Apple Gaming?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by ginofresh, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ginofresh macrumors member

ginofresh

sorry if this is posted in the wrong stop but as i was watching WWDC this morning i seen apple talking about VR and even talk about a game on the mac? and talking about EGPU and metal2 so does this mean apple is looking to make there mac more able for gaming ?

2. leman macrumors G3

Metal2 looks like a massive upgrade and brings macOS fairly close to DirectX12 and Vulkan, which certainly paves ways for more demanding games on Mac.

3. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

With their recent updates, I think Apple is taking a serious look at how they need to handle GPU solutions. They're starting to realize that desktop users don't mind sacrificing higher power consumption for more graphics power. With Metal2 and the new hardware specs, they're going in the right direction and no doubt will be taken more seriously.

The biggest hurdle with gaming is convincing developers that the time and effort it takes to make games for Mac will be worth it. Mac gamers are a very small population, and the majority of them recognize the bottlenecks our systems have and play casually. Catering to gamers seems to be something they are pushing towards now.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

There are games that works well even for my MacBook Pro,it's just a matter of choosing the right game. Of course,games with fast paced action and high res graphics won't work,but if you don't need that,even Apple laptops can become good gaming consoles.

5. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

The real problem is how to get EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix and all the other guys to invest in developing console-grade titles for Mac, I can't see that happening, I hope I am wrong.

One of the obstacles is the AppStore, people are complaining about paying a buck or two for a professional app, even on the Mac, how would they react when they'll be asked to pay up to 60$ for a game, then for DCs, then to pay again one year later for a new version of the same game?

6. 827538 macrumors 65816

I seriously doubt any major titles will ever be made using Metal.

Apple should've included Vulkan support and then things could really be something.

7. p910115 macrumors member

p910115

hope one day I can play Overwatch on mac without bootcamp XD

8. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

hope one day I can play Overwatch on mac without bootcamp with more or less the same graphics and performance XD

9. p910115 macrumors member

p910115

so... you play overwatch will PARALLEL now :eek:?

10. h9826790, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I mean what I hope is not just able to do that, but also MacOS has an API that can really match DirectX / graphic performance.

Yes, some AAA games are ported to MacOS now, but always with lower FPS, and much less visual effect. Just playable is not good enough for me. If I only want to play games, console may be a better choice. When I play that on a computer, I am looking for the best possible graphic / performance.

As you said, as long as Parallel works, we can virtually play any Windows game on MacOS. However, the real issue is performance.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can't be following mac gaming news in that case.

12. 827538 macrumors 65816

I haven't been. What major games are supporting Metal?

13. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

From the top off my head I can name Starcraft II, Diablo, and WoW (all Blizzard).

14. 827538 macrumors 65816

I'm really impressed so many developers and games are supporting Metal, thats really good. But it would be amazing if they decided to support Vulkan.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The games mentioned above, plus Total War: Warhammer, Dawn of War 3, The Witness, and Firewatch should be just around the corner. Several other games have been announced, and since most major engines now have Metal support, we should see many more coming soon.

Metal will be the standard for Mac games within the next 12 months I believe.

16. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

I would love to see some games being developed like outlast series or some point and click adventure games.