Apple Further Refutes Bloomberg Report Suggesting Chinese Spies Tampered With iCloud Servers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has gone to unusual lengths to thoroughly and definitively refute a Bloomberg Businessweek article that today suggested Chinese spies had planted microchips in the Chinese-made Supermicro server motherboards that Apple uses in its facilities.

Following the publishing of the article, Apple released a strongly worded statement calling Businessweek's report inaccurate with no evidence to support the claims, and this afternoon, Apple went further and published an entire rebuttal on its website.

[​IMG]

Apple's press release includes the same statement that was initially provided to Bloomberg Businessweek, along with additional information that the company says it shared with Bloomberg Businessweek ahead of when the server article was released.

While Bloomberg Businessweek's report claims that Apple reported the alleged microchip incident to the FBI in 2015, Apple told the news site in no uncertain terms that no one from Apple ever reached out to the FBI, nor had Apple ever heard from the FBI about an investigation.

Apple also told Bloomberg Businessweek that despite "numerous discussions" across teams and organizations, no one at Apple had heard anything about the supposed microchip investigation.

Apple's updated statement clarifies that Apple is not under any kind of gag order or held to a confidentiality obligation, and it says clearly that the report is "completely untrue" and that no malicious chips have been found in Apple servers. The full additional statement is below:
    Apple's initial statement, available below, was shared this morning after Bloomberg Businessweek published its article claiming Apple discovered illicit microchips in its Supermicro server motherboards that were able to inject code or provide instruction to the CPU with the ultimate goal of providing the Chinese government with access to "high-value corporate secrets and sensitive government networks."

Bloomberg Businessweek claimed to have spoken to officials with knowledge of the investigation, which Apple says did not happen at all.
    Along with Apple, Bloomberg Businessweek claimed that other companies, such as Amazon, were also affected. Amazon has also issued a similarly worded denial. According to Amazon, the report is untrue and Amazon has never found any issues "relating to modified hardware or malicious chips in Supermicro motherboards" nor has Amazon participated in an investigation with the government.

Supermicro has also denied all reports and says it is not aware of any investigation regarding the topic.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Further Refutes Bloomberg Report Suggesting Chinese Spies Tampered With iCloud Servers

2. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I don’t blame them for standing by their word. Bloomberg is huge, as is its audience, and this could result in major public opinion setbacks. Shame on Bloomberg.

They need shocking stories to keep afloat. If the editor did a poor job in their investigative journaling, regardless of authenticity and (lack of) proof, it goes to show you how powerful media snakes can be. The line between conspiracy theory and actual events are becoming blurred.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I find even the graphic to be projecting to people that aren’t tech savvy. It implies that the object in the picture is one of these chips, which is ****ing ludicrous.

Smells like the “manufacturing consent” stage of warfare to me.

4. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

It's an interesting reminder though, how much can be (potentially) discovered by something (potentially) so little. People like to complain about privacy from Google, imagine though how quickly and deeply your life could be affected by someone maliciously accessing your data cloud.

Bloomberg though are epic ****stirrers, they say stuff to prompt reaction. Their hysterical, near panic inducing articles they churned out every day for 6months after Brexit proved that. I blocked their feed as none of it was news, just FUD.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I guess Bloomberg is a tabloid now.

Of course conspiracy people will say. "Apple and Amazon are both denying this. That confirms that this must be true."

6. profets macrumors 601

Crazy. Possible that Bloomberg is really out of line with this article?

7. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

All we need now is for both these countries to be led by man-babies. Oh, wait...

8. profets macrumors 601

Apple really going strong with refuting this today.

9. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

10. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Probably a negotiating tactic by the current administration.

Bloomberg gets clicks with this fake story. The President gets support. Win-win except for Apple.

11. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

With so much Apple manufacturering in China I am POSITIVE the Chinese government has told Apple to fight back with all efforts. Again, this would make a great tech thriller.

12. SmileyBlast! macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

As a possible solution: Do you think it's possible for Apple to audit all their servers and remove this chip? Do you think it made it into any iMacs? Is there going to be a mass recall with Line ups at the apple stores with people getting their motherboards serviced? Will the servers work without the chip? So many questions...

13. drlunanerd macrumors 68000

drlunanerd

Well, someone is lying.

The Businessweek journalists who reported this could be in deep **** if they're found to be trying to short the stock of the two most valuable companies in the world. It's happened before.

14. cmaier macrumors G5

There IS NO CHIP.

15. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

Did anyone actually expect Apple and Amazon who stand to lose lots actually say "yep, our servers were hacked"?

Nobody really knows if this is true or not but it sure makes for good stories.

16. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

At this point, it's more likely the NSA added the chip and then pointed fingers at China when discovered.

Snowden, PRISM, and all that.

After all, Apple has openly refused to help the FBI. What better way to teach Apple a lesson than to seed a fake story?

17. now i see it macrumors 68040

Someone in this drama is intentionally telling a big fat lie. Who is it?

18. 0958400 Suspended

"narrative" - can we finally start talking about facts and not fabrications again? I am so sick and tired of people telling each other that they create fiction and Apple joining in on this "narrative" discussion, enables more of the "fake news" people. Just say it isn't so, period! "Narrative, my a..."

19. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

“Placing that chip is impossible. Instead, realize the truth, there is no chip.”

Also, yes, there is.

20. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

21. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

Good on apple to throughly dispute this, won’t stop the haters posting here though.

22. coolfactor macrumors 601

I remember back when I had my Mac SE, I purchased a chip that was supposed to boost the performance. It was a simple add-on... just open up the box and add the chip to the motherboard in a specific way. Yes, I did this, but did not notice any changes afterwards. The computer continued to work as it always did. Now that I think about it, I was WAY over-trusting, as that could have caused a complete meltdown of the computer!

Even IF there was a chip (there isn't!), what could it do? How would it open up a doorway to the outside world?

23. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Literally how can you say this when you have absolutely ZERO clue whether this story is true or not?

I think rather than journalism going downhill fast, media literacy has been going downhill for years.

24. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

If only we could open our devices easily to check........