Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is widely expected to launch its first iPhone with wireless charging capabilities later this year, but rumors remain conflicting about whether the feature will be based on inductive technology, which would require a charging pad or puck, or a truly wireless long-range charging solution.

qi-charging.jpg

Apple recently joined the Wireless Power Consortium, a group of over 200 companies backing the Qi wireless charging standard, perhaps signaling that it is leaning towards an inductive solution. After all, the Apple Watch uses Qi, albeit a tweaked version that only works with Apple's own charger.

Qi, pronounced "chee," is capable of scaling from less than 1 watt to more than 2,000 watts of power, making the standard more than adequate enough for charging any smartphone. Its backing members include Samsung, LG, HTC, Qualcomm, Dell, Canon, Sony, Huawei, Apple supplier Luxshare, and others.

Apple is known to test many different technologies behind closed doors, some of which never see the light of day. Reuters today, citing "a person with knowledge of the matter," said there are still "at least five different groups" working on wireless charging technology within the company ahead of new iPhones.

Just three months ago, Apple was said to have more than 10 different iPhone prototypes under development, so it could be experimenting with different charging solutions for future devices; however, with iPhone 8 production expected to begin relatively soon, Apple has likely already finalized the hardware.

Apple will reportedly begin production of its upcoming iPhones as early as next quarter, so the first part leaks will likely begin to surface over the next few months, which should give us a better idea of what to expect.

Apple is rumored to launch a 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge OLED display, alongside updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models, in September. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said all three iPhones will feature wireless charging, while some reports have said only the OLED model will be capable.

Article Link: Apple Has at Least Five Different Groups Working on Wireless Charging Ahead of iPhone 8

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Truely wireless power (power at a range) will be industry changing. Imagine only having to think about charging your phone/tablet/laptop once in a blue moon, like how you do with remote control batteries or clock batteries now. Imagine free power spots dotted around towns/cities just like free Wi-Fi is now.

Let's hope it's coming and more importantly - it's safe.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
They will suck everybody in this year with new design and features and then maybe the following year a kick ass wireless charging option.

ImKay

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
England
I just know they're gonna have proprietary charging and it's going to be a pain in the ass if you have qi charging already

Reactions: geenosr

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Truely wireless power (power at a range) will be industry changing. Imagine only having to think about charging your phone/tablet/laptop once in a blue moon, like how you do with remote control batteries or clock batteries now. Imagine free power spots dotted around towns/cities just like free Wi-Fi is now.

Let's hope it's coming and more importantly - it's safe.

But .. but .. I'll have to wrap my personal bits in aluminum foil to keep the cancer out!!!

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Why do I have a feeling that it's not going to happen this year?
We want true wireless charging. Not charging on a mat.

Reactions: scapegoat81

zauriel

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
Nixa, MO
Qi, pronounced "chee,"

I've never heard anyone pronounce it that way. I've only ever heard it pronounced as Q-I, and that's all I'll ever call it. And hopefully that won't be for long, since inductive charging for phones is useless and long-range charging, once perfected, is coming relatively soon.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
the feature will be based on inductive technology, which would require a charging pad or puck,

I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but imo if the iPhone will have inductive charging, then it will be little different than charging it on a cable. Well, except you can easily use an iPhone that is charging on a cable, but I doubt it would be easy to use the phone while doing inductive charging unless the pad is small and magnetically attaches. Still, it would be almost like using a charging cable, so it would be kind of gimmicky to me.

This would be amazing, and would change how many things, such as automobiles, aircraft, trains, homes, offices, and many other things are built/designed.

I hope that the iPhone 8, X, 7s, 6sss, or whatever it will be call, has this technology, but I doubt it will.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
What's the point in wireless charging?

It presents the opportunity for Apple to completely remove that last remaining port, I get that - but that isn't happening this year. So, what's the point?

It's simply more inconvenient than a wire for travel, and provides absolutely no benefit in the home.

Assuming proprietary  Charge, of course.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
5 different groups working on this? I'm wondering how others do it... because they've had it for years and with MWC around the corner we will see new innovations where iPhone owners only can dream of. When you want technological innovation look at MWC at 27 February. When you want last years innovations at a premium price look at iPhone 8.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Wireless chargers which still require you to plug them in to the wall. Hardly revolutionary.

Over the air charging isn't revolutionary? I'd say that's a pretty big deal. :confused:

And remember that this will just be the first iteration of many. You can't really significantly advance any technology until you actually have lots of products out there and learn from customer feedback, or find problems that wouldn't have shown up during testing.

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Qi, pronounced "chee,"

I've never heard anyone pronounce it that way. I've only ever heard it pronounced as Q-I, and that's all I'll ever call it. And hopefully that won't be for long, since inductive charging for phones is useless and long-range charging, once perfected, is coming relatively soon.

This is how it is pronounced.

Reactions: Chopsan

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They will suck everybody in this year with new design and features and then maybe the following year a kick ass wireless charging option.

Probably but none of us are married to our phones and contracts are no more. If that feature is of value to someone then they can either sell their 2017 phone and buy the 2018 or turn their 2017 in for a 2018, depending on what kind of plan they are on.

Reactions: Soulman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.