MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple seeded the fourth beta of iOS 8.4 to developers yesterday with a fix for a messaging bug that causes an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to crash after receiving a specific string of Unicode characters via iMessage or SMS (via HDBlog.it). The bug also affects the Mac and Apple Watch and extends to third-party messaging apps such as Snapchat, Twitter and WhatsApp, as the issue is tied to the way banner notifications process Unicode.

Sending the string of characters to an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch results in an immediate respring, causing the device to crash and quickly reboot. From there, if the Messages app was opened at a list view, the Messages app crashes automatically when you try to open it. If it was opened to the conversation where you received the message, the app will open, but attempting to go to another conversation causes Messages to crash.

imessagescrashingbug.jpg

Apple recently published a support document on its website with a temporary workaround for the problem, and ensured that a permanent fix would be issued in a future software update. That fix has arrived in the form of iOS 8.4, which will be released ahead of Apple Music's launch on June 30. In the meantime, affected users can ask Siri to "read unread messages" and use Siri to reply to the malicious message in order to regain access to the Messages app and delete the message.

Article Link: Apple Fixes iMessage Crashing Bug in iOS 8.4 Beta 4

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Am I the only one without this bug? Some guys in my class wanted to fool me by sending that message to my iPhone 6. Nothing happened. xD The notification showing up did nothing, neither did reading the actual message in the Messages app. Nope, I can have that text on my iPhone (running iOS 8.3) without any problems. :)

Reactions: Orlandoech

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
People made this out to be soooooo awesome. I sent it to my GF and it didn't anything to her phone but messed with my phone and took me 15 minutes to get it back up. Guess that's Karma

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I was hoping they would release this is an immediate OTA minor update for everyone, oh well, we just have to be patient I guess.

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I was hoping they would release this is an immediate OTA minor update for everyone, oh well, we just have to be patient I guess.
This bug is just so terrible. At least everyone's devices will be usable on the 30th.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Am I the only one without this bug? Some guys in my class wanted to fool me by sending that message to my iPhone 6. Nothing happened. xD The notification showing up did nothing, neither did reading the actual message in the Messages app. Nope, I can have that text on my iPhone (running iOS 8.3) without any problems. :)

I was going to give a helpful answer, but then I saw "xD".

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I haven't had a single issue with iMessage. I post about 50 messages a day.

Billberryjuice

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
UK

Perhaps they had pasted it incorrectly - I've been generally avoiding the ordeal but I recall that it's possible to copy the text, paste it again, and a return is then required to make it actually affect the device (but of course I could be wrong).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.