Apple gaming console

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zheray94, May 6, 2012.

1. Zheray94 macrumors newbie

I've been arguing with my Microsoft-biased friend over this for awhile now, I mean I love X-Box, but, I wish Apple would make a gaming console! I think it would be amazing! What do you guys think? Why do you think they haven't?

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's tough to get a foothold and they can't make money on the consoles - they're sold to make money on the software.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I suspect they will. They already do in fact, it's called the appleTV2 / appletv3

All they need to do is open it up via the app store, ship a bluetooth controller (or even enable it to use an iphone/ipod touch as a controller) and all the ingredients are there.

No it won't compete with the xbox 360 or ps3, but it is good enough for the games that are making the bulk of the money these days (simple ios style stuff).

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

What was that called?
    Looks hideous!

6. And macrumors 6502

And

Look at the disk loader, it's called pippin.

7. nonameowns macrumors regular

apple do have a gaming console. It's the iPad, iPhone, and iTouch.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Considering that the best games are usually 1st party, Apple would have to do more than just create a console to compete.

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

what is this iTouch people keep writing? :rolleyes::p

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's an age-old touchscreen EPOS computer sold mostly to restaurants, cafes and the like. Why people on an Apple forum talk about it (it didn't even have games) is a bit odd. Must have quite and enthusiastic fanbase somehow!

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not going to happen, the hardware cycles aren't in Apples alley and unless they are going to make a game studio also the closest thing ull get is iOS devices.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Or an old Logitech keyboard with some multimedia keys.

Anyhow, I also have no idea what link iTouch has with Apple and why people keep discussing it. Must be some kind of hipster fad.

13. mscriv, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't think Apple is interested in making a console. They are taking on the gaming market through iOS and the App store. Why take on manufacturing cost when they can just take a cut of the profit from the software developers who make games and sell them through the App store? Like someone else mentioned games can be played on the Apple TV and if they do make a television set then I'm sure you will be able to play games on that as well. They don't need a console to tap into the gaming market. In fact, I would say they have a wider target audience with games through iOS. For example, my mother in her late 60's plays crossword games and puzzle games on her iPad, but she will never play a game on a console.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem is Apple would not be willing to put the front money to break into the market.
    When microsoft made the Xbox and started the Xbox project they flat out knew and admitted it from day 1 that it would take 10 years best case for them to even break even.

People called them stupid for it but MS was looking long long term at it. It really is what ties the computer to TV. It does a lot more things. Lets see my 360 plays media from my computer and controlled from either my computer or the 360, plays netflex, plays files off flash drives and it can play video games to boot.

On top of all that it does not have stupid file restrictions like Apple TV. It can play the common AVI files types like Xvid and Dvix.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The consoles are a loss leader and the games are where the makers, like sony and Microsoft hope to make money.

Since apples uses software drive hardware, generally speaking, it makes little sense. The console game market is mature, not growing and little room for another player to make a stab at it.

Apple is making money with iOS and many of the apps are games so why spend the R&D to create a console to sell games when they are making money with apps on iOS.

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

(Before we begin, do not nit pick on They. I have no idea who They are. They just are, and you're repeating their mantra).

They said the same thing when Sony came into the market with the Playstation.

They said the same thing when Microsoft came into the market with the Xbox.

They were proven wrong.

Sure, they also said the same thing when SNK came into the market with the Neo Geo and were proven right. Same for when NEC came into the market with the TurboGrafx-16.

But the point is this : the console gaming market is fickle. The war is fought on a generational basis and winners of the previous generations are never guaranteed to be the winners of the next one. You can be on top one day, and you can be gone the next. New players can come out guns blazing and take everyone by surprise or fade into nothingness before even shipping.

Apple, like any other player, has as much chance as the next guy here. The question is, would such an endeavour be reasonnable for them considering the profit in this space is not in hardware sales ?

I think not, hence I don't think they'll ever try.

17. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

newsflash: the biggest grossing games are on IOS, not nintendo, ps3 or xbox...

18. damiengolding macrumors newbie

But will consoles continue to exist?

As software is where the money is made in video games, it would only be worth investing in for Apple if they could make money from the software side somehow.

However, in reality with video game consoles becoming able to do computer specific tasks such as using the internet, don't you think it is just a matter of time before computers/video game consoles merge into one?

It is true that video games have advantages in running and playing video games, but in terms of production costs, mass-production is extremely important, so I wouldn't be surprised if the distinction between computers and video game consoles becomes harder and harder to understand.

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That won't happen. Consoles are for people who just want to sit and play. With computers, you need to fiddle with settings, etc to get the game running optimally. Some people can't do that. Some love to. There won't be a convergence point as long as people are still serious about games.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

What will happen is that traditional computers will disappear for most people and become a niche market. most people don't want a computer, they just want to be able to do the things they want to do. if a tablet can enable them to do that, they will use a tablet.

the iPad is leading that charge...

21. damiengolding macrumors newbie

That is actually the way I feel, just some people feel differently.
    Many people around me feel perfectly fine playing video games on their PC where as I much prefer the environment of a games console.

Yes, there are still problems about settings, especially in terms of graphics, but those problems have certainly decreased with better technology, and it is not just about the gamers, the game makers also have to consider costs, and so they may take more and more steps to save money. Just what I feel though, I will always be a serious gamer who prefers the feel of an old Sega Saturn control pad rather than the latest Microsoft control pad on their Windows machine playing a ROM.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The tablet (at least in it's current form) will never take away peoples need for a traditional computer. It simply isn't as efficient. People may use a tablet more often, but for most tasks a computer is just a more practical solution.

The cost saving thing is very true. A lot of game makers today start with a console game and then port it to Windows, which is such a shame. PCs have far more raw power to be put to use. I enjoy both console and PC gaming, but I strongly feel that one will never replace the other.

23. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Apple would have to spend time and money enticing companies to develop for their system, they'd have to get in at the start of a new Console Generation cycle to have a chance, people who are embedded in a console don't like to switch. However when they're making the jump to a new generation they will be more likely to try a competitors offering.

While some PC's are more powerful on paper than consoles, a vast majority of them aren't, especially in terms of real performance. Games for Consoles are heavily optimised for that system. I have a $2,000 Vaio with a processor, RAM and Video card that blows the Xbox out the water in terms of specs on paper. But trying to run Crysis 2? 20FPS on lowest settings, other games stutter and lag about trying to run at the same details that the Xbox runs at. So if games were targeted at the Computers that can actually outperform the Xbox, it'd be very expensive to develop, and would hit a very small audience. Crysis 1 hit huge losses for this reason, and it's the reason Crysis 2 was on consoles.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Laptops are not meant for gaming. That said, I do understand the reason game makers choose to develop for consoles, I just don't like it. Crysis was a beautiful game. Absolutely stunning. Crysis 2 on the other hand made no impact in terms of advancing the quality of games. What I find is that while console games are just as fun, it is PC games that make real advancement in the quality of visuals (which I consider to be an important aspect, other disagree) and to a slightly lesser extent, gameplay (HL2 being a prime example). Both have their place in the market though.

25. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The problem with advancing gaming that far, is that it's increibly expensive, and the more you push it, the smaller the target audience that can enjoy your game.