Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
My wife got an Apple Watch just to do Apple Fitness but we found out Apple fitness is a unique Apple service so I am warning others.
No, it is not really any different than any of the other Apple services that have personal settings.
Unlike other Apple services where you can have an Apple ID that does purchases and an Apple ID that does other stuff fitness requires everything be the same.
This is the same for TV+, News+, Arcade, and Apple Music. Further, while the others can be shared for no charge as part of the family plane, Apple Music needs the family version to share legitimately.
We have an Apple ID for purchases that predates phones and watches. When we got phones and watches for a variety of reasons we got individual Apple IDs but still use the shared ID for purchases. Apple 100% supports this model.
They do not really support that model and the addition of family sharing made that approach less needed (and more problematic).
With everything except Apple Fitness.
As I noted, News+, TV+ and Apple Arcade do not work well with that model. Using that model with Apple Music is a violation of their terms of service.
Too late to return the watch but what a mess. The work around would be to buy family fitness plan but that still would not solve some problems (iPad and Apple TV would have to be assigned to wife Apple ID instead of family Apple ID). Big mess from my point of view.
The solution for your problem is quite simple. Create a family sharing group with all three Apple IDs. AppleTV supports multiple AppleIDs, add all three to it. For the iPad, pick the Apple ID of whichever of you uses it most. Make all future purchases on one or the other of your personal IDs. Fitness+ is the same price for an individual or for a family plan, so there is no issue.
The peloton app works great.
The Peleton app is $13 a month and does not support family sharing. Fitness+ is $10 a month and lets you each have your own profile for that price. In addition, one can purchase an annual subscription for $80, again free to share with everyone in the family.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
What. About. Elliptical??!!
Can’t believe they’ve left that out of the routines.

if you do the beginners yoga classes, and then the first few classes from each instructor, they do explain things more.

Look in the beginners section.
Wow, they certainly make it hard to find. I’m using an iPad and had to hunt to find it. You would think if you pick “Yoga” the beginner courses would be listed along with the 30 or so “Yoga XX Minutes with XXXX, XXX Music”.

I think that’s one of Apple’s biggest weaknesses over the last few years, discoverability. While Apple always had “secret“ features that only the cool kids new about, some of the bigger things are getting harder and harder to figure out. Maybe it’s just me...

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Maybe I'm missing them somewhere but I'd like to have an intro to yoga. They keep saying these poses and I have to keep looking up to see what the heck they are talking about.
Actually, something I have suggested that would help you as well is the ability to see each of the moves/poses with graphics showing what should be happening and multiple (selectable) angles. I have the same problem you have, and I have been doing yoga for a while. I solve it by making my BF watch and be the secondary instructor. :)

Something that Daily Yoga has that I really like is a poses library. Once can just work through each individual pose to understand them. It is part of the free version (I think). I would recommend that app as complement to Fitness+ (they always have a $20 for the year offer after using it for a day or two). :)

Reactions: Razorpit

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Looking forward to trying the “older version” as I struggled a bit to get going at the beginner level. My 70 year old body and 300lbs need all the help I can get!!
The beginner ones can be pretty good as well. Also, look at the trainer on the back left for the modified versions they help a lot.
But you won’t catch me watching Hanoi Jane!! Cavorting for the camera with North Vietnamese antiaircraft gunners while the US aircrews in the “Hanoi Hilton” are being tortured fits my definition of a traitor.
Do the Time to Walk with Dolly Parton. One of our national treasures.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Wow, they certainly make it hard to find. I’m using an iPad and had to hunt to find it. You would think if you pick “Yoga” the beginner courses would be listed along with the 30 or so “Yoga XX Minutes with XXXX, XXX Music”.
The beginner section was made available right when Fitness+ started. It has gotten a bit buried. It is a problem. I think a fitness test or set of questions to set levels would be great. Some of these things will come as they improve/expand the service.
I think that’s one of Apple’s biggest weaknesses over the last few years, discoverability. While Apple always had “secret“ features that only the cool kids new about, some of the bigger things are getting harder and harder to figure out. Maybe it’s just me...
Nope, not just you. It is that there are just more features and that makes it harder to find them.

Soddamarre

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
They would have to duplicate all this X 188 countries and multiple languages. Not a small task to accomplish.
They don't have to duplicate (?) or translate anything. They just need to not lock us out. There are a lot more countries that can handle English just fine. Look at me now, not google translating or anything!

EDIT: I'm from Sweden, if that was the question you didn't dare to ask... https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/english-speaking-countries/index.html

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
They would have to duplicate all this X 188 countries and multiple languages. Not a small task to accomplish.
Then it doesn't make sense that, as an English speaker living in one of those "impacted" European countries, I have all my devices set to British English, but I still can't use Siri (or even buy hardware such as an HomePod) just because I'm not physically present in the UK (for example).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It definitely is a mess. I don’t know what the specific problem is with Fitness+ but Apple should definitely allow to merge Apple ID’s. I also have two and it’s very annoying.
Wait! You can’t buy Fitness+ with App Store ID?

dmparry

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020

Apple today announced it is introducing new Fitness+ workouts geared specifically toward pregnancy and older adults, as well as several new Yoga, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), and Strength workouts for beginners.

Apple_iphone12_apple-fitness-plus-workout-for-pregnancy-and-older-adults-and-beginners_041521_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

The new Workouts for Pregnancy, Workouts for Older Adults, and Workouts for Beginners will be available in Apple Fitness+ on April 19.

The new pregnancy workouts consist of 10 workouts across the Strength, Core, and Mindful Cooldown categories. Every workout is 10 minutes long and designed to accommodate any stage of pregnancy and any fitness level, and includes tips for modifying workouts using a pillow for comfort as the body changes during pregnancy, according to Apple.

The workouts for older adults are focused on strength, flexibility, balance, coordination, and mobility.

Apple is also expanding its roster of Fitness+ trainers by introducing a new Yoga and Mindful Cooldown trainer, Jonelle Lewis, in addition to welcoming current Fitness+ trainer Anja Garcia to the HIIT team.

Last, actress and activist Jane Fonda will share inspiring stories, photos, and a few of her favorite songs in the next episode of Time to Walk in honor of Earth Day. This episode will also be available April 19. Launched in January, the Time to Walk feature provides Apple Fitness+ subscribers with audio stories from influential people that Apple Watch users can listen to with AirPods or other wireless headphones while walking.

Apple Fitness+ is a subscription-based workout video service, available in the United States, the UK, Australia, Canada, Ireland, and New Zealand. A one-month free trial is available for all Apple Watch users.

Article Link: Apple Fitness+ Getting New Workouts for Expecting Mothers, Older Adults, and More on April 19
Thanks, Apple, for addressing us Boomers. Now how about figuring out how to get two of us who like to workout together to log on together and see both of our metrics recorded on screen. Additionally add in some common strength equipment like elastic bands, etc.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Thanks, Apple, for addressing us Boomers. Now how about figuring out how to get two of us who like to workout together to log on together and see both of our metrics recorded on screen. Additionally add in some common strength equipment like elastic bands, etc.
Elastic bands, exercise balls, are inexpensive and have no place amongst, $3k rowing machines and $5k stationary bikes. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.