Apple Formally Orders 'Pachinko' TV Series Based on Bestselling Novel

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has given a formal series order for "Pachinko," a drama based on the bestselling novel of the same name, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"Pachinko," written by Min Jin Lee, chronicles the lives of four generations of a poor Korean immigrant family as they migrate to and establish a life in Japan. Apple first acquired the rights to a TV show based on the book in August 2018.

The novel begins in 1911 with the birth of Sunja, who becomes involved with a married yakuza, falling pregnant and facing ruin in her small village. The town's minister offers her a new life in Japan as his wife, where she is alone, lost, and unable to speak the language. The book then follows the Sunja's family through eight decades and four generations.

The TV adaptation of "Pachinko" will be written and produced by Soo Hugh, who will also serve as showrunner. Hugh has previously worked on "The Terror," "The Whispers," "Under the Dome," and "The Killing." Eight episodes are planned so far.

Apple has more than a dozen original TV shows in the works, which will be distributed through an upcoming streaming service that will be made available in the TV app.

Apple is hosting a March 25 event at its headquarters in Cupertino, California, where it is expected to unveil details on the TV service.

Article Link: Apple Formally Orders 'Pachinko' TV Series Based on Bestselling Novel

2. theSpringZone macrumors member

theSpringZone

I’m just not feeling what Apple has planned, but I could be completely wrong.

3. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

I never thought an Apple car would amount to much, but I think Apple has a good shot at becoming a successful content distributor and maybe even a content creator.

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

5. deebinem macrumors regular

Alright! Count me in!

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

All my friends who went bonkers for Downton Abbey will probably love this show. Never underestimate the appetite of literature-loving audiences for a good domestic drama set against a historic backdrop. They don’t care what race or ethnicity or era the characters represent, as long as there’s a lot of interpersonal drama.

And how about soap opera fans? I guess the younger generation knows them as “stories.”

Jeez, after all the big nighttime soaps of the 80’s went off the air, my mom started watching soap operas from Mexico. My mom is Asian and is fluent in at least two Asian languages, but didn’t speak Spanish. However she picks up languages like some kind of prodigy and she learned enough to follow all the storylines and followed her telenovellas for several years. Totally blew my mind she could or would do that. But such was her love for long term family dramas.

Assuming people even become aware this show exists, it could become a hit. Apple will need to get their presence out there past the tech fans on sites like this one to a much wider potential audience.

7. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Seems like they are picking some interesting and well-regarded properties. Can’t wait to see what they unveil on the 25th.

8. confusedpurple macrumors member

It's almost like Apple doesn't believe popular genres exist.

How many Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure, Family, Horror, Comedy (real comedy, not Apple Dad comedy) and Thriller films/series have they commissioned again?

In reality what we're about to get is the same studio films and shows you find everywhere + a handful of extremely niche G rated shows that will be as forgetful and boring as carpool karaoke.

9. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Honestly, not to be a pessimist... Buttt I don’t think Apple’s original content will do well. I think it’ll be too vanilla and too safe.

I want them to succeed! I just don’t think they will.

10. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

Well, this is an 'interesting' choice. Avoid the issue of comfort women and atrocities committed during WW II and anger the Korean and Chinese communities. Address it, and anger the Japanese community. Fun times ahead.

11. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

Ohhhhh. I get it now. Instead of wanting to be like HBO, FX, AMC, Apple wants to be Lifetime.

12. pmau macrumors 68000

Sorry ... but I still don't care.

Here's my (general) issue. Everyone wants $10 a month for some developed series.
    Amazon, Netflix, HBO, Hulu ... and now Apple ...

There is a cut-off point for me. That's all I'm saying.

If they would push for something like Battle Star Galactica with no PC and SJW talk, I probably would watch.
    The next teenager "let me explain something" ... I really don't mind.

13. R.P.G macrumors regular

I bet Yakuza (and the minister)in this series will definitely be soft spoken/Loving and caring tolerant human being...

14. imageWIS macrumors 65816

Too bad they aren't producing good devices (hardware + software) onto which to view the aforementioned content.

15. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

God I hope so. Imagine a Lifetime quality cheesy thriller where two competing teenage Apple interns try to seduce 90s Steve Jobs.

16. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Content distributor, perhaps. But so far I'm greatly unimpressed by the content they're supposedly working on. Just the ideas. They projects so far seem too safe, mundane, ordinary, afraid to spark any sort of controversy.

When they get something like Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, something with some balls and bite, I might be persuaded to check it out.

17. lunarworks macrumors 68000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ibuted_by_Apple#Upcoming_original_programming

They seem to have most of those bases covered.

18. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

I wonder why BMW isn’t producing drama series and Netflix doesn’t build its own smartphones?

19. dumoore macrumors member

Yeahhhhh I doubt the book takes off. It's not like it's going to become a New York Times Best Seller. Wait... LOL

20. femike macrumors 6502

Not interested in the Apple TV shows, especially with a subscription. The book though could be an interesting read.

21. MRrainer macrumors 65816

Everybody wants a new „Breaking Bad“ - but if Apple would do it, people would say they’re just copying and they’re not „courageous“ enough.

They can‘t win. At least on this forum.

The book sounds interesting.

22. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

I think Apple will be so crushed by Disney.

23. vidjahgamz macrumors member

vidjahgamz

Honestly? I'm still not understanding why they're restricting their content to family-friendly only. Is everything seriously going to be G to TV-PG? No MA content at all?

What are they trying to prove exactly? Who is their target audience? Do they not see how popular Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video are?

24. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

Same here. I feel their content will be similar to Hallmark or Lifetime networks. Not saying this is bad. Just not my cup of tea.

25. JTBing macrumors regular

Perhaps because they don't have 3 trillion to expand with?