doesn’t show an option to select them when trying to airplay. I also get a black screen when I try and mirror it

Reactions: AppleMattH

laken

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2020
Portland, OR
Peloton manage to display your heart rate during workouts with AirPlay so this is rather lame. Maybe it will come with a future update.
I use the Peloton digital app - when casting to my Roku over airplay I just get the video, no heart rate. If this works on other Airplay setups I’d be interested to know that.

Alexwould86

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
The FIIT app displays heart rate, rep information etc from an Apple Watch or iPhone on a tv, weird Apple can’t do it. The FIIT app also lets you connect via lightening to hdmi, hopefully Apple at least do this..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.