Apple. For shame, what are you doing? New LED defective.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ntrigue, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

After a great deal of convincing I had my cousin in the Apple Store for a 2.5gHz Macbook Pro. (add details later)

We were doing initial setup and got as far as the assigning network step when the screen instantly darkened to the lowest setting. F1/F2 are unresponsive. I have PRAM/SMC Reset. Removed the battery for hours. All of this to no avail!

Brand New Macbook Pro with failed LED?! What has become of Apple?

2. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

So you take it back and get a replacement. Electronics fail. It happens.

For shame, indeed.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Nothing has become of Apple. Never in their history have they shipped brand new products that were immune to components failing. :rolleyes:

5. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Every computer I've purchased from the Apple Store has had a failure within days of taking it home. The only safe ones were ironically from Amazon.

6. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

x2

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Everyone knows that Apple sends all their "good" problem free computers to Amazon. :rolleyes:

The Apple Store is filled with mostly defects that Apple is trying to pawn off on all of us. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

seems like you personally have bad luck with electronics. If this were a HUGE issue it would have been corrected, therefore it happens in only a small % of product.

you got a lemon. You can return it. What is the problem?

and where does shame come into this?

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Then your cousin must be REALLY happy with you.

10. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Great responses kids. It's embarrassing to tell someone that an Apple product will solve all their hardware problems they have had with Dell and Toshiba and within minutes a far more serious problem presents itself. The Toshiba failures look miniscule next to a failed LED.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

No one "forced" him to switch, unless of course you help a gun to his head when he bought the computer.

I have bought about 3 computers from the Apple Store, none of which have had a hardware issue and were perfectly fine when I opened it up at home. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but what if this happened at a Best Buy? If you bring it back to them, they'll tell you to contact the computer company, and you'd have to send it in and be without a computer for about a week. Apple will replace it in the store upon inspection.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....what dont you understand about being able to replace it or getting it fixed?really, what dont you understand. Stop bitching, get it fixed, and enjoy the damn thing. At least you dont have to pay for the repair.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought that's exactly where you were going to go with this thread. :rolleyes:

You oversold Apple to your cousin and now you're embarrassed. Of course the blame goes to Apple (for daring to ship a product with a component that failed) than you (for being utterly unrealistic about Apple, ESPECIALLY with your experience of "everything I buy at the Apple Store breaks days later".)

Next time you run into someone that requires 'a great deal of convincing', do yourself (and that person a favor) and tell them the truth about Apple hardware.

If you're unfamiliar with the truth, google for "PC Magazine Annual Satisfaction Survey", or one of the more resent Consumer Reports.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well I've purchased an iBook G4 (now stolen :( ) and a MacBook, none of which had any defects at all. My MacBook doesn't have the cracking palmrest, nor the discoloration. My iBook G4 didn't have the defective Sony battery that Apple had a recall program for. It seems like you just had some bad luck, not even Apple has a 100% when they manufacture products. Some of them are defective and are detected, but a sometimes a few might now. Just return it, they will mark it as a manufacturing defect and give you a new one, no open-box fees or anything. free exchange.

15. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

soo...... im gonna probably start a thread on this but where is the best place to buy apple computers?

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Yes: Apple Store (Online or brick 'n' mortar)(new or refurb), Amazon, Uni Bookstores.
    No: Craigslist, eBay
    Meh: Best Buy

17. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Echoed. I've tried buying from craigslist and eBay. Not something I want to do again.

The Apple Retail Store as well as their online store are the right places to buy. Even better, Apple refurbs can often beat out the prices of other refurbs online.

18. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The direction I was going with this:

Increasing demand and market share for Apple; blessing or curse? They sure as hell aren't made in the US anymore.

19. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Re: Stop bitching and return it.

$3600 was spent at Apple 1.5 hours away. Due to the employee's incompetence the sale occupied more than two hours of our time. Then the next day 1.5 hour drive to return the product. Now it's 100% functional, 6 hours later.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The fact is, the quality is no differant than HP or any other computer manufacturer. They all use the same parts. Apple does not make the computer parts such as drives and monitors, they just design the cases the components go in.

I hope this has already been stated in this thread, I don't have time to read it all.

21. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My PowerBook that I bought in 2003 wasn't made in the US and worked perfectly, nor was my MacBook which does so as well.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why even bother taking that direction? :confused:

Back when Apple made Macs in the US (before the increased demand and market share), they still produced Macs that failed in a similar fashion as your cousin's (i.e. a third-party component fails after the Mac had been tested and shipped from the manufacturing facility).

The same thing can be said about virtually every company that produces consumer electronics.

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Every computer I've purchased from the Apple Store has been perfect after taking in home. Ironically, I don't buy computers from Amazon.

24. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

From a hardware perspective...

...why do we purchase an Apple?

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only reason I purchase Apple is because of the software (OS X).