Apple gave me a new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Geo411m, May 21, 2012.

1. Geo411m macrumors regular

So for the past nearly 3 years I've taken my macbook to the apple store whenever it had problem (battery life, HD, etc) well last week I took it in because it was running slow and would get hot after bring it in last month for an HD replacement.

Anyway, they replaced the motherboard and it was working okay but it wouldn't go into sleep mode. So I take it back thinking they just forgot to plug something back it and they told me I've taken the laptop to them 7x since I had the laptop and if I would I like to exchange it for a brand new year model. I was like HELL YES! I feel so lucky, I took in my old 2009 model with 2 weeks AppleCare left for a brand new still boxed model with new AppleCare 3 year warranty.

I have to say to any naysayers about extended warranties to buy the AppleCare warranty. It's topnotch and is ABSOLUTELY worth it. :D

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Another happy Mac customer. I too had my MBP replaced by Apple last November after repeated problems. This type of customer service has resulted in my owning several Apple products and remaining a loyal customer. Good for you. Enjoy your new machine.

3. zyr123 macrumors 6502

thats apple for you

find the right people and your treated like royalty.

i got 2.0 ghz quad 15 inch pro early 2011 a month a before the update. they replaced it to a 2.2 ghz quad core for free.

4. Geo411m thread starter macrumors regular

It's customer service like this that'll keep me a happy apple user for many years to come. It was above and beyond.

Nice upgrade! That was great of them considering you were most likely past the return period.

5. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Nice upgrade! That was great of them considering you were most likely past the return period.[/QUOTE]

yes it was past the return period. i recommend you buy a speck cover it keep the mac in perfect condition.

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

One of the many reasons I buy Apple products.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Bought my MacBook Pro in June 2007 and currently working off my 3rd and never paid for a new one. Apple's replacement service is top notch!

8. HBP macrumors member

Congrats.

It's too bad it took 7 times for them to catch on though.

Had mine replaced after 3 major hardware failures.

9. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Like in my signature, I had a 2008 Penryn which had many problems including the graphics problem. I called Apple Care and they told me to do one more software reinstall (which didn't work) before they sent me a 2010 Macbook Pro.

Funny thing is, this model similar problems as the 2008 one especially after Lion so I emailed the manager of the store and even though it was 2 months out of warranty, after a few more trips, they eventually replaced the logicboard again and also the entire bottom case which includes the keyboard and trackpad.

For some reason, even when Apple products break so often (in my experience), one still doesn't feel like the products suck. The OS and enjoyment and support really keep me as a customer. :p Not sure if it's me being a fanboy, but if it is, so be it.

10. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Any product has the possibility of failure, especially computers. The difference between Apple and other manufacturers is that they offer solid support for the things they make. Sure, you get a warranty with a Dell, but good luck using it.

All electronics fail, some people are unlucky or simply harder on their stuff than others and have them fail a lot. The products don't suck, and neither does the support. This is why you don't have a negative perception, despite the many issues you've run into.

11. theBostonian Suspended

i refuse to deal with apple UK because their customer support is awful, simply atrocious. it's as if they were put into apple's time machine and sent to soviet kazakhstan for training in dealing with people.

by contrast every time i've dealt with an american rep over the telephone i've had amazing service, they're not rude, nor surly, nor ineffectual. they have a very healthy optimism and get up and go attitude.

for instance, i had to return a mac (the 2011 MBPs) a few times because of dead pixels; the brit i dealt with said in essence "you don't have to shop here so we're not going to compensate you for this hassle".

after giving a negative review on the after purchase survey i was contacted by an american manager from this particular store who was deeply apologetic and offered me a £20 iTunes gift card which was a very nice gesture!

12. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Good to hear Apple is taking care of their customers. I'm going back to Apple laptop once the 2102 models are released.

The optical bay ejector slider on my Lenovo t420s boke after 10 months. Lenovo warranty got back to me saying this can not be covered as it is likely due to user error. :mad:

This is a similar spec machine cost the same as high end 13" mbp. One of the main reason I went for it was the 3 years next day on site warranty. Lenovo will send out an engineer to me if I pay for both the bottom case and labour cost (fat chance).

I'd from now on never buy and Lenovo products, and will advice any body asking for laptop advice to stay away from them as far as possible.

Apple on other hand refunded my apple care after my 2010 mbp got stolen.

13. hi-there macrumors member

Sounds like you will be waiting a while... 90 years!! : )

Imagine the MBP 2102 model hey? It will be the size of a watch with holographic display that pops up; neuro link translates your thoughts (brain wave frequencies) in to action. Makes Siri look old. You will be telling a story to your grand kids that there was a time when we use to talk to our computers! Cell computing in Mac OS X 10.9999999 combines the processing power of nearby MBPs (watches) and process CPU/GPU intensive calculations in nano seconds; MBPs of 2102 will all be powered by cold fusion so they never need to be charged; they came shipped with dozen nano bots so when the component is degrading or damaged (eg scratch your watch) and the nano bots will repair any damage; but Apple rumour has been going around that 2103 model will delete the holographic display and replace it with retina display (no, not the one from 2012), the MBP sends electrical impulses by your skin (eg. arms-body-head) to your eyes in a signal frequency recognized by your optical nerves. So your brains perceive display-like interface directly in your head. It is true retina display as it matches your eyes resolution.

14. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

It is not that difficult once you know where the Holy Grail is located. ;)

You made some interesting points, but I'd like to know by what cat name Apple will call their operating system in 90 years time.

15. HBP macrumors member

Should I wait till it comes out or buy the current model?

16. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

This is why I am happy to pay the apple tax to get customer service like this.

17. rpmor macrumors member

i think they'll move onto a new species or start using latin words lol but actually one of their public betas was called after a bear so its not a stretch for them to move onto other species...however not many make for great wallpapers so they have to pick wisely thats for sure

18. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I've had an amazing experience with Apple US.

Apple Korea on the other hand first refused to fix my display problems telling me that I should just stop watching movies in the dark all together to avoid the issue (which was severe backlight bleeding). So Apple US contacts the Apple Korea team, which they said they will authorize the repair. This was a week long battle of emails and phone calls.

Then when they replace my screen, they replace it with a 1440x900 display instead of the high-res that originally came with the MBP.

Now I have to wait another week for them to "look into it" to make sure that I'm not lying, then order the new part and call me back. Ugh. All the while the authorized repair centers are being rude as hell about it all.

19. hi-there macrumors member

I like it! Is it made of gold or made of wood? : )

As for the actual name of the OS X in 90 years... I can't tell you because I don't want to change the course of history! LoL!

20. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if my mac machine failed 7+ times i would be thinking about purchasing a pc. a free upgrade is pretty much the only thing at that point that would keep me using a mac. ive owned windows machines for over 15 years and ive never had any of them fail 7 times during myself owning them. especially things like hardware failures.

i have only had one failure to my mac. i left it running one night not plugged in and it drained the battery completely. for whatever reason the battery would not charge after that. tried all the magical resets you can do and nothing. the battery was 4 months old. i purchased a new battery myself outside of warranty and it worked perfectly after that. I likely could have gotten a free battery through warranty but i didnt want to wait just for a battery.

21. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

All his problems happened on one machine, so it is unfair to write off a whole company's products based on that alone.

At lest Apple tried to repair the faulty machine and no come up some lame excuse as "moving parts are not covered by the warranty" (I'm looking at you Lenovo).

22. Geo411m thread starter macrumors regular

Hate to revive an old thread but had to share. As many of you know Apple replace my old (dying) 2009 Macbook pro for a late 2011 model. Well when I saw the new Models come out this week I decided to give them a call since it was only three weeks ago. Making a long story short, they allowed me to bring in the late 2011 model for a new 2012 model plus they gave me $100 (plus tax) back and a 100 itunes gift card. Needless to say I'm a happy camper :D

23. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Hi I bought a 2009 Unibody still with Apple Care and I noticed an issue with now the keyboard light sensor. I already took it before with a dvd problem, and some isses with some small dents on the notebook exactly how did you talk to allow you to do that.

24. Geo411m thread starter macrumors regular

They said I brought it in 7x in the last 3 years and asked if I wanted a new machine. I told them heck yeah! How many times have you brought it in for repair?

25. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Hi I bought it used from eBay I dont know how much times the previouse owner took it in though but me 2nd time.